Elise11
Level 1: Cadet

Cannot log in to bigpond email anymore

Answered

After having this email address for many years it suddenly popped up on my iPhone that the username or password for my bigpond email was incorrect. (I had not changed anything, it just stopped receiving mail due to this error).

I've tried everything to fix this - reset my password a million times, tried different email apps, phone and computer, Telstra mail - nothing will get me access to this email address anymore! 

I can log in to my Telstra account & the connection to this email address says its fine, no outages, but the password just doesn't work "unable to verify account name or password".... I've been at this for about 2 weeks now. Super annoying. Any suggestions please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot log in to bigpond email anymore

If you can't log in via email.telstra.com then you will need to contact a consultant to find out what is going on.

Call 132200 and say "Telstra Mail" or send a message by either:

• the My Telstra app on your mobile
  • logging into your account via the telstra.com.au website

and then go to the Get Help tab and click on the blue icon at the bottom of the screen (labelled Message Us on the website, icon only on app). If the bot doesn't understand the query, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. It can take a few hours to get an initial response. If you use the app, you will get a notification on your mobile when someone responds.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

If you can't log in via email.telstra.com then you will need to contact a consultant to find out what is going on.

Call 132200 and say "Telstra Mail" or send a message by either:

• the My Telstra app on your mobile
  • logging into your account via the telstra.com.au website

and then go to the Get Help tab and click on the blue icon at the bottom of the screen (labelled Message Us on the website, icon only on app). If the bot doesn't understand the query, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. It can take a few hours to get an initial response. If you use the app, you will get a notification on your mobile when someone responds.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Peterh27
Level 1: Cadet

The exact same thing happened to my wife email, using Microsoft (MS) Outlook desktop client. Suddenly, without any warning or reason, we were presented with a login box suggesting the email address and/or password was incorrect (and is absolutely not!). My wife's email simply stopped working!!! Telstra Webmail (email.telstra.com or TW) works fine. I spoke to a Telstra tech support and they could not work it out at all.

When Telstra stepped away from their email partnership with Microsoft (outlook.com), who hosted all @telstra and @bigpond email addresses, using Microsoft's excellent Exchange server a few years ago, this is when all the problems began. They said that it was MSs fault but that was rubbish...

For some unanswered and obscure reason, Telstra decided to build an inhouse solution that is now called Telstra Webmail and it is quite frankly a terrible, terrible web solution, with not contact, calendaring etc. etc. It was a waste of money for Telstra and does nothing for their reputation as a modern telco.

At the time, I asked if they were planning on using or porting their mail servers to an Outlook Web App solution (OWA). The answer back then was yes we are working on it and so many people in Telstra had opinions that they held up as facts but nothing changed. Now, so many years later, nothing has changed at all, so they were either lying (at worst) or had no intention to do that at best. I even went to the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsmen (TIO) office and lodged a formal complaint but Telstra did nothing to respond!

Either way, TW is not anywhere good enough, as a professional or consumer service. You may be interested to know that Optus uses OWA, so if you use MS Outlook (part of Microsoft 365, as a desktop client or the Outlook app, whatever you do with email, contacts, calendar or todo lists, it works seamlessly across all devices and platforms (Windows, iOS & MacOS and Android) is frankly a best of breed experience. The webmail look just like the desktop client and that is intentional on the part of MS.

The final solution was to set up a @Hotmail email address and then place a permanent forward from TW, to it.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be anything to do to get emails from TW - so I am going to try and export using IMAP either though my wife cannot login to it.

Telstra really is "the devil you know" but this whole thing is appalling in 2021, where the best companies listen to their end users or clients and always act appropriately as needed. PLEASE give us answer about what is to be done...

Jupiter

Telstra Mail appears to be in rundown mode as Telstra stopped creating new email accounts in September 2020, so I wouldn't hold my breathe on anything improving.

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@Peterh27 wrote:

The exact same thing happened to my wife email, using Microsoft (MS) Outlook desktop client. Suddenly, without any warning or reason, we were presented with a login box suggesting the email address and/or password was incorrect (and is absolutely not!). My wife's email simply stopped working! Telstra Webmail (email.telstra.com or TW) works fine.

You could download Mozilla Thunderbird and check if that works, which would tell you if Microsoft Outlook is the problem.

You can find the recommended Telstra Mail settings on the Telstra webpage

InterestedUser
Level 2: Rookie

I have been trying this and ringing up Telstra over the past week !. I wish someone knew what the issue is. The techs i get try to reset but can't do it. They come back afetr twenty minutes and tell me they have put a job in the system. After which nothing seems to happen. So frustrated. Maybe a new provider is the only way forward for me 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit