Rstewart
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond Email stopped syncing on Windows 10 laptop and Ipad pro, only get new email on iphone.....

Hi just a week ago my bigpond.net.au email stopped syncing between my Windows 10 laptop, my Ipad pro and my Iphone 12. Everything has been working perfectly before this, I havent changed any passwords or changed any settings or anything like that. Now I only seem to be getting new emails on my Iphone 12.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Bigpond Email stopped syncing on Windows 10 laptop and Ipad pro, only get new email on iphone...

What app are you using on your Windows 10 laptop, to receive your emails? Are there any error messages popping up?

Do you get any messages about 'validating' your email? There is some info here Telstra Email Validation 

Have you been able to login in to your email account at WebMail and are your sign in credentials the same and working successfully there?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Rstewart

Re: Bigpond Email stopped syncing on Windows 10 laptop and Ipad pro, only get new email on iphone...

Hi there,

I am using Outlook on all devices.

On the Windows 10 device it just keeps saying processing.....

On the ipad i get an error saying the "The mail server "Imap.telstra.com" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings.

My incoming mail server is imap.telstra.com, outgoing mail server is smtp mail.bigpond.com on both apple devices. For Windows 10 settings are: Incoming server imap.telstra.com port 993, encryption ssl/tls, outgoing mail server is smtp.telstra.com port 465 encryption ssl/tls.

No i havent had any emails re: validating your email.

I can log into my email via Telstra.com and see new emails.

Thanks

SteveW_52

Those settings look OK to me, same as I use and, touch wood, I have not had any of thoe Telstra email issues as others have reported. I don't have Secure Password Authentication (SPA) enabled.

This problem seems to happen to a lot of people with Bigpond/Telstra email acciunts, when using a client such as Outlook. It doesn't happen to everyone and there doesn't seem to be any particular cause, from all the posts here. There have been some mentions of validating the email address but I am not sure if there is a known way to do that, without the email prompt..

You could try the email trouble shooting at Telstra Email Troubleshooting   

A long shot might be to try changing your DNS setting for IPv4 and IPv6 in your modem, which might be set to Telstra defaults. Try Google or Cloudflare maybe.  That would be ironic wouldn't it, but comparing to my own setup, the DNS is one thing that is probably different in my case.

I assume the settings in your iPhone 12 are the same? Does that work OK if the device is connected (i) to your modem wi-fi? and (ii) if only connected over the mobile service?

Stevo 52
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Follow Steve’s suggestions, and also keep in mind that some users have previously found it necessary to reset their Telstra Mail password in order to get things working.

If you do this, then you would have to save the new password on each device.

Michael-1234567
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I agree - it has been very "intermittent" over the past week. Works fine in mobile and in the web client, but the windows10 MS Outlook client fails to connect. I try again a day later and it works, but later the same day it fails again, with the same error. I have not changed any settings, it is clearly an issue with clients attempting to connect via IMAP.

Rstewart

By some sort of miracle things a back to normal this morning, all devices are syncing again.........not that i did anything ....

Michael-1234567

yes, probably one of their front end servers having issues and you are on another one now that works.
Hardly world class support for an email system - "just wait until it fixes itself".

Michael-1234567

happend again yesterday and again today;

Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for redacted@bigpond.com.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for redacted@bigpond.com. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

SteveW_52

In the Outlook on your Windows 10 PC, what happens if you right click on the bigpond account name - can you see 'IMAP Folders' and 'Update Folder List'..  try running one of those and see if it picks up the folders ...

I haven't seen the 'redacted@bigpond.com' email address in any error messages I have seen, but the use of redacted could mean the account has been deleted or revised/edited...  but it's a bit odd..  and the account still works in WebMail?

You could try running a repair on the Office 365 or Outlook etc..  I'm not sure which you have to access Outlook from..

Stevo 52
Michael-1234567

Steve,

1. "In the Outlook on your Windows 10 PC, what happens if you right click on the bigpond account name - can you see 'IMAP Folders' and 'Update Folder List'..  try running one of those and see if it picks up the folders ..."
    - When I run "imap folders" I get the query dialog, but when I run the query it results in "The folder list was not fully refreshed. Cannot connect to the server".
  2. "I haven't seen the 'redacted@bigpond.com' email address in any error messages I have seen ..."
    I redacted my email address as I don't want it on the internet, it just showed my email address in the error - which effectively says it can't connect to the server, which is why it says "Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)".

It's important to remember that this is an intermittent error - nothing is changed on the client side (for multiple users). This indicates that there is a problem on the server side. As it would only impact one person if it was just my client setup. (Remember also I can connect all Thursday afternoon, but Not Friday morning, or Saturday afternoon).

This indicates a problem on the Telstra hosting solution - which may only be in one of the Client Access Server roles on one particular server. But it needs to be looked at by Telstra, not their customers.

SteveW_52

OK, that makes sense about not displaying your email address..

Trying to get the those lists without success does point to a server issue..  and of the worst kind, being intermittent as it is...

Lots of people have these intermittent issues with Telstra/Bigpond email..  I only have two active email accounts now, having moved them all to other providers such as gmail/outlook.com because I don't consider the Telstra offering to be fit for purpose. I sure don't leave any emails on those servers, I get it all in other clients, where I can manage, save it and manage back it up better.

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit