Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Bigpond email not loading on computer

Emails are loading on my phone (slowly), but not at all on the computer. Have tried Chrome and Microsoft Edge.. just has 'loading' and then eventually tells me "Error This request took longer and timed out" I have used this email for at least 10 years so I don't understand why suddenly it's just not working!!??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
47 REPLIES 47
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Bigpond email not loading on computer

I am having the same issue, started a couple of days ago.  Trying to find out why.

Highlighted

Yes, same! Mine started a few days ago too. It is so frustrating and the live chat just keeps sending me generic links which are not addressing my exact problem. Please let me know if you manage to figure out the issue. I've wiped my cookies/cache settings but still no luck.

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Ok I have experiencing the same issue. I cannot log in via PC or iPhone. I have tried using the Telstra APP for a chat prompt , that is also not working. Thanks Telstra ...... the NBN at my house is super clunky and now this .... feeling very ripped off !!

Highlighted

I have had the problem for 2 days on 2 different computers.

Highlighted

Same problem here. Began this morning with my father's Bigpond email account (He's using Firefox browser). I have no issue if I redirect my emails to Mozilla Thunderbird email client.

Telstra has a section on how to set up getting emails to your favourite email client.

=> https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/how-to

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

There is currently an upgrade in progress on Telstra Mail (since 8:30am on 10/08/2020) which is causing the system to be unavailable.

Check https://outages.telstra.com.au for updates.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Same here. I have been strugling for more than 4 days.

I have tried every single computer in the house but to no avail.

It did work for about 30 minutes early this morning but nothing since.

Highlighted

This update still has a "to be confirmed" time frame on it after it already being an entire day. 

Highlighted

This problem has been going on for me since last week, so definitely not just about an upgrade. It's becoming a huge issue for me now because I need it for tax and insurance stuff Smiley Sad 

Highlighted

The upgrade is to fix the problems that you have been having.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I am having the same issue.

My mums email loads but very slowly and my emails I cant see and it times out.

I have noticed that my internet speed is very slow.

I am still on adsl 

Telstra what is happening

Highlighted

I saw that. I just wish they would be able to give us some idea of when we will have access again. I have important emails being sent and can't access them. Not trying to be difficult, but it is important for many of us.

Highlighted

It has been going on since Friday, they may not know real cause??

Highlighted

hi i am having the same frustrating problem have tried diff computers to no avail ,did load very slowly late yesterday with some obvious differences on screen but wasn't able to use emails 'delete etc very very frustrating ,logged off to reboot and couldn't access again ,too many fuzzy haired phds changing settings now 5 days without email,not good Telstra

Highlighted

Agreed - how can they be doing 'network updates' for over 3 days?! People use their emails for work and business communications, it is absolutely crazy for them to be updating for this long and it's just 'too bad - you can't have access to your emails until we're done!' When will that be? 'We don't even know.. to be confirmed'.. it's ridiculous and from the amount of posts I've seen with the same problem, it's obviously not something they've sorted properly. 

Highlighted

Frustrating! I need to be able to send work emails and can't!  Very very annoying!

Highlighted

I agree, I've been trying for nearly a week now and to no avail.  Has anyone had any success yet?

Highlighted

What is the solution to this problem? Same problem here. Frustrating!

Highlighted

I am experiencing the same problem. I use Chrome on a Mac. It worked for a short time yesterday (10 minutes) and then has constantly given a "Error This request took longer and timed out" every time I try a different device. My email will load on my phone but extremely slowly and inconsistently. I wasted all of the afternoon yesterday and a couple more hours today. Has anyone been able to contact Telstra to get an answer, as their "support" seems to be missing in action - yet again!

Highlighted

Hi all, I am having the same issue. Any resolution for anyone? My Mac gets no emails, one phone gets some and the other misses all during the day...  Can Tektra come on this thread and update ya all?

Highlighted

Updates can be found at https://outages.telstra.com

Resolution is still listed as To be confirmed.

Highlighted

And, one week later, I am still having the same issue and getting the same response.

Highlighted

hi, I got on to telstra yesterday after being disconnected several times. The guy said that they are trying to fix the problem, what the problem is he didn't know. He had no idea of when it would be fixed and just said be patient ! Great support. 

Highlighted

I have been having this same issue for weeks and am missing deadlines of emails.

Have held this account for 18 years and would like some explanation or help from Telstra. 

Highlighted

Same here. Had this account for years.. all of my bills and work and school communications go through it, it will be an absolute pain in the ass to have to change everything, but when you get no support or answers from Telstra, it really makes you want to not have to rely on them anymore Smiley Mad

Highlighted

Same here started today 20th August 2020

Highlighted

I guess the ombudsman needs to be involved!

Very disappointing Telstra...

Highlighted

The email started to work properly yesterday. Stuttered, I logged out then tried again and it hasn't missed a beat since. Still, I can't believe it took Telstra so long to fix the problem and there has been nothing from Telstra about the problem. I am seriously considering going elsewhere when I get time to sort out who is available, costs etc to match the inconvenience of having to change my email address and set up another with so many people and organisations. I really feel for people who are in business that rely on email and those that have accounts due that come via email. I would be looking for some form of compensation due to the loss of service, income etc.

Highlighted

Still not working and have been unable to access emails when necessary. Still have not received any response from Telstra after requesting assistance last week. Although I did receive a bill!

I will open a new account and start the process of transferring 18 years worth of emails to a new account elsewhere. Very disappointing Telstra 

Highlighted

@AL5891 wrote:

Emails are loading on my phone (slowly), but not at all on the computer. Have tried Chrome and Microsoft Edge.. just has 'loading' and then eventually tells me "Error This request took longer and timed out" I have used this email for at least 10 years so I don't understand why suddenly it's just not working!!??

Highlighted

Don't get too excited. Mine does the same, and then stops working again. It's been happening for weeks with my account.

Highlighted

The only was I've found has helped me is by following something someone else recommended. I've been able to access my email and change settings so I can forward all emails to my gmail account, so at least I can keep up with what's going on that way.

Highlighted

haven't been able to access my mail for nearly a week.

support tells me they acknowledge the problem and it is being fixed.

still cannot access it today.

Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

@juliett wrote:

haven't been able to access my mail for nearly a week.

support tells me they acknowledge the problem and it is being fixed.

still cannot access it today.

You can also lodge a complaint at https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Highlighted

I am having the same problem very frustrating.

Highlighted

When will this problem end. Has anyone had success in getting a reliable reply from Telstra?

Highlighted

They are down to the last server cluster (which affects about 2% or services). It is a bit of a moving target, but the latest is that services should resume to normal by early next week.

Highlighted

@Jupiter wrote:

They are down to the last server cluster (which affects about 2% or services). It is a bit of a moving target, but the latest is that services should resume to normal by early next week.

Did they elaborate on the actual problem?.

The timeframe involved is extraordinary.

Highlighted

I’m still having a problem one month after this supposed upgrade. No emails will load

just constant time out messages.

Highlighted

One month and no access to big pond!!!!!

im still getting the time out messages

Highlighted

The message from the outages page:

Some customers attempting to login into webmail (email.telstra.com) may be experiencing delays in sending, receiving or webmail loading during busy periods of the day. This is because one of our email servers is currently experiencing technical issues. The situation has been improving, however we are aware that some customers may still be experiencing delays. As an alternative customers can access their BigPond email through mail programs via the PC, Tablet or Phone. For guides on how to set this up, please visit: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/how-to/set-up-windows (Windows) https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/how-to/set-up-mac (Mac) or https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/how-to/set-up-mobile (Mobile). If you are still experiencing issues please contact us for assistance via https://tel.st/75wrx

Highlighted

Having the same problem, it started on Sat 26th. Can get email via phone, but not on laptop using Firefox. But just tried Microsoft Edge and it worked. I'd used Firefox on Friday and was ok, then Sat morning it wouldn't load, just the 3 dots flashing.

Highlighted

It has been going on for months and remains a problem, that is the receipt of Bigpond emails  on my Android but not on my PC. Sending is no problem.  If i want something to happen urgently I am forced to use my business account. Why is this still a problem after all this time?

Alistair Robertson
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

@Alist3147  @Jello What are you using to check Telstra emails on your PC. On your android you may be using the GMail app - which is an email client.

If you are using a browser and Webmail, then maybe try an email client on your PC - Outlook, Thunderbird, MailSpring etc. ( I wouldn't recommend the Windows 10 email app) and set up your Telstra email account in that, using IMAP settings - you might need to set a long receive server timeout setting, default is 1 minute then you get an error, so try the maximum 5 minutes to reduce the errors.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

@Alist3147 wrote:

It has been going on for months and remains a problem, that is the receipt of Bigpond emails  on my Android but not on my PC. Sending is no problem.  If i want something to happen urgently I am forced to use my business account. Why is this still a problem after all this time?

That’s a reasonable question. If you desire you can lodge a complaint on the Telstra website.

Highlighted

Thank you. i am using Outlook on both my Android and my PC as I am an Office 365 user. I have noticed delays in receiving bigpond emails for some time. Right now I have received nothing on the PC since saturday yet on my phone I have 12 emails today and 25 emails Sunday.

Alistair Robertson
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

You might need to adjust your incoming server timeout setting on your PC Outlook, for that account?

Mine (Pixel 5 and PC), use Outlook as well and work fine with my Bigpond/Telstra email accounts - but then I never had any issues whatsoever during the great Telstra email failure...  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit