Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Dowser
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: bigpond.net.au email problem with Outlook on Mac

Can you access your emails by logging into Telstra WebMail?.

SteveW_52

Do you get any messages, or is there none downloaded?

As @Dowser says, log into Webmail and see if you can see them there, if you can't get in then or there are none, then it is a likely to be a server issue.

However, I occassionally see that message because there is a 'stuck' email preventing the download. It usually turns out to be spam and I delete them from Webmail and it then works as it should...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Brett97
Level 1: Cadet

Dowser,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I can access my email account via the web-mail portal but I still want to get my Outlook client to properly connect and download messages.

Cheers

Brett

Brett97

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response.

No, I cannot get any messages to download to my email client (Outlook).

All I get is the error message described in my original post.

One of my first attempts to fix the problem was to log onto my account via web-mail and delete all the email in case there was a corrupted message stopping the download process. Unfortunately no joy.

Cheers

Brett

Dowser

I found a thread on a separate forum in which the user found the solution:

My resolution was simple, but not obvious.  In Outlook Preferences in the General section, I had checked the box for "Hide On My Computer Folders".  As soon as I unchecked that option, the error went away.

SteveW_52

That is not a Telstra/Bigpond mail server I have seen, the common ones are to do with account credentials, so I am wondering if the problem is actually with Outlook maybe?

I am not using a MAC, but it could be worth running the repair (quick version and the complete one are possible in Windows) on Outlook or Office it that is the full package. 

There are two ways to access Telstra email - imap or pop. Depending on which one you are using now, you should be able to setup the other one at the same time and try that? The settings are given here 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
SteveW_52

That should have been "That is not a Telstra/Bigpond mail server response" I have seen...

Stevo 52
Brett97

Thank's Steve

Just an update.

I've just spent an hour and a half on the line with Telstra Platinum Support. They were unable to fix the problem

I can't be the only person to experience this problem!

I get exactly the same problem on both my MacBook Air and Mac Pro, both a running MS Outlook (365).

Strangely, I can access the mail via pop accounts setup on both my iPhone and iPad.

I might see if I can get any joy from Microsoft.

SteveW_52

Have you updated the iOS on those devices recently?

And di you find out if you were able to run the Office/Outlook 'repair' option?

Did you try both IMAP and POP options for the bigpond address on the devices that aren't working?

Do you have other email accounts, that you have added to (or can add to) Outlook to check if they work?

Have you tried using the native email app? Or tried another email client - GMail maybe?

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit