Deanne4
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond stopped syncing with Outlook

Answered

Since Telstra started having problems with its server a month ago, my bigpond email has stopped syncing with outlook. IMAP settings are correct. Everything is as it should be. 

Anyone know why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Deanne4
Accepted Solution

Re: Bigpond stopped syncing with Outlook

It’s fixed now. Spoke again yesterday and it’s been to do with their server first locking me out, the reset from that and then for some reason messing up my password again. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Is it coming up with a Send/Receive error? You may need to increase the timeout value in Outlook so that it has a better chance of connecting with the server (the default value is 1 minute). I would suggest increasing it to 5 minutes and see if that helps.

Go to

• File
  • Account Settings
  • Manage Profiles
  • Email Accounts
  • Change
  • More Settings
  • Advanced
  • Server Timeouts - increase to 5 minutes
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JohnCanberra
Level 1: Cadet

I have had the same problem for probably over a year now. It started when my account was locked (for no apparent reason). Prior to being locked my account worked fine. On unlocking, web-mail worked OK but Outlook didn't and hasn't ever since. I tried getting it sorted via Telstra but I was put through to some sort of service that was going to charge me for "fixing my computer" - and given my computer hadn't changed I wasn't willing to accept that.

I opened a Gmail account and have put a forwarding setting in my Telstra email account (via web-mail. Now I am progressively telling all my contacts about my Gmail account and won't be using the Bigpond account for anything other than stuff for which Telstra requires I have it.

Gmail gets a bit fussy about Outlook, but you just tone-down teh security setting on Gmail to get it to accept Outlook. The Gmail account is also simpler to use on my phone, and having my account set to IMAP means that the two platforms are kept in sync with each-other with no effort from me.

Apart from fixing the problem, I can now take my Gmail account with me regardless of which ISP I use. Gone are the days of sticking with the ISP email address.

Deanne4
Accepted Solution

It’s fixed now. Spoke again yesterday and it’s been to do with their server first locking me out, the reset from that and then for some reason messing up my password again. 

View solution in original post

Deanne4

John, that’s exactly what happened to

me. 

Spoke to them again yesterday and got them to reset my password. It’s now fixed. 

I like your idea with gmail. 

Alfie3

Hi John. How do I forward my telstra emails to a gmail account. I was trying to find out a few days ago what was possible as I have all but given up trying to get help from telstra. I even tried to get thru to accounts and got nowhere. Next step was not to pay my bill and hopefully hen they would contact me. Any help would be appreciated.

@JohnCanberra wrote:

I have had the same problem for probably over a year now. It started when my account was locked (for no apparent reason). Prior to being locked my account worked fine. On unlocking, web-mail worked OK but Outlook didn't and hasn't ever since. I tried getting it sorted via Telstra but I was put through to some sort of service that was going to charge me for "fixing my computer" - and given my computer hadn't changed I wasn't willing to accept that.

I opened a Gmail account and have put a forwarding setting in my Telstra email account (via web-mail. Now I am progressively telling all my contacts about my Gmail account and won't be using the Bigpond account for anything other than stuff for which Telstra requires I have it.

Gmail gets a bit fussy about Outlook, but you just tone-down teh security setting on Gmail to get it to accept Outlook. The Gmail account is also simpler to use on my phone, and having my account set to IMAP means that the two platforms are kept in sync with each-other with no effort from me.

Apart from fixing the problem, I can now take my Gmail account with me regardless of which ISP I use. Gone are the days of sticking with the ISP email address.

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

An option instead of forwarding Telstra email, is to use an email client on your device to connect to the Telstra email account and retrieve emails..

I use GMail to do that on my mobile devices - just add the Telstra/Bigpond email account to it as an IMAP account..

On PC's and laptops I generally use Outlook, but also other email clients like Thunderbird (which won't be supported for much longer apparently) or MailSpring..  again, add the account as IMAP.

Why IMAP? It has better syncing across devices so if you delete/move an email in one place, it is deleted on all devices including the server.. email folders are synced as well.

Using a client gives you more control over your email, so you can copy it, back it up and restore it as YOU require - you are no longer dependent on the server (except to get the email in the first place and if that isn't working there is nothing you can do about it).

There are signs and comments that Telstra might be discontinuing their email service in the future, so it isn't a bad idea to consider alternative email providers now, while you can do it at your leisure..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Alfie3

@SteveW_52 wrote:

An option instead of forwarding Telstra email, is to use an email client on your device to connect to the Telstra email account and retrieve emails..

I use GMail to do that on my mobile devices - just add the Telstra/Bigpond email account to it as an IMAP account..

On PC's and laptops I generally use Outlook, but also other email clients like Thunderbird (which won't be supported for much longer apparently) or MailSpring..  again, add the account as IMAP.

Why IMAP? It has better syncing across devices so if you delete/move an email in one place, it is deleted on all devices including the server.. email folders are synced as well.

Using a client gives you more control over your email, so you can copy it, back it up and restore it as YOU require - you are no longer dependent on the server (except to get the email in the first place and if that isn't working there is nothing you can do about it).

There are signs and comments that Telstra might be discontinuing their email service in the future, so it isn't a bad idea to consider alternative email providers now, while you can do it at your leisure..  Smiley Happy

Hi, what are the better ones to use. I have been considering this for awhile. really the benefits of the telstra service have dwindled over the years so you are probably right. I want a reliable service that allows me to store emails on the server without a 10Gbt limit. don't mind paying for it.

SteveW_52

Are you an Apple fan or Windows/Android based?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Alfie3

@SteveW_52 wrote:

Are you an Apple fan or Windows/Android based?

Hi, my main work is on computers running Windows 10 but I also use android on my Telstra Tuff phone and IPAD

SteveW_52

On android, try the GMail app and put you Telstra /Bigpond account into that (add account)..  I would recommend IMAp and to add the account manually..  

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

For Windows an email client like Outlook or Mailspring might suit but there are others, you need one that suits you. Again, I would recommend using IMAP..  You could try Thunderbird but Mozilla will stop supporting that in the near future. I am not a fan of the Windows 10 Mail app but you might find it to be all you need?

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit