Level 4: Private Eye

Cannot open items from my e-mail

Answered

G'day,

I have been asking question to Crowd Support.

I received mail.  When I click on anything nothing happens.  I have never had this problem before. I do not know why this is happening.  I would appreciate any help please.  Also my internet is very slow I have already summited a request for help concerning this.  I am having all sorts of problems now for some reason.

Cheers Perry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot open items from my e-mail

What problems are you having?

On just one device or all of them?

What sort of internet service do you have?

What Telstra equipment do you have?

What indicators are showing on the modem (and the NBN NTD if you have one)?

The more information you provide, the easier it is to get assistance.

Probably a good idea to have a separate message for the issues i.e. one for you email question and one for the slow internet issues..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16

Where are you checking for your email? On webmail or via an email client - Outlook, GMail etc?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Accepted Solution

What problems are you having?

On just one device or all of them?

What sort of internet service do you have?

What Telstra equipment do you have?

What indicators are showing on the modem (and the NBN NTD if you have one)?

The more information you provide, the easier it is to get assistance.

Probably a good idea to have a separate message for the issues i.e. one for you email question and one for the slow internet issues..

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

Level 25: The Singularity

He already has separate messages for the slow internet issue.

@Perrychef I have asked the moderators to remove your screenshot as it has your email address (and a couple of other people) visible. The issues with the emails is probably linked to your other computer issues. Outlook doesn't work very well if your computer isn't functioning properly. See your other current post for the response to that ( My Internet is slow. - Telstra CrowdSupport - 916338 )

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

G'day SteveW 52

I am using Windows 10 Mail.

Cheers Perry

Hi again SteveW 52

I do have two questions going.  When I posted the question aboit not being able to click on the received e-mail I thought it might help to mention that the internet was slow.

I am using Board Band with a Telstra Modem.   Three lights on the top of the modem are on.  The Signal light changes from orange to green the Link goes from white to green, The Online light is green & the Phone light is off.  On the side the Wi Fi light is Green The Pair light is off. The Power light is green.

All my equipment is Telstra,  I do not have a Mobile phone only a normal line phone.

I hope that helps.

Cheers Perry

@Jupiter Yes, the OP did have another post about the internet issues, but respectfully - it was raised in this post also. As they are separate issues they should be kept as separate posts.

Stevo 52

Windows 10 Mail isn't a great email client in my own opinion.

If your internet is slow, then of course everything over it is slow.. but is that the problem with your email?  Are you actually receiving email? or are you having trouble actually downloading the emails from the Telstra/Bigpond server to start with? Have you tried going directly to Webmail and making sure you can read email there?

Have you only got the one device you can check email on? 

Stevo 52

G'day Steve_52

I am so sorry taking so long to get back to you.

My computer is still slow.  I spent forever yesterday trying to find my answers to my question.

Unfortunately at almost 80 years old I still have a Property to run and do not have allot of time to spend on the computer as I would like too.

Steve you beauty,  I did not think of trying my Windows 7 Computer to see if the e-mails will work perfectly when I log onto Bigpond live mail.  It does I can open everything as normal.

With my Windows 10 Computer. I can open the e-mail. But if I click on the VIEW IT ON YOUR PROFILE nothing happens.  So I think that it must be something to do with my settings on this computer.

I really do appreciate your help.  Now that I can open things with my Bigpond Web Mail I can get back into Crowd Support easier.

Cheers Perry

<Removed for Privacy>

The blocking of links on Windows 10 machine may be due to an uninstalled Windows 10 update.

This problem with Windows Mail on Windows 10 comes up usually if your default browser is anything other than Microsoft Edge. So a temporary solution is to switch your default browser to Microsoft Edge (if it isn't already). The permanent solution is to make sure that all Windows 10 updates (the critical and optional ones) are applied to your machine.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

G'day Steve_52,

My e-mail is much better.

I cannot understand why, if I receive a message from Crowd support. If I click on the blue View it on your Profile.  Nothing happens.  Also the picture will not open.

Please tell me how I can fix that please.

Cheers Perry

Hi, as I don't like the Windows 10 Mail app. I don't use it - I get all my email using Microsoft 365 Outlook (paid programme with Excel, Word, Publisher etc, also included.)

But, what you are describing sounds like the 'Notifications' settings in Windows 10 are not set correctly. You could have a look there. Microsoft like to influence you to use their apps and 'features' but you don't have to - so you can change the Notifications settings as you want.

One of the reasons I don't use the Mail app is because clicking on embedded links don't always produce the correct/expected result - an embedded link to a specific Telstra page will take me to a general Telstra page instead. This might be due, as @Jupiter  says, because of the selected default browser but I prefer to use Brave Browser and I don't see the problem using the full Outlook email client anyway.

I would imagine that you have default Windows settings, and haven't made changes? If so, if your problem is mostly when you try to access CrowdSupport emails, I would suggest you don't use those links in the emails - instead just open CrowdSupport in a browser manually and login - any messages that have replied to your posts will appear in your notifications list (right side of the screen, under your profile) once you are logged in.

Stevo 52

G'day Steve_52

Thank you for your reply.

Just as a matter of interest just as I was typing my computer just turned it's self off. I have no reason why.  I am starting again.

It is only the Windows 10 computer I am having a problem with.

I use Telstra Bigpond. Board Band Unlimited down load.

I have only the computer and a Telstra Modem plus a Land Line.

On the top of the Modem.  The SIGNAL LIGHT IS Orange.  The LINK & ONLINE are green and the PHONE LIGHT is off.  On the side The WIFI Light is Green.  The PAIR LIGHT is off.  The Power Light is green.

I hope that helps.

Cheers Perry

It might be you Windows 10 PC that is not setup properly. Was there any error message when the PC turned off?

Didn't you try with another PC (Windows 7)? Is that not always connected?

Can you see a label on the Telstra modem, possibly on the bottom?

Do you have a homephone as part of your Telstra broadband service? Is you phone connected to the modem?

You are getting some terminology mixed up..  there is no Bigpond 'Live' - do you mean Webmail? Webmail handle Telstra and Bigpond mail accounts.

Stevo 52

Hi again,

No I do not receive any error messages.

Is there a way I can reset my Windows 10 to it's default settings without losing anything? I mean files not al the extra things I do not need?

My Window & Computer is Connected to my Modem but I only use it for my programs that I have not got on Windows !0

Yes the phone is connected to the Modem with a ADSL Splitter.

I log on to Telstra Web Mail &  My Telstra Account.

I hope that helps you Cheers Perry

You have provided your Wi-Fi details (which you should delete because this is an open forum), not the Modem Make (Technicolor/Arcaydyan)and Model (DJAXXXX or LH1000) etc.

As an aside, does the Windows 10 interface confuse you? If so you can try a small program called Classic Shell which will turn the Windows 10 taskbar into something like the Windows 7 one..  :-)

So are you using Webmail or the Windows 10 mail for your email?

Stevo 52

Hi again Steve,

Sorry.  The Number is DGA0230.

No the Windows 10 Interface does not confuse me I am so used to it now as I have had it for years.

I use Window 10 Mail for my e-mails. I use Microsoft Edge for my Search Engine.

I appreciate your help.

Cheers Perry

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit