Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Account and Webmail passwords are not working properly on all devices

A while back, my account was locked by Telstra (it was being used by spammers most likely they said) and I was forced to change the password. After the change, I was able to log in to My Account BUT NOT Webmail. After hours of troubleshooting with a technician we tried to convert the POP account to IMAP for all my devices and did several password changes. We finally got it working and I thought maybe it was that the old POP account was just not up to the task any longer (for what ever reasons after 15 years). This week I had to change the password again (as it was wrong in the Keychain) and again I am having the issue that the new password won't work on any devices. I can log into Webmail using a browser. What is going on with this? I DO not want to delete the accounts and start over - it takes days to synchronise again.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Account and Webmail passwords are not working properly on all devices

Make sure the new password you entered in your email clients is correct. Some devices auto correct and add a capital at the beginning of the password. Make sure password is change for both outgoing and incoming server.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Account and Webmail passwords are not working properly on all devices

Thanks for that, but no it was alas not that simple. I think the primitive nature of the Telstra email accounts (without good security controls like MFA) is such that the settings in Catalina are too sensitive to change. There are only two remedies - delete the account from the mac mail client (I did not want to do) or hack at the server settings (turning things off and on like TLS, auto handling of settings, etc.) after a lot of hacking and running the mac in SAFE mode, I got both macs to accept the password and authenticate. What a hassle and this will happen every time I change the password! iOS was easier, just had to change the passwords. I did do all of this after waiting a few days too. I have found that often helps as the Telstra network integrity improves with a 24 hour processing cycle. I have 11 email accounts and only this one provides so much drama!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit