Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond mail

I have just got a new computer.

I foolishly didn't back up my outlook folders(I foolishly thought that because Microsoft 365 is cloud based and that as with one note and one drive etc are saved there that outlook would too...)

All my folders are in my bigpond mail

Is there a way to get all my folders from bigpond mail back to outlook

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Bigpond mail

If you are going to use Outlook again (or another email client) when you add the Bigpond account to it,it should download the folders and any emails in them. There might be an option box or other setting to do that.

if you have already downloaded the emails you of course can't retrieve them.

The other option is if you still have the old PC or the hard drive, the PST or OST file (depends on your Outlook) might still be there, so then you can copy that onto a USB and then import that file into the new Outlook.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Thank you Stevo

Sadly when I have added my outlook only the emails in the inbox have come over from bigpond, not the folders for some reason.....It is the folders I really would like to get back into outlook but it seems not. At least I can still see them in bigpond.

The old computer has gone and was wiped before being sent away.

Highlighted

I have just discovered that if I move the contents of a folder directly into my inbox they come through into outlook, then I can create the folder again and move them there... Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Once you have the account in Outlook, you can point to it, right click and select Update Folder List..  if you have set it up as IMAP, you can also click on IMAP Folder  to do other things like subscribing to specific folders..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted

I'm not seeing this option anywhere....can you be a bit more specific as to where I need to point to it?

Highlighted

If you are using Outlook, generally, in the left pane you should have email accounts listed? Point to the email account you want, RIGHT click and you will get a sub-menu with those items in it. 

Which Outlook version are you using?

Stevo 52
Highlighted

This is what I get as a drop down....no update folder list. I am using the latest outlook with Microsoft 365

Highlighted

On my Windows 10 PC, with Outlook 365 I get this as the Right Click menu

All my PC's show the same thing (but all using the same Office 365 Outlook of course....

I use the IMAP access to Bigpond, do you use that or POP3?

Stevo 52
Highlighted

My bigpond is POP3 

Can I do it with the IMAP too do you know? 

Maybe that is the difference.

Highlighted

yes you can choose either POP3 or IMAP when you set up the account..  if you still have all the folders and emails on Webmail, then setting the bigpond account as IMAP when you add it, should give you the option to download those..

The settings I use for Telstra IMAP are:

- I/C Server: imap.telstra.com Port: 993 Security: SSL
- O/G Server: smtp.telstra.com Port: 465 Security: SSL Sign In: Yes

You can probably have both POP3 and IMAP versions of the account at the same but I have never had the need to do that. If you did, you'd be able to move or copy the existing Folders/messages from the POP version to the IMAP version.

Stevo 52
Highlighted

I think I get that....LOL Why do things have to be so complicated... Smiley Wink

Thank you for your patience and help 

Highlighted

No problem, hope it works for you..

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit