Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond receiving emails not sending

Answered

Using Outlook, incoming emails receiving, outgoing not.  Tried SMTP.bigpond.com port 465 and 587.  Any suggestions.  Tried 465:1 but my version would not accept the : character.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Bigpond receiving emails not sending

Have you tried using 465? Also select SSL as security mode and Outgoing Server requires authentication.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Have you turned on SMTP Authentication in outlook? Suggest you also turn modem off for few minutes and then back on so that you get a new IP address.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/broadband-nbn/why-is-my-email-being-blacklisted/ta-p/76234

If you enter your IP address 121.222.70.183 at  https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

The result is

121.222.70.183 is listed in the PBL, in the following records:

https://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL1526796

"Important: If you are using any normal email software (such as Outlook, Entourage, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc.) and you are being blocked by this Spamhaus PBL listing when you try to send email, the reason is simply that you need to turn on "SMTP Authentication" in your email program settings. For help with SMTP Authentication or ways to quickly fix this problem"

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Have you tried using 465? Also select SSL as security mode and Outgoing Server requires authentication.

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Incoming and outgoing bigpond email server is... mail.bigpond.com

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
Highlighted

Yes I tried that. but no luck.  Thank you

Highlighted

Hi, so for the outgoing mail server is it:   smtp.mail.bigpond.com    OR   just:  mail.bigpond.com

I have tried both and neither work in just the outgoing mail server.

Do I need to change the incoming server as well?

Any other suggestions?

Highlighted

Have you tried smtp.telstra.com as outgoing server? What you use for incoming server has no effect on the outgoing server.

Highlighted

Ok update  this is the error I am receiving:

Send test email message: Your outgoing (SMTP) email server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: 554 5.7.1 Connection refused - OB115. 121.222.70.183 is

I have tried:  smtp.Mail.bigpond.com;   I have tried: smtp.telstra.com

Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Have you turned on SMTP Authentication in outlook? Suggest you also turn modem off for few minutes and then back on so that you get a new IP address.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/broadband-nbn/why-is-my-email-being-blacklisted/ta-p/76234

If you enter your IP address 121.222.70.183 at  https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

The result is

121.222.70.183 is listed in the PBL, in the following records:

https://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL1526796

"Important: If you are using any normal email software (such as Outlook, Entourage, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc.) and you are being blocked by this Spamhaus PBL listing when you try to send email, the reason is simply that you need to turn on "SMTP Authentication" in your email program settings. For help with SMTP Authentication or ways to quickly fix this problem"

Highlighted

Deleted

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
Highlighted

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi 

Do you think this problem can in any way affect Telstra Web-mail as well?

For the last week and a half I have had this same problem, combined with add on problems for the last week, on my web mail addresses directly, I do not use any mail program.

It started off with my 2 main email addresses,1st one I started my emailing life off with, that Telstra supplied staff with 20-25 years ago, so it was my main address, that I generated several daughter accounts from.

2nd one was given to me when (I think) I had ADSL installed, which also has daughter addresses.

As above there is no issue with incoming emails, however just making the shift from one email to the next took minutes, and as time progressed it became hard and then impossible to add attachments or even copy and paste into an email.

And as I said, only on my 2 main addresses, the one daughter address I started using as a work around the issue did work perfectly, then on Thursday 6/8 it too started with the same problems, and then to make matters worse, the emails I sent, which I had to type and then send, because drafts would not save,(on checking in my sent folder) became distorted with large gaps in between words and sentences.

I have tried all suggested solutions including yours, to no avail.

Maybe I should add that Gmail(that I don't really like) still works without any of the above issues, my reasoning from that is, that it's not my PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Highlighted

cf4 - you are a bloody legend!  thank you so much.

Switching the wifi on and off fixed the issue.

I switched everything else on and off multiple times but forgot the wifi connection!

Thank you again !!!

Highlighted

@wrigle5 

Have you tried using another browser? 

Highlighted

Hi cf24

Yes, I have tried these Chrome, MS edge, the ol' IExplorer, Opera, Firefox and AVG Secure Browser.

I started with the solution above, tried disconnect and reconnect of both HF-cable NBN modem and Telstra NBN modem, even a reset of Telstra modem and tried various devices at different stages.

And I called a mate to log in as me and he had the same problem with my web-mail 35 klms away but still on the north side of Brisbane.

It does seem a bit better this evening, but I was delayed from coming back to you while trying to get an attachment on an email and sent several times.

My thoughts are that it is related to the problems experienced early in the week with Telstra internet in general, but I have no definite proof.

Highlighted

Hi Again cf24

Maybe I should add that at its worst, I was unable to access any parts of my detailed calls within my accounts although I could sign in without any delays.

Once signed in, if I clicked on "View Details" It immediately came up with an error code that I did not note(my mistake), but it said unable to access server due to a protocol error(?).

Today there is no current issue with my account.

I will be AFK from now till sunday afternoon, I'll try to read any thoughts you may have then.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit