Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Bigpond.com is blocking emails from my EC2 server - postmaster address is not responsive.

Hi, We operate part of our business applications from AWS. When we attempt to email any bigpond.com addresses, we are met with the following message.

Rejected (203.36.172.106:25:554 5.5.4 [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] Amazon EC2 not allowed. Please email postmaster@bigpond.com and provide the IP address of your instance for whitelisting. IB107) (were xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is our AWS server IP address)

Emailing postmaster@bigpond.com results in a bounceback/NDR

We've followed the guide here https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Broadband-nbn/Why-is-my-email-being-blacklisted/ta-p/76234 ... and found our IPs are not blacklisted by spamhause.

The emails we are sending have valid SPF, DKIM and DMARC records.

Who should we contact at bigpond.com in order to establish this trust?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Bigpond.com is blocking emails from my EC2 server - postmaster address is not responsive.

postmaster@bigpond.com is the appropriate (and only) contact.

You may need to send the email from a different account (although even with the bounce, the message should still get through apparently).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Bigpond.com is blocking emails from my EC2 server - postmaster address is not responsive.

I'm having the same problem from my church's email server which is AWS based. It is not in any Spamhaus blocklist. The server administrator says bIgpond is blocking all AWS and has failed to respond to a request to whitelist or unblock. I've just sent an email to the bigpond.com postmaster (from my bigpond.com webmail) but I'm not holding my breath for a response.

Ken.

Highlighted

Wow, I got a response from the postmaster (Brad) saying our sending server's IP address has now been whitelisted. That was quick, thanks Brad! My sending server is still getting the delivery error but I suspect the error needs to be reset. Waiting now for our server admin to confirm.

Ken.

Highlighted

All fixed. Once our mail server admin cleared the blocked stuff on his end I can once again send to bigpond.com addresses. It only took 1 hour from sending the email to postmaster@bigpond.com for everything to work again. I am impressed!

Ken.

Highlighted

Hi,

I am currently experiencing the same issue however we have not received a response form postmaster@bigpond.com and it has been 3 days now.  Is there a way we can have this looked into urgently?

Highlighted

I sent my email to postmaster from my bigpond.com email address. Have you done so too?

Ken.

Highlighted

Same issue here with our business email being blocked. Sent email to bigpond.com Postmaster on Friday but no response yet, followed up again today. 

I don't have a bigpond.com email address of my own so sent to them from my gmail, hope they read it. 

Otherwise is there any other way people know of getting in touch with the postmaster? 

Highlighted

No. The only way of making contact is via postmaster@bigpond.com

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I have also tried to contact the bigpond postmaster several times with no response at all.  Very frustrating. 

Highlighted

I sent an email to Brad (who has been replying to my emails to postmaster@bigpond.com) last night, mentioning this thread, and he replied this morning: "I will get someone from social media to reach out to those in the crowdsupport thread so I can followup on their requests."

I guess you could also try Brad directly on "Tmail-PostMaster <tm-postmaster@online.telstra.com.au>".

Ken.

Highlighted

Thanks for that.  I will try.  I don't know how to find the IP address of my email provider to give it to Bigpond though.

Highlighted

You should be able to work out the IP address from the returned error message. Mine looked like this:

Then lookup the sending server IP address using any DNS Lookup service (e.g. https://mxtoolbox.com/DNSLookup.aspx).

Ken.

Highlighted

Thanks for that... turns out they have 15 different IP address.  OMG!!  Probably no wonder Bigpond is blocking them.

I got a response back from postmaster and my IP was whitelisted.

Immediately I flushed the mail queue successfully. 

Highlighted

Hi All,

Ok,Why would a business as large as Telstra block a whole bunch of subnets, silly way to do email filtering, but anyways they do.

Which now creates another issue, mine and the many domains I host out of AWS are having email blocked/slowed due to this ahhh how can I put it, dull idea.

So to email bigpond from my primary email server(which is blocked) is not a very well thought out process.

Oh PS Telstra, I'm a business customer of yours too.

How to work around this, zero solution, you must email postmaster......but I'm blocked...so HOW???????

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit