Tony_G
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond Email Slow?

On a regular basis I have found accessing webmail to be the slowest connection of all the sites I visit - by  a long way.

I have Telstra Broadband Cable access and generally do not have system issues, so the response time getting into webmail and then accessing is a frustrating time waste. This includes the time response for simple tasks like deleting a message. Also, actions such as delete or save to draft regularly default to a "Technical error" screen - but after hitting the back button the technical error appears to have fixed itself.

I leave everything in webmai so I can access all folders at all times (home/work/vacation).

Is the system overloaded or are there steps I should be aware of to overcome?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Ben_J
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Bigpond Email Slow?

Hi Tony,

Can you tell us a bit about the browser and operating system versions you're using when you're having this kind of experience? We can refer this to our tech team during business hours if they have some more info. 🙂

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Tony_G

Ben,

I am using a Windows 7 machine and whether I use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome it is the same.

Please note that the "slowness" experience appears to be limited to Webmail and other sites seem to be quick - eg NAB.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Tony_G,

I would recommend using an email app to manage your emails or migrate your BigPond mailbox to the new platform hosted by Microsoft on Outlook.com using this link: http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/#tab-bigpond-email

If you choose to migrate your mailbox, please make sure that you back up any emails and contacts stored on webmail. Any emails within folders on Webmail will be moved to the inbox of Outlook.com and the folders will need to be recreated by the customer. Contacts are not able to be transferred across. 

We also recommend that customers not request the migration at a time when emails are critical. 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Tony_G

Thanks Shelley, but when I read the contents of the link it suggested address book etc will be seamless. Is that info incorrect/outdated?

Also, you mention I should not migrate when emails are critical. Clearly in this day and age it is a key communication tool and we can't tell what is to come etc. Please expand on this point - is it a one hour window, overnight or just unpredictable.

Reading the link it seems as though Webmail is outdated (hence the slowness?) and there is little alternative to change if i want a proper service. Is there a risk I'll lose content if I follow the wizard - or is it pot luck?

Also, will the transfer process be unmetered or will I be eating into my data allowance?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Examples of a time when emails are critical: when you are expecting an email containing information for work purposes, contracts, employment opportunities, studies etc where a timely response will be required.

The email migration can take overnight however and it usually seamless, however things can go wrong, hence the precautions suggested.

The alternative to migrating is to use an email app on your computer/mobile to manage your emails.

You can confirm the correct settings to use by logging in here: http://bigpond.com/email-status

Viewing your emails via webmail  and downloading emails via an email application always counts towards your usage allowance, but the actual transfer on the platforms occurs on a server level and has no impact on your usage, until you log in via webmail to view/move emails.

- Shelly

colstron
Level 1: Cadet

Bigpond is saying use an APP or use Microsoft Outlook. The current webmail interface is solw the real question is why and what is Bigpond doing to address the problem. Please can we get a result as tired of looking at solutions with other service providers and work arounds?

Dan2

What is wrong with the bogpond server, people send me emails and they can take up to a day to be delivered.

I have tried this myself by sending emails from my work account and have sat and waited and waited and waited.

TimBartel
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dan,

Is this an issue that's started recently, or something you've noticed for a while now?

Cheers, Tim 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

don_c

Hi team,

I am also experiencing issues with Bigpond Webmail being very, very slow compared to every other site I visit. I'm using IE 9 and Chrome on W7 and it makes no difference if I access Bigpond Webmail at home on ADSL, at work on our dedicated Telstra IP Man, or on 4G.

As a paying Bigpond subscriber I am paying for this service and I do not wish to migrate my mail to US based Microsoft. Also as with others I wish to continue using the webmail service I am paying for because I use several computers so an email app is not a viable solution.

Can you please advise what work is being done to fix your webmail issue, and a planned completion date? 

Don

Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Don,

Unfortunately a lot of the issues with the MyConnect platform may not be rectified as we're in the process of moving customers over. While we're still in the process the migration is optional, but eventually all customers will be moved automatically. 

Do you mind elaborating on the reasons why you're not wanting to migrate? This would fix the speed issue also immediately. 

Brodie

David_W3

The Bigpond email server is particularly slow - taking over 4 hrs to send messages.

With all the changes with Bigpond, is this the new service level?

Or is it a temporary outage?

Very frustrating not being able to access Bigpond Technical Support via phone or email.

"Service Updates" link on Telstra page is not working.

Very frustrating !!!!!!

don_c

Hi Brodie,

Sorry I'm not following you - moved over to where? My webmail is with Bigpond and that's where it will stay (that's what I'm paying you guys for)

don_c

Ahh, I think I just got your meaning - you mean moved over to Microsoft? My reason is that US laws are very different to Australian laws. I want my Email hosted by an Australian company in Australia, not by a foreign company hosted in another legal jurisdiction.

Don

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi don_c,

The BigPond emails are at no charge. I don't believe that there is any way to prevent your mailbox eventually being migrated to the new mail platform, which began in February 2012 since then customers have had the option of migrating at a time of their choosing, as well as automatic migrations. All new mailboxes are automatically created on that platform.

In the interim, you can continue to access your webmail via the MyConnect platform, which unfortunately has a number of known issues when there are over 1000 emails stored. I would recommend deleting any unnecessary emails to keep this functioning well.

Alternatively, you can manage your emails via the following link which should reduce the number of issues you experience currently:  http://webmail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin

We also recommend that customers manage their emails via an email program. You can find the settings to configure these on the following link, however if you are sharing your emails across multiple devices, it is best to adjust the settings to leave a copy on the server for a week prior to being deleted. 

- Shelly

don_c

Hi Shelley,

In reply to your comments:

>The BigPond emails are at no charge

This is incorrect. I have purchased a plan from Telstra/Bigpond that incldues my home phone, Internt access, mobile phone, email address and webmail access. I am paying for all these services and this is clearly explained in the Telstra/Bigpond promotional material (you guys are not an altruistic society who gives things away - If your email addresses and webmail were truly 'no charge' then anyone could have one if they were a Bigpond customer or not - this is clearly not the case).

> I don't believe that there is any way to prevent your mailbox eventually being migrated to the new mail platform,

This "new platform" is presumeably, Microsoft servers hosted in the US? No you will not be moving my email offshore to a country where any number of foreign Government agencies can (and do) access the content. A lot of my email is 'business confidential' to Australian businesses and is not to be accessed by foreign competitors. This would be a significant breach of trust. My email will remain hosted in Australia because much of it relates to the IP of Australian businesses.

I will try the old login page and see if its any sort of improvement - in the interim can you please escalate this request and report back on just exactly what Telstra is going to do to ensure the privacy and IP integrity of your customers emails. It is simply not good enough to say you are going to move them offshore to another legal jurisdiction. We have Australian laws for a reason!

Don

don_c

Hi again Shelley,

Just wondering how this is progressing and if you have a complaint reference number for me yet? - The Telstra/Bigpond 'Complaints Handling Process' states this will occur within one day when posted on one of your web sites - ie:  

We’re committed to acknowledging complaints

We’re committed to acknowledging your complaint in a prompt manner.

This means that when you make a complaint over the phone or in-store we’ll immediately give you:

(a)    a unique reference number so you can identify and track your complaint;

(b)    an estimated timeframe for when we’ll resolve your complaint; and

(c)    details on how you can get information about our complaint handling process.

Where a complaint is made by email, through one of our websites, by post, fax, or recorded message, we’ll make sure we get this information to you within one working day of receiving your complaint.

Ben_J
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi don_c,

Unless Shelly has taken your account details via a secure manner then she cannot raise a complaint for you. You can raise a complaint through any normal customer service contact channel including 13 22 00 and Live Chat. You can also lodge a complaint online right here.

don_c

Thanks Ben,

I'll wait for her to reply to my post and if necessary, follow your escalation advice. Obviously it would be advantageous for Telstra to properly explain the issues and reasoning behind some of the comments here first - To date no one has in fact answered the question of why Bigpond webmail is so slow, or why you intend (?) to move some of your customer's mail onto US servers owned by Microsoft.

Also I tried the old logon link as suggested. It was in fact worse than the current link with a load time of minutes... What's interesting is that if I intentionally enter an incorrect password your site responds immediately meaning this isn't an authentication or bandwidth issue. The webmail system simply takes ages to display the page. I'm sure Telstra has the technical expertise to fix this however if not, let me know and tell me who I should to contact to give you a hand.

Cheers, Don

don_c

BIgpond webmail has actually become so bad now that 9 times out of 10 it times out with the error:

"Technical Failure

An error has occurred while trying to provide the page you requested. This may be due to a problem with your browser or may be as a result of a current system outage. You can check for outages using the Service Status page. If there are no outages reported on the Service Status page you may be able to fix the problem by closing all of your browser windows and reopening them".

Needless to say there is no information on the 'Service Status Page' and it's self evident that the browser is working properly as every other site is fine - nonetheless I tried the restart as requested and of course it made no difference..

Once again, can someone please report back on just what Telstra is doing to fix this and the expeted time for completion?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi don_c,

Thank you for your feedback. We are always trying to improve the customer experience and while things may change in the future, I can only advise of the current status of the network and services available.

We have previously allowed customers to migrate mailboxes across to Outlook.com, which offers a greater range of features than emails hosted on our own server. Due to technical difficulties, we are no longer allowing customers to opt in for the migrations to these servers, however new mailboxes are still being created on the Outlook.com service.

The  Technical Failure error message is typically resolved by making sure that there are less than 1000 emails stored within webmail. This includes the personalised folders, Trash and Sent folders.

If you need to maintain a copy of more than 1000 emails, then I would recommend using an email program to store and manage your emails as outlined here: https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary (I apologise for not including this link in my previous response).

It is strange that you are still experiencing a slow response when accessing email on the original mail platform via https://webmail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin as this generally performs better, even when there are over 1000 emails stored. It may take a little while to load at first, but from there you should be able to access navigate the mailbox much quicker.

- Shelly

sux

S l o w    s l o w    s l o w!!!!!!!!

Marygem

I have had Bigpond email since Jan 2009, and I too have experienced the same problems with the slowness of Bigpond emails, also technical fault logouts when I am trying to delete 4 to 12 emails!  It is a very very cumbersone email and interface.  It's absolute rubbish, especially considering Telstra are the most expensive telco in Australia and I'm paying for this rubbish!

I have completed surveys and forms and not one single Telstra technical support person has contacted me about it. 

Exremely frustrating!!! 

What is the new platform called? 

Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Marygem,

The newest platform is Outlook, however the migrations of emails has been ceased. Can you try using this link (http://webmail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin) and see if that makes any improvement? 

Brodie

PCPH

I agree with the other posts the webmail frontend is just about unusable.

I originally had a Bigpond.com account, which was upgraded to bigpond.net.au.  The only thing I have is email forwarding from the bigpond.net.au to the bigpond.com so we could keep our original email address.

Retrieving and sending emails through  the back end via desktop client works fine and I've used Thunderbird, EM and Outlook2010 etc.., however the front is terrible and I've tried Firefox, IE, Chrome etc.. all no different in performance not that I thought it would, I just wanted to eliminate possibilities.  (Also email forwarding to Outook.com doesn’t seem to work for me, however that’s another topic)

Normal browsing is fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong has the questions been answered;

1. Why is webmail so slow and when will it be addressed? (is it isololated to older accounts)

2. Will our email be hosted of shore?

Cheers

Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey PCPH,

The MyConnect platform is poor performing and we are aware of this. The migration process to move people from this platform was created to pull customers experiencing issues across the Outlook.com platform (which is hosted offshore). Unfortunately a few months ago the migration process was failing and has since been stopped with no ETR on the fix. 

The alternative link I've provided above is our work around for the poor performance at the moment. Have you tried this link?

Brodie

RLA

Why is the Telstra BigPond Webmail so slow to get into on the computer and IPad?

Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey RLA,

Which platform is your email hosted on? MyConnect or Outlook.com?

Brodie

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit