Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Bigpond Email

Answered

I am trying to setup Thunderbird on a laptop using a pre-paid 3g mobile broadband account to recieve and send email through my bigpond email accounts.

I still use my dial-up email account as my main email account  (username@bigpond.com) and would like to access this account through 3g.

I have been able to setup my username@bigpond.net.au account OK but cannot setup the username@bigpond.com account.

Is there any reason for this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Bigpond Email

@hartleyts18 wrote:

I am trying to setup Thunderbird on a laptop using a pre-paid 3g mobile broadband account to recieve and send email through my bigpond email accounts.

I still use my dial-up email account as my main email account  (username@bigpond.com) and would like to access this account through 3g.

I have been able to setup my username@bigpond.net.au account OK but cannot setup the username@bigpond.com account.

There are no real differences between the 2 other then the domain.

Just to confirm, your using the following settings:

Incoming (POP3) mail server:  mail.bigpond.com
Outgoing (SMTP) mail server: 
 mail.bigpond.com
Username: 
 Your full BigPond email address (e.g. username@bigpond.net.au or username@bigpond.com)
Password: 
 Your email password

If this doesn't work, can you access your Bigpond.com account via http://messaging.bigpond.com. If you can't access it via the web there could be a password related issue going on.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Ben

Thaks for confirming that I was using the correct details.

The problem was is that I was connected to a LAN (to enable access to my mail folder on a server) and 3g at the same time.

I found that if I disconnect the LAN the setup will work. This also required a folder on the netbook for the mail file.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@hartleyts18 wrote:

There are no real differences between the 2 other then the domain.

Just to confirm, your using the following settings:

Incoming (POP3) mail server:  mail.bigpond.com
Outgoing (SMTP) mail server: 
 mail.bigpond.com
Username: 
 Your full BigPond email address (e.g. username@bigpond.net.au or username@bigpond.com)
Password: 
 Your email password

If this doesn't work, can you access your Bigpond.com account via http://messaging.bigpond.com. If you can't access it via the web there could be a password related issue going on.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Ben

Thaks for confirming that I was using the correct details.

The problem was is that I was connected to a LAN (to enable access to my mail folder on a server) and 3g at the same time.

I found that if I disconnect the LAN the setup will work. This also required a folder on the netbook for the mail file.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Good on ya!.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

thanks ben the imformation you provided to hartleys 18. it was very helpfull to me after my email on my htc sensation stopped working. the last email i recieved was the apology from telstra. and after phone consultations with 6 different call operaters it was put into the too hard basket and was to be investigated by a tech sometime next week. so thanks again ben you've been a great help..

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit