wrigle5
Level 2: Rookie

Adding another email address

Answered

How do I add another email address to my Telstra account, either Bigpond.com or Telstra.com?

Please note, I currently have Bigpond.net.au and Bigpond.com addresses and realise that bigpond.com = telstra.com for all intents and purposes.

I have already gone the "manage mailboxes" route in My Account as per various crowd support Q&As and there is No {Add Email Address} option available in the section that displays my other email addresses.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Adding another email address

Hi @wrigle5,

Kjorg (a Crowdsupport Community Manager) posted a month ago that existing customer's can't create any more email addresses.

"Telstra BigPond Mailboxes

Telstra has made the decision to stop growing its mailbox account base, therefore no new accounts will be able to be created via My Telstra"

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/telstra-mail/telstra-bigpond-mailboxes/td-p/928657

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

To block a sender in Gmail, you open the message, then click on the settings (three dot icon, top right of message) and click on Block (you can also report a message as Spam or Phishing from there as well).

To block a domain in Gmail, you need to set up a filter to send all messages from @<domain> to the trash folder. You can block multiple addresses/domains by entering them like @<domain a>|@<domain b>|@<user>.<domain> into the filter.

There are also addons that you can use to help automate the process.

A good article on this can be found at Lifewire.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Telstra stopped issuing new Telstra Mail addresses September 2020.

(Bigpond email accounts were migrated to Telstra Mail some time ago).

wrigle5

Hi Dowser

Yes, I'm ex staff and know Bigpond ceased to exist circ 2016 and current "bigpond" emails are really "telstra" emails.

Would you care to elaborate re "Stopped issuing", Don't new Telstra customer receive an email address?  

Jupiter

Not since September 2020 when Telstra closed Telstra Mail to new accounts. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
wrigle5

Hi Jupiter

Do you have any links to within Telstra re this policy.

And I make the assumption that even if I have an existing account, No new email addresses are allowed on my account?

Dowser

Telstra detail in their Our Customer Terms - Bigpond document the following:

3 Availability
3.1 "From 20 September (2020), Telstra Mail (with up to 15 included mailboxes) is not
available to new Telstra Broadband customers or for a fee as a standalone product if
you are not a Telstra Broadband customer."  (2020 added to clarify the year)

A contributor in this forum has asserted that some new broadband customers are still issued with email accounts but the password is not disclosed.  If the accounts are indeed issued, then it is a system anomaly rather than official policy.

wrigle5

Hi Dowser

Thank you for the document.

My question therefore transforms into-

Since I am a current Telstra broadband customer, and I have 4 email addresses (within the 15 limit)

Why can I not obtain a new additional email address?

wrigle5

Hi Dowser

Some items I wish to point out re your document, which I have now backtracked to the Telstra terms of service pages.

It states for NEW Telstra Broadband customers, it does Not include existing customers.

I have 2 primary email addresses/mailboxes, the other 2 are daughter accounts

I wish to add another daughter mailbox.

I cannot find any advisement of any limitation to existing customer who have less than the maximum 15 mailboxes.

If you can provide me with that information, I would really appreciate it.

Jupiter

There is no documentation that states that existing customers cannot add additional email accounts (up to the 15 mailbox limit), but the functionality no longer exists in the system to allow it to be done.

Telstra Mail appears to be in rundown mode, you are much better off using another service to create any new email accounts that you need. Most have better features anyway.

Smiley3
Accepted Solution

Hi @wrigle5,

Kjorg (a Crowdsupport Community Manager) posted a month ago that existing customer's can't create any more email addresses.

"Telstra BigPond Mailboxes

Telstra has made the decision to stop growing its mailbox account base, therefore no new accounts will be able to be created via My Telstra"

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/telstra-mail/telstra-bigpond-mailboxes/td-p/928657

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

wrigle5

Hi Jupiter

Thank you for looking.

And Yes It looks like I will have to go this way.

I was after a Telstra email because it has the ability to block individual or group URL email senders within the settings, which I cannot find within Gmail.

Would you suggest any provider that can do this?

Thanks again 

wrigle5

Hi Smiley3

Yes I have read that particular question line.

But the links within it seems to go to anywhere useful, as stated above it only refers to New customers and does not specify existing customers.

If it all proves too stressful(as usual) I will have to seek alternate means.

Please also see my response to Jupiter

Thanks for chipping in.

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

To block a sender in Gmail, you open the message, then click on the settings (three dot icon, top right of message) and click on Block (you can also report a message as Spam or Phishing from there as well).

To block a domain in Gmail, you need to set up a filter to send all messages from @<domain> to the trash folder. You can block multiple addresses/domains by entering them like @<domain a>|@<domain b>|@<user>.<domain> into the filter.

There are also addons that you can use to help automate the process.

A good article on this can be found at Lifewire.

wrigle5

Hi Jupiter

Thank you for your input

My mistake with Gmail was assuming the block feature would be from the inbox area as per Bigpond.

Lesson learned, again.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit