DaveSouthPerth
Level 2: Rookie

Can't configure Outlook for a bigpond email address

Hi there,

I have a client with 4 computers.

There bigpond email address (name@bigpond.com) was configured not using secure settings, and works fine

I replace 2 computers and have Outlook 365 installed, but I cannot get the address configured on these two new machines.

I can login with webmail so I know the credentials are correct.
(using full email address and the password for webmail and in outlook)

I am using the following from the telstra docs:

imap.telstra.com

smtp.telstra.com

With Ports 995 and 465

But it fails all the time.

Anyone have any idea what the trick is ?

TIA, Dave

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
DaveSouthPerth

Re: Can't configure Outlook for a bigpond email address

Note - I have tried other incoming and outgoing mail settings.
Someone in another discussion here suggested imap.bigpond.com and smtp.bigpond.com, but that fails too!
Just hope I don't have to ring 🙂

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

I am not sure what is causing the issue, I have several devices, mobiles and windows PC's, that have email clients (GMail and Outlook) to access bigpond accounts..  but a new Pixel, won't connect through Outlook, but will on GMail..  All the details are correct, just won't work on Outlook..

You could try adding the account to Windows Mail (yes, I know its a crap app) and see if that works? or another email client?

Not sure why Outlook won't work, I have contacted Microsoft but no answers yet.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
DaveSouthPerth

Thanks Stevo - the client is using webmail, so they are not crippled, but just really frustrating!

Cheers, Dave

SteveW_52

It sure is, I have setup my bigpond accounts several times on various devices, using Outlook as the client and never had a problem, but this tim, it just won't work..  but the same credentials and settings work in GMail..  weird!!

Stevo 52
DaveSouthPerth

Yep  - I'm used to having to obtain one-off passwords for Apple and Gmaill address's (which is a trap when you forget!) but that is not a thing with a bigpond address!

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

At what point does it “fail” and what is the message?.

SteveW_52

In my case, it fails in the Outlook account setup stage - automaic or manual. Curious because I configured two Pixel 5's side by side - one worked fine and the account was added, the other didn't...  but it worked in GMail...

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Update..  on the problem Pixel 5, I reset to factory defaults and started the setup again, added outlook and then added all the bigpond accounts successfully. Must have been something wrong in the initial setup but no idea what..

Stevo 52
DaveSouthPerth

Thanks for chipping in.

When I add the account in Outlook (IMAP), clicking next tests the setting, and it just keeps coming back asking for the password.  The same email / password combo works fine for webmail, so I know it is correct.

And I am entering all the correct settings that I mentioned at the start, from the Telstra page listing the details.

Dave

DaveSouthPerth

One thing that has crossed my mind, and it might be a long shot.

This account is currently working on two old machines, that have settings nothing like the current correct ones.

And the current password is very simple 4 letters with the first one upper, followed by 4 numbers.

It would not pass the test as an acceptable password these days.

Could it be possible that is the reason it is failing in Outlook 

(Also I tried Thunderbird as was suggested in another discussion here, but that failed the same too!)

I'm reluctant to reset the password as it may stop the other two computers working!

Dave

SteveW_52

I had also thought about that..  I have 2 new PC's to setup tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see how I go with Outlook on those and adding the bigpond accounts..  at that stage, I might try deleting the accounts of the old PC's and will consider password changes as well..  I have other devices already set-up as backups for the PC's being changed out, so it should go OK.. but you never know..

Stevo 52
Dowser

Your password level hypothesis sounds quite plausible.

Telstra do seem to emphasise security nowadays. (I have to use two factor authentication on my iPhone just to log into this forum - this commenced recently).

I understand your hesitancy, but I would suggest changing one of the passwords to a secure one and seeing if that helps.

SteveW_52

Upate:  Setup two new Windows 10 Pro (Ver. 21H1 - OS Build. 19043.1110) laptops this morning. Focussed on getting Windows updated. Office 365 Installed and updated, the setting up Bigpond accounts in Outlook. Same 4 Bigpond emails on both device- all of which also appear on other devices.

I could not setup one account on one device, but it did on the other. I retried set-up and the second time it worked fine. I didn't have to resort to changing passwords to do the install. But the passwords were quite simple and a bit old so I have changed them and reconfigured all devices for the changes - all went smoothly.

So I can offer no furthe explanation unfortunately - other than the first faile attempt at setup this morning may have been because I was doing two such setups at the same time, but all the other accounts were the same and they all worked. Mission for the rest of my day is to migrate those accounts to gmail or outlook.com and then swap the devices over to those for automatic reporting of system and attached device reporting.

But all that might have to wait until this evening because it is a glorious day outside, way to good not to enjoy a drive with the top down...  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Yes, I too have to use TFA to log in, which can be a bit annoying when I have to reboot or my login times out (but that can be fixed by checking the 'Keep me signed in box' which works on a daily basis until I reboot).

I put that down partly to my choice to use Brave Browser which impacts other apps as well. Although it is chrome based and up to date, Stan and Foxtel Go don't like that browser and give blank screens and no information when logging in, but a refresh usually fixes that at each step..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

The other annoyance about the TFA to get into CrowdSupport, is the resulting email from Telstra that there has been unusual activity on my account - when the forced TFA on me... seriously???

Wouldn't it be better to use an existing, effective Authentication server like Google or Microsoft?

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit