CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond.net.au emails get undelivrable message saying address doesnot exist

I have a bigpond.net.au address. I am getting letters from companies who I have elected to receive email correspondence only, to save the trees, saying they receive message " email undeliverable - address does not exist". However I do receive the email. What is problems?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Bigpond.net.au emails get undelivrable message saying address doesnot exist

Do you perhaps have an email forward configured on http://email.telstra.com that goes to an invalid address? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Yes I do have an email forward but it is a valid address
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you send an email directly from your BigPond mailbox to that address or get them to email directly to that forwarding address, is it also successful?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

No problem with forwarding address as it is my work email. I can email to work address and no problems
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I just want to clarify the issue. On 04/12/2017 there was an outage affecting Telstra Mail which would have resulted in senders receiving messages that the recipient didn't exist. This was resolved the same day. If the letters that you are receiving are related to that date, then there is no further issue.

However, if anyone sending emails directly to your Telstra Mail account is getting that same error message still, then this does need to be looked into further. When you say that you are receiving the emails despite the error message, are you seeing the emails only in your Telstra mailbox or in both the Telstra mailbox and your work account?

Have you tested sending an email specifically from your Telstra Mail account to your work email and vice versa to see if you can replicate the error? 

- Shelly

Highlighted

Have ad this issue for several years.

Below is message I get on my work email when I send message to my bigpond address.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

username@bigpond.net.au [edited to remove email address] 

The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

The following organization rejected your message: eu-smtp-inbound-1.mimecast.com (195.130.217.241).

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: viclafep22p.bpe.nexus.telstra.com.au

username@bigpond.net.au [edited to remove email address] 
eu-smtp-inbound-1.mimecast.com (195.130.217.241) #<eu-smtp-inbound-1.mimecast.com (195.130.217.241) #5.1.1 smtp; 550 Anti-Spoofing policy - Inbound not allowed -
https://community.mimecast.com/docs/DOC-1369#550> #SMTP#

Original message headers:

Received: from extmail.bigpond.com ([10.10.26.4]) by

viclafep22p-svc.bpe.nexus.telstra.com.au with ESMTP id

<20171219054750.QYTJ6050.viclafep22p-svc.bpe.nexus.telstra.com.au@extmail.bigpond.com>

for <username@bigpond.net.au [edited to remove email address] >; Tue, 19 Dec 2017 16:47:50 +1100

Received: from eu-smtp-delivery-103.mimecast.com (146.101.78.103) by

extmail.bigpond.com (9.0.019.22-1) id 5A1708F71358C82E for

[edited]@bigpond.net.au  ; Tue, 19 Dec 2017 16:47:49 +1100

Received: from mail.th[edited]ller.com (194.105.149.* [194.105.149.*])

(Using TLS) by eu-smtp-1.mimecast.com with ESMTP id

uk-mta-133-NkIPpF7iPlqOZh-bo6twOA-1; Tue, 19 Dec 2017 05:47:35 +0000

Received: from THM1EX03.thm1.ad ([fe80::a4e1:e068:d1d8:e0a2]) by

thm1ex01.thm1.ad ([fe80::6d58:e3e2:2f62:bf98%14]) with mapi id

14.03.0224.002; Tue, 19 Dec 2017 05:47:34 +0000

Received-SPF: pass (extmail.bigpond.com: domain th[edited]ler.com designates

146.101.78.103 as permitted sender) identity=mailfrom;

receiver=extmail.bigpond.com; client-ip=146.101.78.103;

envelope-from=la[edited]es@th[edited]ler.com;

helo=eu-smtp-delivery-103.mimecast.com;

Received-SPF: none (extmail.bigpond.com: domain

eu-smtp-delivery-103.mimecast.com does not designate permitted sender hosts)

identity=helo; receiver=extmail.bigpond.com; client-ip=146.101.78.103;

helo=eu-smtp-delivery-103.mimecast.com;

X-RG-Spam: Unknown

X-RG-VS-CLASS: clean

X-RazorGate-Vade: gggruggvucftvghtrhhoucdtuddrgedtuddrgedugddthecutefuodetggdotefrodftvfcurfhrohhfihhlvgemucfupfevtfgpvffgnffuvfftteenuceurghilhhouhhtmecufedttdenucenucfjughrpefhvffuthffkfhigggtsehmtderredttddvnecuhfhrohhmpefnrghurhgvnhgtvgculfhonhgvshcuoefnrghurhgvnhgtvgdrlfhonhgvshesthhhohhmrghsmhhilhhlvghrrdgtohhmqeenucffohhmrghinheplhhinhhkvgguihhnrdgtohhmpdhtfihithhtvghrrdgtohhmpdhmihhmvggtrghsthdrtghomhdpthhhohhmrghsmhhilhhlvghrrdgtohhmpdhtthgtlhhusgdrtghomhenucfkphepudegiedruddtuddrjeekrddutdefpddutddrvddtuddrkedtrdeg

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=th[edited]ler.com; s=mimecast20170613; t=1513662462; h=from:subject:date:message-id:to:mime-version:content-type; bh=A+jW9SHZR7CdL9JT9zTVKw7MdP9A3ot5NGfGQc7fOsI=; b=E3SSl/04dDUOvv4pb91wODn1ChWK+js2RuzgQPQ4uW6+BV7SlsUCnhlhPvJHlg25WipHpRoseXujQlNz6ze2LLcmINXTzvHShuRRKnddM71jl1+P521ob/2GqYOnj0ImaQI1NWIF18bbR3t3SI4/Ms0LtPkhQyyBIjIvKY6E3us=

To: [edited]@bigpond.net.au

Subject: Details and travel plan

Thread-Topic: Details and travel plan

Thread-Index: AdN4jN1dmeb20KvzQOKgCNwJS7AaWA==

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 05:47:33 +0000

Message-ID: <630BEE9AB2BBBF4BBE81AF1FA5A89A3D01119422F0@thm1ex03.thm1.ad>

Accept-Language: en-GB, en-US

Content-Language: en-US

X-MS-Has-Attach: yes

X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:

x-originating-ip: [10.201.80.43]

MIME-Version: 1.0

X-MC-Unique: NkIPpF7iPlqOZh-bo6twOA-1

Content-Type: multipart/mixed;

boundary="_005_630BEE9AB2BBBF4BBE81AF1FA5A89A3D01119422F0thm1ex03thm1a_"

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for providing that example, I have edited it to remove the email addresses.

Just to confirm I am understanding the issue correctly:

1. Every time someone sends an email to your Telstra mailbox, they get an error saying that user does not exist
2. You are still able to receive the emails in your Telstra mailbox and your work mailbox which it is forwarded to

Are both statements correct?

Highlighted

Highlighted

Yes both statements are correct. I not only get failure message from my work email but also Sydney Water, Computershare and many others
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

This line "The following organization rejected your message: eu-smtp-inbound-1.mimecast.com (195.130.217.241)." is important in what you sent through... It is not Telstra who is causing your problem, it is mimecast... I have seen this before... While mimecast can be brilliant, it also can be pain in the proverbial... Going further through what you sent, there is another interesting/important line "eu-smtp-inbound-1.mimecast.com (195.130.217.241) #<eu-smtp-inbound-1.mimecast.com (195.130.217.241) #5.1.1 smtp; 550 Anti-Spoofing policy - Inbound not allowed - https://community.mimecast.com/docs/DOC-1369#550> #SMTP#" that indicates something is wrong with the original message... The rest of the headers is edited too heavily to analyse it more...

My suspicion is that there is some misconfiguration somewhere and the "from field" appears spoofed to mimecast... If you want to send me full headers privately, I can have a look at them tomorrow (Thursday morning) in more details...

FG

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted

Hi FG, Thanks for your comments. Two comments. First the problem happens not only when I send an email from my work system but many service providers  keep sending me letters saying my email address is wrong as they get undeliverable message when sending me bills and notices. Wouldn't this indicate that it is not a Mimecast problem with the set up by my company? Secondly, the problem happens with every message sent to my bigpond address so I don't think it is a problem with the original message. I do not get this problem with any other email address so I think it is more likely a bigpond problem.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you take away the forwarding rule from the bigpond email address temporarily, do you still get the same errors coming back? 

- AlistairQWA 

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

I've been working with @Lj54 through today and I believe that it is Anti-Spoofing Policy on his/her company mimecast... (S)he is receiving successfully from several of my e-mails, but not from own e-mail. Also if I read the OP correctly, the messages are received on bigpond, but not on forward e-mail... This again points to the anti-spoofing policy (as I mentioned already before), because there is circular reference (TO: and FROM: fields are same, suggesting possible SPOOF attack). It is theory for now, but I believe in it. My recommendation it to talk to company's mail admin to sort that out.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit