Level 2: Rookie

Accidentally deleted emails from all mac devices and webmail - can I retrieve them?

Answered

HELP ME PLEASE!

Previously I've been able to delete emails on my phone and it's never affected my imac emails but today I tried to quickly clear up some memory by erasing ALL my emails on my phone....AND NOW THEYRE ALL GONE FROM MY IMAC AND BIGPOND WEBMAIL TOO!!!!!

HELP!

I have some very important emails in there and I had no idea this would occur. Unfortunately I don't have time machine set up yet (only got new imac last month) and I'm not finding anything on the forums for apple or telstra. Wondershare ain't having any luck either. 

Firstly, can I retrieve these emails?

Secondly, can I turn this setting off so I can use each device exclusively without it affecting the others?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Accidentally deleted emails from all mac devices and webmail - can I retrieve them?

On the Bigpond server acounts could only be set up as POP accounts. On the Testra server accounts can be set up as a POP or an IMAP account.

With a POP account emails are downloaded to your device and a copy is left on server. When you delete a email it is only deleted on local device.

With a IMAP acount local devices are synchronised with server. When a email is deleted on one device it is deleted on all devices when they next synchronise.

if you wish to stop this happening again delete existing email accounts and set them up as POP accounts as suggested by @Jupiter

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Accidentally deleted emails from all mac devices and webmail - can I retrieve them?

Unfortunately, the answer to your first problem is that the emails are gone for good.

IMAP syncs messages across all devices, and when you delete from one, it deletes from all.

To stop it from happening again, you will need to set up your connections as POP connections

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Make sure you have it set to not delete a message after downloading, otherwise you will only get the message on thefirst machine that downloads it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

If you haven't manualy deleted them from the bin/deleted folder they could still be in the bin/deleted folder.

Sadly, you've confirmed my fears...

Thanks for the info. Funny, but this didn't happen when I've deleted them from my phone in the past. Is this since the bigpond email changes last year? I didn't notice any changes on my old imac last year, but this new one would have been set up with the latest email settings so that would explain the sudden change from my point of view.

Does anyone know of another way to free up space on a phone other than turning email off? I can't risk doing this again. Terribly inconvenient to not be able to access emails from the mail app on my iphone, yet it's just as inconvenient to not be able to take a photo because there's no space on your phone because of all the emails! I'm getting spammed A LOT lately - 100 or so a day. I don't know how to stop them other than consistently marking them as junk. 

Seems like I've got a few problems going on...

Thanks for answering my question. Much appreciated Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, to quickly free up space on my phone to take a photo, I did just that. Some very important emails deleted that I haven't even looked at yet, and because I get so much spam there are dozens or more that I haven't glimpsed to know someone has written to me. It's disappointing that the webmail doesn't provide a safety net because this problem would be very common. Thanks for helping Smiley Happy
Accepted Solution

On the Bigpond server acounts could only be set up as POP accounts. On the Testra server accounts can be set up as a POP or an IMAP account.

With a POP account emails are downloaded to your device and a copy is left on server. When you delete a email it is only deleted on local device.

With a IMAP acount local devices are synchronised with server. When a email is deleted on one device it is deleted on all devices when they next synchronise.

if you wish to stop this happening again delete existing email accounts and set them up as POP accounts as suggested by @Jupiter

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit