can't access webmail after update by firefox to 81.01 version

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: can't access webmail after update by firefox to 81.01 version

I have seen a couple of reports about this..  it must be something in the Firefox code that Telstra doesn't like.

Telstra Webmail should work OK on Chrome or possibly Edge..  but that isn't everyones preference. Some Telstra pages are very sensitive to the browser being used - can't comment on why that is, but I prefer Brave (Chromium based as is Edge) but some Telstra linked pages just don't work on it, but do in Chrome.

My recommendation though would be to NOT rely on the Webmail interface..  set up an email client and add the Testra email account, in IMAP mode - that way you control the mails, can save, backup and organise them in a way that suits you, set up mail rules and spam management right there on the client. A much safer option for you (as many found out during the recent Telstra email issues). But it's your choice..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Yep similar problem. Can't access with Firefox but OK with Google Chrome although still very slow. Solution to overall Web mail has been so drawn out, on the rare occasion I was able to access via Telstra, I took the opportunity to forward all mail my gmail address.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Try updating Firefox (current version is 82.0.1) and see if that fixes the problem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Web mail works ok with firefox version 82.0.1. Try updating to 82.0.1

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I've just experienced similar issues with Fox 82 and my Macbooks standard Mail program. My tech guru son in law had a look at this and discovered that Firefox was authorising a SOCKS V5 proxy. To investigate this click on Firefox, Preferences and a new screen will open. Select the General tab if it's not automatically selected then scroll to the bottom of that page to view Network Settings. Click on the grey Settings box to open a pop up box called Connection Settings. Have a look at this and you should see that SOCKS is ticked. The best fix is to select the option for No proxy. Once you do this and save/ok at the bottom right of the pop up your Telstra mail should now be working.

Also with a Macbook - click the Apple logo, open System Preferences and select Network. Click on Advanced in bottom right corner to open a pop up. Go across the menu bar and click on Proxies. If any are "ticked" (possibly SOCKS) untick it and save the setting.

Highlighted

There is still a problem for me. Firefox 83 has just loaded and still webmail hangs with the 3 dots flashing after entering login details.

I hadn't worried about it up until now, thinking that the next Firefox update (83, which has just landed) would solve the issues. Edge has been working fine for me.

I've made the Firefox "No Proxy" change and that has not solved the issue.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Further to my first comment I experienced further issues with the proxy causing problems. On thinking through this further I had 2 app updates installed around the time the problem arose. Deciding that I no longer used or wanted these apps I deleted them.

Following some discussion and research on SOCKS I ran a program called Malwarebytes. This resulted in it locating various malware files including a file extension called "mitmproxy". I quarantined the various files found in this scan and haven't had the issue since. I've been using both a free (Mac) and paid version (Laptop) of Malwarebytes for a couple of years and can confirm it doesn't hi-jack anything.

I'd suggest you download Malwarebytes (free version will work) and run a system scan. Whatever it finds in your file system you can get further info on it with the program. It will be safe to "quarantine" those files but particularly the "mitmproxy" extension and I suspect this will fix the issue.

Highlighted

Having reported this as a fault I had a follow-up call from Telstra service agent. This resulted in me being transferred to a Telstra Platinum agent. After having spent some time working through various settings, including Proxy options, the problem still persisted. As a last resort Firefox was uninstalled and then reinstalled. Webmail then responded correctly.

However, the following day when the computer was once again powered-up, Webmail reverted to the problem response of three flashing dots. Firefox has subsequently had additional updates but the problem persists.

Highlighted

I haven't tried the "new to me" Malwarebytes yet.

It's all very confusing, as I haven't loaded any new Apps for 6 months. For me, Telstra Webmail worked on Firefox up until 2 weeks ago. Now a point here, Webmail never ever worked in a Firefox Private Window (the 3 flashing dots were the failure symptom). If you then opened a normal browser window, Firefox would work.

To now, my preferred choice of anti virus has been IObit which claims it offers malware protection.

I always assumed it was a Firefox issue, but in the last couple of weeks we have gone from 81 to 82, and now 83 with Webmail not working in either type of Firefox window. I've been using Edge in a normal window and have never tried a Edge Private Window.

I'm still in doubt whether this is a Firefox, Webmail Server, or Malware issue.

Is it only Telstra webmail that is suffering with this Firefox issue ?? In a google search, I'm not finding any other reports of competitor webmail issues.

I will hold off on the anti virus alternative in the hope of a "Golden Guru agent" will pop up in this thread with a fix

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit