Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Bigpond email not loading

For the last 3 days my bigpond/telstra mail has been really slow to load when I log in. Today I have been trying for 40min and I just get the spinning circle on the screen. Telstra support is non existant. The message assistant system is a hoax. Nothing happens when you click the link and I can't find a number to ring anywhere. What happened to 24/7 support?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
64 REPLIES 64
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: Bigpond email not loading

Thank god. It just not me.  I give up.Tried eveything. Exact same time frame,  now nothing .All the obvious things fail Like different devices. different browsers etc etc. Please if you succeed post again.   Peter.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Even allowing for the pandemic this is intolerable. My Telstra email stopped at about 6.30 on Monday. I’m on bigpond.net.au. It started up again intermittently on Tuesday and has stopped entirely. It’s now Wednesday night and I have no incoming emails. I started a conversation with tech support but they never responded and it’s now timed out. If I do get through to them by some means I’ll post the results. 
Chris

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

I managed to find a page,in the labyrinth of dead end support pages, that says they started upgrade work on the site begining the 10th. Thats 10 days ago! It says completion date to be advised. The funny thing is when you search this forum for this topic you find the same issue happening back to 2014 and there's no sollution offered. Increadible.

Highlighted

I have the same problem, "an unknown error occurred please try again later and the request took longer and timed out"  but only on the Telstra Mail site, if I use Windows Mail shortcut I get all my emails, the support people (Monisha, goodness knows which country she lives in)  told me it's an outage, all over Australia?? but how long can this outage continue

Yola
Highlighted

I saw that same comment- no end date! And getting so frustrated not to be able to get anyone or any help. Seriously thinking of chucking Telstra.

My emails are getting stuck in the outbox, and I'm not sure were receiving all that we should- I'm even missing the junk emails from companies etc. And that's on the PC- I cant even get my webmail to load on my phone!

Highlighted

Yet if you do a check for any outtages, there are none! What the?

Highlighted

I might go to one of the Telstra shops tomorrow and see if they have anymore info

Yola
Highlighted
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

Hi @Yolabel and everyone else on the topic.

I cant offer a solution just possible work around.

I to have had the same problem for weeks, Only time i can get emails to load is around 5am to 6am daily so that's when i have been sending and checking emails.

If you use a 3rd party email program it seams to bypass a lot of the problems.

Windows 10 has mail built in, This still seams to be working fine (for me).

Just click on windows key/start and navigate to mail and its easy to set up.

This is still listed as an outage. screen shot supplied.

To check for outages on email, Try here.

https://outages.telstra.com.au/#/email?pageSource=home

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Highlighted

@2446 wrote:

Thank god. It just not me.  I give up.Tried eveything. Exact same time frame,  now nothing .All the obvious things fail Like different devices. different browsers etc etc. Please if you succeed post again.   Peter.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

same here. I have tried 3 different web browsers and none of them load email

Highlighted
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Telstra sacked most of their Australian based technical staff. This is the result. They can't fix problems that are probably of their own making. 

Put a complaint in with the Ombudsman.

Telstra are not meeting their Conditions of Contract.

Highlighted

Just put in online complaint to ombudsman. Suggest all with problems do the same as suggested by another member

Highlighted

Let us know how you get on!

Highlighted

I spoke to one of the people at the Telstra shop and one of the techs is going to ring me back and tell me how to fix it, they did an update on the system, but it’s not the same for everyone because different search engines are used, she will look at putting the fix on crowd support as well

Yola
Highlighted

was advised yesterday my problem would be fixed in 24 yo 48 hours. Occasionally get a dribble of emails through using my mail client. Cannot directly get any mail on Bigpond Webmail.

Highlighted

Same here, 1 week of being unable to access emails during the day and evening! Telstra, read this and fix the problem.... YOU ARE HERE FOR US, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND! without clients, you have nothing, so treat us as valued clients please!!!!! My business is suffering

Highlighted

Hi fatboy6, do you have the contact email for the ombudsman, I'm not sure where to find it...hopefully they will do something if there are enough squeaky wheels something will be done. ....Happy day to you, and thank you for your advice.

Highlighted

Hi sickofthiscrp,

Apparently, Telstra has an internal email issue, it would be nice if they let us know what is actually going on in the Company -  Email Outage?

Try calling 137 587 Platinum Support.

That is how I found out after two days without emails and again today there are no emails being sent out poor show on their part.

Contact Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) place in a complaint they are really helpful.

Cheers

John

Highlighted

I’m still waiting for techs to phone me to fix email issue, I think I will be waiting for ever

Yola
Highlighted

This site kindly takes you to similar threads. Similar problems were occurring 4 and 8 years ago. I guess the new cohort have forgotten the lessons of the past. I confess I used to work for Telstra - there were always technical problems - but they had the expertise to solve them.

Highlighted

I'm having the same issue, no support & no acknowledgement from Telstra about what they are doing to fix this problem.  Very disappointed Telstra!

Highlighted

WORKING.  Email from ombudsman today that they had passed my mess to Telstra. Maybe just coincidence but dont care either way...  Just so happy to have it working.

Highlighted

I have had the same problem as all previous people. My Telstra email accounts have been down for over two weeks now and all Telstra can say is try it again in 48 hours. They haven't got a clue.

Finally given up on them and gave the whole tale of woe to the Ombudsman. Let's see what they can do. Taking down the email system while a lot of people are forced to work from home is a really stupid idea. We pay a premium to use Telstra and we should get a matching service.

Highlighted

Several days have passed. Lots of replies from other customers. When is Telstra going to say something? It's their system. Telstra doesn't belong to the public anymore, so not their job to fix it. If something as basic as email can't be fixed, fire a few more people - start with the CEO!

Highlighted

thanks rohan, this helped for some of the emails. 

Highlighted
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

Hi @bruarong 

Glad i could help in some way.

My Telstra web mail is still down, It actually got worse over the weekend now all i get is 3 flashing dots rather than error codes from the emails not loading.

You can still work around this using a 3rd party email client.

My windows 10 mail is still receiving my Telstra emails.

and it's still listed as an outage.

https://outages.telstra.com.au/#/email?pageSource=home

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Highlighted

Been happening to me for the last week and the online assistant is a joke

Highlighted

I'm getting the same 3 dots. Has been happening for last 36 hours. Very frustrating.  Will try the Windows Mail workaround if I can work out how to set it up.

Highlighted

been happening to me for about a week.so many people with the same problem.sick to death of it .

Highlighted

Hey everybody,

Been happening here since 10 August.  Those three flashing dots are so damn annoying!  I have Outlook at home so emails are still coming through but I like to check my webmail regularly because a lot of genuine emails end up in the junk folder.  This morning, I had a brainwave and used my iPad to log in.  Geronimo!  Success.  And, yes, there were two important emails in the junk folder which hadn't got through to my Outlook account.  I've send several requests to Telstra asking them to explain what's going on.  No response.  And that stupid little robotic message system is useless.  It's not good enough Telstra.  Get a grip.  And get it fast or you'll be losing customers left right and centre.

Highlighted

This is getting beyond a joke! My webmail has had the 3 flashing dots of death for over 2 weeks now. Get your act together Telstra, we a paying a premium price for a sub standard service. Please stop ignoring all the complaints &  Let us know when this will be repaired!!!

Highlighted

We get our emails through Outlook 2016 on the PC but I guess just webmail on my phone- PC won't or takes forever to send/ to load and as for the Iphone webmail forget it- sick of that screen saying 'Loading messages' then it times out or says Empty mail list. Ive had messages from them through Messenger with just platitudes and direcitn me to the My Telstra app- useless! I even wrote to the Adelaide paper asking why there had been no coverage of the Telstra issue- wasn't printed. 

Highlighted

Mine is still out. Did your emails get resolved? I am getting pissed.

@sickofthiscrp wrote:

For the last 3 days my bigpond/telstra mail has been really slow to load when I log in. Today I have been trying for 40min and I just get the spinning circle on the screen. Telstra support is non existant. The message assistant system is a hoax. Nothing happens when you click the link and I can't find a number to ring anywhere. What happened to 24/7 support?

Highlighted

After some improvement over the last 2 weeks, the service has deteriorated again. Online support promises to ring you, but never does. 

Highlighted

Mine started working yesterday. Working through a backlog of 130 emails!!!

Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

Highlighted

Hi Dowser

Yep.  Done that.  Twice last week.  Still waiting for a response!

But, wonders will never cease, the three flashing dots finally managed to stop flashing yesterday and my log-in was successful.  I'm about to go and try it again so have probably jinxed myself!

Highlighted

Mine been **bleep** for week and had enough.

Highlighted

Thank you. I'll also try that. 

I might also try a shareholder portal. Others have complained to the TIO, but to little effect.

Highlighted

Hello Dowser,

September 4. Very spasmodic and slow emails for nearly two weeks. Bits and pieces here and there. It's shut down completely now. Used your link to submit complaint. Many thanks as I'm finding it hard to negotiate the rabbit's warren. Not sure if it uploaded. No acknowledgement of receipt...just back to the complaints page.

Highlighted

So over this email problem!

Emails taking forever to download or not downloading at all.

I’m using mail app on iPhone and the notifications appear but then emails don’t download.

Like others I’ve tried contacting Telstra but to no avail.

Think it’s time to look for another provider.

Highlighted

@Nath2099 wrote:

So over this email problem!

Emails taking forever to download or not downloading at all.

I’m using mail app on iPhone and the notifications appear but then emails don’t download.

Like others I’ve tried contacting Telstra but to no avail.

Think it’s time to look for another provider.

I find that I cannot send any Bigpond emails using the mail app on my iPhone.

Highlighted

I called Telstra again this evening and was told that the solution is to use a different email address.

what a joke!

Highlighted

I contacted the corporate area as a shareholder in Telstra and got a personal response. The problem was acknowledged as being widespread. They promised to recontact me, but haven't done so. I get a dribble of emails through with my client App and sometimes Webmail works, but also times out too. I cannot understand why such a relatively simple function cannot be fixed. It's driving customers away from Telstra.

Highlighted

Reminds me of when Vodafone didn’t upgrade their network and it was crashing due to the volume of subscribers. People voted with their feet and left in droves.

Time that Telstra learnt a lesson.

Highlighted

@heatherdale wrote:

I cannot understand why such a relatively simple function cannot be fixed. It's driving customers away from Telstra.

The cause, complexity and resolution date all seem to be shrouded in mystery/secrecy.

Highlighted

You  can use their messaging service to report faults and then they don’t answer like I’m trying to tell them my internet is down too

it’s a bloody joke Smiley Sad emails not working either come on Telstra FIX IT  

Highlighted

Hi Dowser, I just received the following text message: "UPDATE: We've continued to work hard to fix the ongoing issues when using Telstra Mail email services via webmail. We've seen some progress however we know there's still some email issues that are yet to be resolved, particularly in relation to email webpages failing to load during busy periods, such as between the hours of 12pm-8pm. We know this is frustrating and that's why we're continuing our technical fixes on these issues as a priority."

At least they are doing something to fix the problem, unlike over three weeks ago when they just told me to retry in 48 hours each time I contacted them.

Highlighted

I’ve been dealing with identity theft caused by email breach leading to tax fraud and attempts to access superannuation payouts. There’s an epidemic of this sort of problem, partly due to the early access to super scheme having such lax security and no verification of eligibility claims. In that context, an ATO ID fraud officer disclosed that Telstra’s systems have been compromised. This fits with the situation in which Telstra seems unable to fix ongoing issues with email servers and why it hasn’t disclosed the apparent cause. You can image a huge loss of customer confidence if there has been some sort of systemwide hack or other breach, even if this doesn’t necessarily mean that email accounts have not been accessed. 

Reporting this exceptionally long issue with slow or dysfunction email servers to the TIO might prompt more effective action.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit