Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Bigpond blocking IMAP email

I am receiving the following error message when attempting to send/receive email on Outook for a business domain email account that is IMAP configured to a hosting company.

Task 'xxxx@xxxxxxxxx.com.au - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'

This problem dissappears when I move from my cable wifi connection to a mobile telstra connection. I am using a Telstra supplied Netgear CG3100 modem/router. My settings are:

Incoming server (IMAP): host server address on port 993 using SSL

Outgoing server (SMTP): host server adress on port 587 using SSL

When I test the connection as part of the Outlook account set up i get the following error messages:

• Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): A secure connection to the server cannot be established.
  • Send test e-mail message: Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.

Can anyone help with this. Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Bigpond blocking IMAP email

Highlighted

Yes I have tried those, but obviously with the incoming server address being my hosts server rather than the bigpond one.

Highlighted

Does anyone else have any ideas on this one, they would be much appreciated. 

I have tried Telstra support but after a couple of hours on the phone and providing themn remote access - all they could ultimately offer was a next level technician (at my expense - and unable to tell me what the cost would be)

Thanks

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Sjhsjh,

Sorry about the late reply. Unfortunately I don't have any further steps I can advise, which would be why you've been given the option of using our Telstra Platinum team. Have you spoken to the provider of the email? They may have their own servers to use.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I have had the same problems, possibly associated with the upgrade to Bigpond Cable 3.

The support has been absolutely rubbish and consistent with the support above.

Please be advised that this problem is not resolved.

1. This problem had previously been raised by me (last month), ticketed and not resolved.
2. My wife has raised the same issue separately and it was not resolved.  Apparently the fault was with the Mac settings - B/S as we can get Bigpond Mail on the Mac when tethered to Telstra GSM mobile phone.
3. The call yesterday did not resolve the issue.  I was promised a call back yesterday which did not eventuate.

I still have no access to my Bigpond Mail via the Bigpond Cable Modem

No one has called me back.  

The bizarre thing is that overnight, while logged on, I recevied Bigpond mails, but this morning the mac would not receive mails while attached to the bigpond cable, and yet does when tethered.

Just as well I have premium cable ...

The problem is not resolved.

Any recommendations (other than finding another provider).

Thanks
Highlighted

Waiting waiting... no 6 weeks since I reported the problem.  raised to level 2 support. no on called me back. re-raised the issue, promised call back ... nothing happening ...

Have to use my mobile to get email ...  such wonderful service

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit