SteveB1956
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond email upgrade to 365 unable to add to 365 successfully

Hi recently upgraded Office 2016 to Office 365 I have a bigpond.com email. I have been searching everywhere trying to find out why my imap server now keeps popping up and i confirm password and ok and then nothing. Do i have to set up email forwarding from bigpond webmail? As when i login to 365 it doesn't have all my bigpond email information in it? Hopefully someone can assist?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Bigpond email upgrade to 365 unable to add to 365 successfully

Compare your settings to those mentioned in this thread.

By the way, Telstra WebMail is a browser based email client that provides an interface to the Telstra Mail server contents (of your account).

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

There may be a little tick box that says to remember your password that needs to be ticked.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveB1956

Thank you, I have done that as well, it just keeps coming up with the little box showing imap.telstra.com then password _ to confirm ok or cancel and if I retype password and ok, or click ok, it just keeps popping up?

SteveB1956

Thanks, I tried that too, just confused why it isn't a straight forward add to the Outlook app like all other emails?

Dowser

When you are entering the username, are you putting in the full email address?.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

If your email account is a Bigpond one, try using imap.bigpond.com  &  smtp.bigpond.com as the incoming/outgoing servers...

Also, increase your server timeout value...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

I am confused too, because when I have carried out the Office 2016 to Office 365 upgrade, the existing email accounts were retained..  

Do you have a copy of your old Office 2016 Outlook PST/OST file?  You could possibly restore the Outlook account information from that.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
SteveW_52

Do those same credentials (user account and password) work when you use them directly in Webmail?

Stevo 52
SteveB1956

Hi, yes works fine in webmail, I will try to restore as you mentioned thanks

SteveB1956

yes I am

Jupiter

You might need to oo to File->Account Settings->Account Settings->select your email account->Repair

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveB1956

Thanks I have restored my backup from a usb, any hints or tips on how i make it so every day i turn computer on, it goes searching for the usb.  Would i create a back up on the c drive so it uses that? thanks in advance

SteveW_52

Does Outlook now work properly with all accounts?

Can you explain what the backup was? Single file? file extension? Did you import it? Did the import include all the required accounts/folders? Do you now have 2 of everything? 

You shouldn't need to keep referring to the USB..

For the future, something like Safe PST Backup might be useful to you - you can take scheduled backups on a regular basis and store them wherever suits you (the backups should not be in the same drive/partition as the main program). The free version would probably suit you..

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit