CrowdSupport®

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Re: Bigpond outlook app not working

Running Outlook ver 4.30.0 and iOS ver 13.3.1

All of my folders bar one (a fairly large one) have now synced so I'm hoping it's just a matter of time. You're right about the cleanup but Outlook is my electronic filing system so I'm loathe to do any significant cleansing!

Actually, I think I'd need this situation to last a lot longer if I was to get it done - not a good option though!

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Sorry to be a pedant about housekeeping,  but to clarify: an archive is a folder that is available from all of your devices. It's a signal to Outlook that you don't expect to change these files therefore they can e.g. do a different sync algorithm on them and not re-sync if there are no changes since last sync. Think of it as a bottom drawer. I suggest do a test archive (couple of messages only) from a Mac or Windows PC where you have all the tools available and test whether it works for you. After that, your files will sync a lot faster. Currently say 30 secs.

Highlighted

Also re: 13.3.1...   I note that others are talking about IOS 13.4 for iphone. Try an upgrade of IOS if applicable to your device.

Highlighted

iPhone and Outlook now running the latest versions but no luck with syncing the one outstanding folder. But at least I am getting emails on the iPhone.

Is there a way to "force" a sync on the iPhone?

Highlighted

Yes, on my android version if you display the messages in your inbox and then swipe down with your thumb  it seems to sync.

Highlighted

Well nearly 2 weeks down the track and still no luck with syncing that one folder - not critical but annoying. Inbox is not syncing properly in that some mails deleted on desktop still appear in inbox of iPhone - once again not critical but it makes me wonder about the overall robustness/integrity of the Bigpond system. I should add that the new desktop I just installed connected with no drama and is in sync with Webmail.

I guess beggars can't be choosers and I am grateful that I am receiving (I hope) all my emails on the iPhone - but who knows????

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi JimmyCat

Wondered if you are using POP3 on your desktop instead of IMAP? If so, it may be set to keep emails on the server for a time, which would then stay in your iPhone inbox till they are deleted from the server.

Highlighted

Just now confirmed that I can send a new message from my phone and it synced in 30 seconds. Given that all the other files / platforms perform ok now, perhaps look at your one file that doesn't work. I suggest plug the phone into your PC or Mac and locate the file on your phone. Check the file properties e.g. size, to see if that might be the problem.

Highlighted

No - definitely IMAP.

Highlighted

I gather I must be the only person left still having problems with the Outlook app and Bigpond.

After a few weeks of not much being wrong (but not to the point where I have any confidence in the app), it's happening again!

On Saturday I decided to copy all of the emails in my troublesome folder to a new folder which duly synced with Webmail in its entirety. On the iPhone, the new folder appeared however only part synced just like the old folder. Could it be something in one of those emails that is stopping the sync?

This morning, having seen a couple of important emails appear in my Webmail, I decided to have a look at them on my way to work on the iPhone. One of them wasn't there on the iPhone! I waited an hour or so, still no appearance so I reset the account - BIG MISTAKE!

Now when I attempt to access the Bigpond inbox, all I see is the inbox of the last other account I accessed (I have 3 other accounts set up). Given the problems I have had I am loathe to delete and reinstall the account but it looks like that's what I'll have to do.

Is there anyone else still having problems?

Can anyone recommend an alternative mailer to Outlook for iOS?

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Regarding; "On Saturday I decided to copy all of the emails in my troublesome folder to a new folder which duly synced with Webmail in its entirety. On the iPhone, the new folder appeared however only part synced just like the old folder. Could it be something in one of those emails that is stopping the sync" ...

Could that be a number of days to sync setting?

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi, I’m back as yes! It’s happening again to me too. 
In the last couple of days, I’ll see a notification for an email on iPhone but couldn’t  find it anywhere, and it’s actually not from a bigpond account, it’s a Windows live.com account.  It’s appeared today 24-48 hours later. 
Has this been a bigpond and outlook problem or is it more an outlook problem, even though Outlook vehemently denied it. 
Like you said, an alternative mailer anyone? 

Highlighted

I didn't realise that you could set the number of days to sync but, if you could, wouldn't that apply to all folders?

Highlighted

I'm still getting the notifications on the iPhone but as I said, I can no longer access them so just about to take the plunge and delete the account and start again.

I am also having some issues replying/sending email on the desktop. I am being asked to provide my SMTP password - this has happened very intermittently in the past but is now happening all the time - I thought initially it seemed to be when I was just replying to an email but it is actually when sending new emails as well (as I would expect).

The window pops up repeatedly but I have found sometimes that if I have a look at Sent mail it has already gone but the box keeps popping up until I kill it.

Highlighted

Hmmm ... that (all folders) would make sense.

I just did a quick scan of settings under my bigpond account in Outlook for iOS ... I can't find anumber of days to sync setting. Guess I was thinking of another mail app. Sorry!

Highlighted

You must have been think of one that actually works!!   LOL

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I think I have a version of this problem also. I first encountered it back in Feb then it went away and reappeared last Wednesday. I am POP3 on and NBN Satellite connection. I can access Internet and send emails but cannot receive. I have checked all email account settings and they are correct. I have swapped out the router, no change. I can get just enough 4G on my phone here to set it up as a hot spot and everything works through 4G. I turned on Outlook (email client on laptop) logging. On the 4G connection the POP3 exchange is as it should be. On the satellite connection it connects to server and immediately disconnects without even doing authentication. 

Back in Feb, I also had no problem on an NBN FTTC connection. 

I have spoken to the NBN satellite retailer and they said they have become aware of the problem. For some clients its sending emails, some both ways, some just receiving. They don't know what is causing it because they have not changed anything at their end. 

So I am just waiting for it to go away again.

Highlighted

I’ve had no emails on iPhone, IPad or any laptops for my bigpond account since the beginning of March so frustrating I’ve tried adding my account to gmail and still says password or username incorrect. Which I know isn’t true as I can go to Telstra mail and log in and see the emails that way which isn’t convenient. Telstra is so frustrating can’t order the NBN because it isn’t a priority during COVID-19 two kids working from home online lessons and myself working from home online all day we have to hotspot phones just to get internet

Highlighted

Hi Brooklyn7 I can only imagine how hard it is for you with two kids and working from home. Are you on ADSL then? Is it Telstra ADSL? Is you email account a POP or IMAP account? I'm not technical enough to solve this but my NBN satellite retailer is looking at it and the more info (variables) I can give them the better. They have told me that Telstra was blocking some of their IP addresses (including mine) which makes me think that the problem occurs when you use someone other than Telstra for your connection but use Telstra as the ISP and email service provider. 

Of course the IP address explanation doesn't fully explain it because I was able to send email. I should say that the problem for me did suddenly go away a few days ago. When I tried email first thing in the morning it wasn't working and an hour later it was. I had spent an hour on the phone to Telstra the day before without any resolution before I got cutoff. 

Highlighted

Hi there .... here is further data for your Telstra discussion.

Like all in this discussion my problems started at the same time, ie beginning of March. I'm fortuneate, it resolved about 3-4 weeks ago and appears to have continue to work well although I sometimes notice a slow syncing between iPhone, iPad and WIndows 10.

While I have a bigpond.com address, my ISP is Optus (NBN connection). Also, my iPhone is with Optus.

Highlighted

Well I have just been told by my NBN satellite provider that Telstra had blocked my IP address on the incoming/receiving POP server but not the outbound/sending smtp server. They asked me to ask Telstra why but I simply will not shorten my lifespan by another minute talking to Telstra - it is so stressful and such a waste of time - so I suggested they use their channels to find out because they are allocating the IP address to me.

Highlighted

I was told by Telstra that they no longer have a deal with outlook and there is no app that will sync. I found gmail half works, I have to login via website to delete any emails. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit