pete2103
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond emails bouncing back

Every time I send an email to bigpond.com, bigpond.net, bigpond.net.au or telstra.com it bounces back with a message saying the server could not be reached.

Please help, I need to be able to email my family and customers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Bigpond emails bouncing back

Where are you sending the emails from - Webmail or from a diffent email client?

What sort of device is this happening on?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
pete2103

I am sending the emails from my laptop browser from an outlook email. I've never had a problem and don't have an issue with any other emails, only bigpond. It only started rejecting a few days ago.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Forward a copy of the bounce message, along with your contact details and when the problem started to postmaster@bigpond.com

If you get a bounce message when you try to do that, can you post a copy of the bounce message here (after you xxxx out your email address).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
pete2103

thanks. I've sent the last email to the above. It's generally been taking 24hrs or so to receive a reply so I will respond here when I receive anything further from that email address.

pete2103

this is the email response that I get back when it bounces.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

xxx@bigpond.com) 
Your message wasn't delivered. Despite repeated attempts to deliver your message, a connection to the remote server couldn't be made.

Contact the recipient by some other means (by phone, for example) and ask them to tell their email admin that it appears that your email system is unable to connecto their email system. Give them the error details shown below. It's likely that the recipient's email admin is the only one who can fix this problem.

For more information and tips to fix this issue see this article: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=389361 .

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: OS3P286MB1109.JPNP286.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM
Receiving server: OS3P286MB1109.JPNP286.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM

xxx@bigpond.com
11/22/2021 3:39:34 AM - Server at OS3P286MB1109.JPNP286.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM returned '550 5.4.317 Message expired, cannot connect to remote server(450-4.4.317 Cannot connect to remote server [Message=550-5.7.1 Connection refused - IB116. 40.92.99.77 senderscore too low. Please check https://senderscore.org [TYCJPN01FT015.eop-JPN01.prod.protection.outlook.com] 450 4.4.317 550 4.7.25 Temporarily rejected. Reverse DNS for 40.92.99.77 failed. IB108] [LastAttemptedServerName=bigpond.com] [LastAttemptedIP=203.36.137.234:25])'
11/22/2021 3:29:33 AM - Server at bigpond.com (203.36.137.234) returned '450-4.4.317 Cannot connect to remote server [Message=550-5.7.1 Connection refused - IB116. 40.92.99.77 senderscore too low. Please check https://senderscore.org [TYCJPN01FT015.eop-JPN01.prod.protection.outlook.com] 450 4.4.317 550 4.7.25 Temporarily rejected. Reverse DNS for 40.92.99.77 failed. IB108] [LastAttemptedServerName=bigpond.com] [LastAttemptedIP=203.36.137.234:25]'

Jupiter

It would appear that your mail server has been blacklisted.

According to UCEPROTECT®-Network - Spam Database Query it should be automatically delisted on 25/11/2021 0:00 GMT (25/11/21 11:00am AEDT). Only Microsoft can request an express delisting as it is their server.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
pete2103

Does this mean that someone has reported my email as spam maybe? Thankyou very much, hopefully it's lifted after 25/11 and I can continue emailing my family aand customers  

Jupiter

No. It means someone who is using the same email server (many thousands of people share the same server IP address) has been sending out spam. That particular reporting service has a default 7 day blacklisting from the last detected spam message being seen.

It does mean that Microsoft has some improvements to do to its system to prevent that type of thing from happening.

pete2103

thankyou for explaining So if this happens again, I should wait 7 days before panicking

Jupiter

mxtoolbox.com is a good way to check for email blacklists. You can search via address or IP address and it usually gives you pretty accurate information. So when you get a bounce message, head there and do a quick check to see what is going on.

pete2103

I contacted Telstra 24/7 and they advised me to contact Microsoft.

30 minutes on the phone to Microsoft and they could not help me. Told me to create a new email address for myself.

Telstra help want to check my Telstra account settings. How does this affect my hotmail email?

Someone please help me.

Jupiter

I'd just be waiting another 18 hours and see what happens.

On the Telstra side, only postmaster@bigpond.com can do anything about it.

Microsoft should be the ones fixing it as it is their server that has been blacklisted. They should be taking action to fix the cause of the problem (spammer using their server) and then requesting an expedited delisting.

pete2103

thanks, that's what I said to them but they weren't interested. The email I sent to postmaster bounced back too.

pete2103

I have spoken on the phone to a Telstra technician today. He had a look at mxtoolbox and also spfbl.net which says that most blacklists are for 7 days. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day it will all be over for me.

pete2103

It's now been 9 days, the emails are still being rejected and neither Microsoft or Telstra want to help me. Both keep referring me to the other.

Jupiter

Microsoft really need to be the ones to fix the problem. Their whole 40.92.99.0/24 subnet is now listed (level 2) due to spammers.

LordShaxx
Level 1: Cadet

I also have a client experiencing this same problem. Did yours ever resolve? We keep getting passed back and forth between Telstra and Microsoft blaming each other.

I've got an entire Crucible to officiate, Guardian. Don't make me wait.
pete2103

Not yet. Microsoft are now emailing me back and forth, generally once a day as they are in the US. I've sent them screenshots of the rejection emails and the mxtoolbox, also who I have spoken to etc and they have not resolved this as yet. I will update here if there is anything further to tell. Very frustrating in the meantime.

pete2103

After 18 DAYS this has finally been resolved for me!
Back and forth with emails to Microsoft. Sometimes I'd wait 2 or 3 days for a response and they asked for multiple screenshots and copies of emails to be sent in various formats.

Last night my case was referred to a Tier 3 Support Engineer and they have fixed it for me. This was their response when I asked what the issue was:

It seems the issue was related to platform authentication which has been rectified by our backend team. You would not be facing this issue again. If you have any other questions or concerns, you can contact us again from the Outlool.com web app. Simply click on the ? in the top menu bar and click Help to start a new ticket.

Thank you to all who have replied to me and helped me see this through. Hopefully now I can get back to emailing my family and customers without issue

LordShaxx

Thanks for the update. I have confirmed with my client and they are back sending emails again as well. I guess if it happens in the future we know what to do - keep pressuring the Level 3 Support Engineers at Microsoft!

pete2103

I'm glad your client's was resolved quickly. 18 days without being able to email family and some of my customers was ridiculous!

LordShaxx

Oh no it wasn't quick. They have been having the issue at least 10 days. It was quite the inconvenience!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit