Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond emails wont load

Is anyone else having trouble with their Bigpond emails timing out before loading, cant believe it is widespread cause been happening for nearly 2 weeks and surely it would be fixed in that time.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted

Re: Bigpond emails wont load

Had the same issue when using Firefox.

Using Chrome seems to have no issue on my end

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

My emails haven't been loading for over a week now,

Tried opening emails multiple devices with different connections, just times out,

Highlighted

Yeh I'm using chrome, tried Safari but it was worse - got some message form Telstra saying they are having issues. Taking a while to sort things though.

Highlighted

I can't access it using Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge. My iPhone & iPad seem to be ok but not loading full message & emails coming through out of date/time order

Highlighted

Been having the same issues for at least 2 weeks now. Will not load and keep timing out. This is my main email account, so extremely irritating. Purchased a new laptop yesterday and made zero difference. Doesn't matter which browser I use (or whether via iPhone), the emails will not load. C'mon Telstra, get this sorted please.

@Greggor1 wrote:

Is anyone else having trouble with their Bigpond emails timing out before loading, cant believe it is widespread cause been happening for nearly 2 weeks and surely it would be fixed in that time.

Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

The page https://outages.telstra.com.au mentions that there have been email timeouts since 10Aug2020.

Contact Telstra.

Highlighted

Loading emails has been slow for over 3 weeks. Now they won't load at all just keeps saying timed out.  Not sure if there is a problem at Telstra or if they are trying to stop us from using the email that we pay for and start using the free emails available on the net. I will see if I can get a result in Chrome. Last resort is ringing the help desk in the Philippines or Indonesia. I thought it was just me. 

Highlighted

Thank you for that. Hope they fix it soon. 

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

I had this same issue, you just see 3 squares/dots flashing on the webmail screen from a Windows computer.

However, go to the same URL https://email.telstra.com/webmail on an iphone and open the page with Safari and bingo it loads.

Back on the PC,  I was suprised to find that if I open Internet Explorer (IE 11) on either Windows 7 or Windows 10 the Webmail loads no problem (although a bit slow depending on the time of day).

Hope this helps.   I suspected Adblock Plus which I have on Firefox and Chrome might have been the culprit, but disabling it made no difference.  Back to IE11 for the foreseeable future.

Highlighted

@Michaelp1 wrote:

I had this same issue, you just see 3 squares/dots flashing on the webmail screen from a Windows computer.

However, go to the same URL https://email.telstra.com/webmail on an iphone and open the page with Safari and bingo it loads.

I just tried that on my iPhone & It failed, stating “This request took longer and timed out” after trying to open the inbox.

it’s still kaput.

Highlighted

Hi, Yes at this time of day 4.30pm it's the same for me now: time out. However, with IE11 you can at least get to some of the pages, other browsers dont get as far.    I'd suspect a server capacity/performance or configuration issue after the 10th August 'upgrade'.

iphone - Safari
Can see the MAIL CONTACTS CALENDAR headings display
Loading list of messages
then
Error This request took longer and timed out.

Windows 10 - Internet Explorer 11.0
Can see the MAIL CONTACTS CALENDAR headings display, opening Inbox results in
Error This request took longer and timed out.
However, the other pages can be accessed, such as Settings, Calendar, Contacts
BUT, MY EMAIL > Inbox, Sent, etc. just show a "Loading.." message, followed by Error This request took longer and timed out.

Highlighted

You cannot "ring" anybody. The phone numbers are just for texting "help".

That is incredibly hopeless and timewasting "we are experiencing delays... covid etc etc".

Get nowhere except the usual "use different browser/clear cookies/reset modem" etc etc etc.

Highlighted

After 20 years or so with Telstra bigpond as my email provider it is time to go our seperate ways.  No email/poorly functioning email is not acceptable for about a week roughly. For a company the size of Telstra to take this long to resolve an issue is really poor and this has made me look at more reliable options. Not to mention not being able to speak to a human being to communicate what is happening, we dont want "crowd support, twitter" or endless other "platforms" we want someone from Telstra to speak to us when we call them and let us know what is happening and how it is being fixed. The one thing Telstra had that kept us was sound technology. Hello Gmail!. The next stage will be the removal of our Telstra business services, equally as poor when it comes to communication, equally difficult to speak to someone who can help you, so the resolution is to find someone who can offer you the same services but with the support you ask for as a customer.  To be fair whenever you managed to finally speak to a human they were always helpful as they could be, but one thing I demand in my business is communication where required, sadly Telstra cannot deliver this despite being in the business of communication.  The days of being ignored are over.

wont be far behind you

Highlighted

It has been a month now that I have been having this issue ! So incredibly frustrating ! Unable to access my bills for payment and other important documents. This really isn't good enough

Highlighted

@grammie wrote:

It has been a month now that I have been having this issue ! So incredibly frustrating ! Unable to access my bills for payment and other important documents. This really isn't good enough

You can also lodge a complaint at https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Highlighted

Seems there are lots of us having this problem. Obviously Telstra would understand how much this impacts small businesses reliant on immediate communication, especially at this time. Wouldn't you think an email sent to all customers giving some information about what is happening would be the least they should consider so as to maintain customer confidence. Seems I can get in sometimes and not at others but rarely with the speed I am used to so must be amount of traffic related. Also what is this rubbish that covid is affecting their ability to take calls - we are on the phone you nufties, how much more socially distanced could we be. I have tested by setting up a gmail account - really easy to redirect emails from Bigpond to there in settings and they come through in a flash. Its just a lot of work to replicate the folder structures I have in place with bigpond. Such a shame as they had the chance to shine and be our saviour at this dramatic time, but instead they are dropping the ball.

Highlighted

@Greggor1 wrote:

Such a shame as they had the chance to shine and be our saviour at this dramatic time, but instead they are dropping the ball.

Well said.

Highlighted

And when I call the help number 13 39 33 they just send you a SMS to review and fault find then hang up on me. That SMS link was what I had already gone through. Serious issue here i reckon....

@Greggor1 wrote:

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Have the same problem and have had so for about 2 weeks or more now, did post in another thread titled Telstra Mail Error - "This request took longer and timed out". I just went to post a newly received text regarding this issue from Telstra in that thread but it won't let me in now, the text reads...

"We're aware you may be having ongoing issues using our Telstra Mail email service via webmail. We're sorry about this and want to let you know we're working around the clock to get this sorted & expect it to be fixed early next week. You may see an improvement if you access your email via an email client such as Outlook, here's some instructions on how to set this up:" https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/how-to

JBS
Highlighted

Hi,  I have my Federal MP on the case, and their office actually replied to me and will follow this up with the Minister for Communications. 

Latest about this issue on the Telstra outages page, says it impacts 2% of  Telstra's email customers.. and only a problem from 12pm-8pm  - untrue. But they are promising issue to be fixed by end of this weekend!! ie check 12.30am 7/9/2020 Monday morning and all should be back to normal.

Known Telstra outages

Email Disruption
5/9/2020
We are aware there are currently problems for some customers using our email service. Telstra operates a number of email servers and one of those servers is currently suffering from technical issues. This problem is acutely affecting around 2 per cent of customers who use a web browser to access email. Customers who use a web browser to access their email may experience webpages failing to load during busy periods, typically between the hours of 12pm-8pm. Additionally, all customers on the affected server cluster may notice that emails are slightly delayed in sending and receiving, again during busy periods. Repair work is continuing around the clock and is expected to largely be complete by the end of this weekend with normal response times returning early next week. Our sincere apologies for the frustration; it’s a complex technical issue we’re working to resolve as soon as we possibly can.

Found this via:

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

You can also message us using the MyTelstra app (personal accounts), our customer service team will then respond to you within the app 9AM-5PM EST M-F. Simply message us with "I would like to make a complaint" to begin the process. How to access messaging

Alternatively, you can call us anytime on 13 22 00 (for Personal accounts) or on 13 20 00 (for Business accounts).

Complaint  Issues with my service
What does your complaint most relate to?  Internet-non-nbn

Based on the feedback you provided, we believe the below may be able to assist you further:

Known Telstra outages

Email Disruption

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Sounds like the way to go Michaelp1  Smiley Happy

More complaints over in this thread...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/telstra-mail/telstra-mail-error-quot-this-request-took-longer...

JBS

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit