Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

cannot connect to server

Answered

I am a new user of Bigpond. I have a ADSL connection and have set up the email using Windows live. I am using outlook express and set up the connection as directed by the Bigpond help site.

The connection with Bigpond works well. However it is important for me to continue to use my old email address "name @three.com.au." This works well as long as I connect via the mobile dongle, but when I connect via the Bigpond ADSL I have a problem. The incoming mail to three is read quite well through the Bigpond server, but the outgoing mail does not go instead I get an error message:- "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.three.com.au', Server: 'smtp.three.com.au', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E" I have tried changing port numbers and ticking SSL boxes, but nothing works.

I have tried connecting to other email servers such as tpg, gmail and don't have a problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: cannot connect to server

success at last !

I rang the three tech support and they suggested putting the server as "mail.bigpond.com"

This works ! you need to leave the ports at 25 and 110.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Hi Rosco131,

Welcome to Crowd Support!

You have the wrong incoming and outgoing mail servers according to the settings. You will need to change your mail servers to as follows:

INCOMING SERVER SETTINGS

POP Server: pop3.live.com
Security: This server requires a secure connection (SSL)
Port: Default SSL Port 995

OUTGOING SERVER SETTINGS

SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
Security: This server requires a secure connection (TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the mail client you’re using)
If you are currently using Outlook, Mac Mail, iPhones, Windows Phones, Android’s please use TLS.
Port: Default TLS Port 587

IMPORTANT – ALSO BE SURE TO:

Tick the box indicating outgoing server requires authentication (in most email clients, this is not selec ted by default).
Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection, and SMTP authentication for security.

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary

Lathania

Thanks for the reply. However this is one of the loops that I have been through. When I put these settings in, a login box pops up asking for for the login and password for the smtp.live.com and the pop3.live.com server. I put these in for both the incoming and outgoing and when I send a test message it sends it from the bigpond server ( so the message arrives from name@bigpond and not from name@three ). Also it does not check for any messages from the three server.

The incoming settings i.e. mail.three.com.au - port 110 (no SSL) work just fine. It is only the outgoing that does not work.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

success at last !

I rang the three tech support and they suggested putting the server as "mail.bigpond.com"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

@rosco131 wrote:

success at last !

That may not work when you use your Three USB stick, just so you know.

Cheers

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Thanks Ben,

yes if I do have to do that, I will run two profiles in the mail accounts.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit