AttenmptNo3
Level 3: Gumshoe

Bigpond SMTP outgoing changes?

When the NBN was established at our site the Telstra NBN support advised we use Bigpond mail server for scan to email on port 25, unauthenticated, no TLS.  This has been in place for almost 6 years.

A few days ago all of our devices stopped being able to send scanned content via the bigpond mail servers.  Has something changed?

What would be the currentsettings to use

SSL

Port

TLS

etc.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Bigpond SMTP outgoing changes?

You can find those at https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Note:

• IMAP is the recommended setting for Telstra Mail customers.
AttenmptNo3
Level 3: Gumshoe

These services dont use IMAP, its just SMTP

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

The 'services' don't but the ACCOUNT you setup does...

There are two choices - POP or IMAP..  the two flavours use different ports for the associated servers.. 

There is information in that link provided, that will help you..  a lot depends on whether you use an email client to access your email, which it sounds like you do (but you don't mention which one)..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dowser

@AttenmptNo3 wrote:

These services don't use IMAP, it’s just SMTP

Okay. I usually put in the tidbit about Telstra recommending IMAP (for incoming Mail) as a general tip.

In future I might omit it & let the reader pick it up themselves.

I hope that the settings assisted you.

SteveW_52

You are right to add the IMAP comment, Telstra DO recommend IMAP.

And there is plenty of information available to detail the pros and cons of which type of service the user could  choose...  they just have to read it.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

It's not that the Telstra/Bigpond Mail service is incapable of using IMAP, it's the scan to email function on the printer. They only have an outgoing connection, which is SMTP (regardless of POP3 or IMAP).

@AttenmptNo3 just use the outgoing server settings.

• Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com
  • Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587
  • Authentication: Yes
  • Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587
  • Make sure ‘Outgoing server requires authentication’ is ticked (if that is an option on the scanner)
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

With all the strange things with Telstra email services over the last couple of years...  some users have found it better to use the bigpond version of the server address..  so smtp.bigpond.com  might also be worth trying..  it works for me on my bigpond account but the telstra flavour doesn't...

and smtp.xxxx.com works for both IMAP and POP for outgoing mail but sometimes different ports are needed..  I have a mobile device from another provider that only works with port 25 for outgoing, but other devices with that same provider do work with the correct ports..   the important thing is nothing in the settings has changed recently, but there have been instance of Telstra email issues noted here - prompting a specific message try to collect all those reports (but I haven't been following that).. 

my usual advice to people is to change away from a telstra/bigpond email account to something like gmail or outlook, that is better supported and managed..  there are many reasons for this..

Stevo 52
Jupiter

My usual advice for anyone running a business is to get their own dedicated business grade email hosting and not use Telstra Mail (which has never been business grade), or any carrier provided email service (that also includes GMail and the free version of Outlook - formerly Hotmail). It's an unprofessional look (and a lot of companies mark emails from GMail and Outlook as spam by default), and there are no service level guarantees.

Given that you can get basic business grade email hosting for under $200 per year, it always astounds me when people say they are using the basic consumer grade Telstra Mail for business purposes.

In reality, as far as ports go, 587 is the one that should be used (it has requires encryption and supports TLS encryption). Port 465 (supported SSL)was removed from the standard and reassigned for other uses a few years ago and a lot of providers (including Telstra) haven't updated their standards. Port 25 is too prone to spammers and shouldn't be used for outgoing mail (it is still the primary port for relays though) and is regularly blocked by providers or heavily restricted to a range of allowed IP addresses (which may explain why it has stopped working for the OP).

For personal use, GMail and Outlook are great. I still went out and got my own hosted service with my own domain. Keeps me away from having to change email addresses when I change providers.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

Can you explain this a bit more please..

"advised we use Bigpond mail server for scan to email on port 25, unauthenticated, no TLS"  and

"A few days ago all of our devices stopped being able to send scanned content"

Do you have one or several printers? or are other devices exhibiting the same symptoms?

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit