Palimpsest
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond Webmail contacts suddenly gone

All of my Telstra Bigpond Webmail contacts have disappeared suddenly. They worked one day and the next they were gone. I can't even recreate the list because I get an error message. I tried accessing Webmail using other browsers...the mail and messages are there but all contacts have disappeared. I can get email and I can send email but I have no contact lists any more.  I use Google Chrome to access mail (Telstra says that's what they prefer)...Not sure if Webmail is having problems and we aren't being told....I'm very very very unhappy.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Bigpond Webmail contacts suddenly gone

An email client won't retrieve the Telstra/Bipgond account contacts list unfortunately.

A contact list that you build in a good email client is a much better option, safer, easier to manage and you can back it up (in most clients).

Hopefully the webmail list will be restored and you can then save or rebuild it onto your own email client. The Telstra/Bigpond emails services are somewhat flaky and can have issues at any time, very rarely will Telstra let you know. As Telstra no longer issue email addresses to new or existing customers,and with some of the serious server issues in recent times, it is highly possible that the email services are being wound down and may be discontinued.  You should start to investigate an alternative, more portable, email account - GMail, Outlook etc.  before you have to do so, I reckon.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Palimpsest

Thanks SteveW...I already have a gmail account and my contacts do appear there but the email address I still wanted to use was with Bigpond....but it looks like I can write email from BP (providing I insert the email address manually) or I send from gmail? Crapination! Thx for the info....

SteveW_52

If you use a good email client, you can add the Telstra/Bigpond address to that and use it to receive and send email - you are just using the Telstra/Bigpond servers. If your contacts list is in the email client, then you can access that for emails you send on the Telstra/Bigpond account... 

I have 14 email accounts in my Outlook 365 email client on my PC with a common contacts list (and the same accounts and contacts in GMail on mobile devices)..  sounds complicated but with a few rules setup, it is pretty easy really.. 

The only time I visit Bigpond accounts on Webmail is when there is an issue..  I don't leave anything on those accounts, to avoid any risk of loss.  Once the email is in my Outlook client I can save, manage and backup those individual accounts as I wish..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Palimpsest

THX...I'll regroup! 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit