Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Cannot send email – get 550 “suspected spam” error

Answered

Since yesterday (20 July 2020) my Bigpond email, which has worked fine for years, refuses to send email, but incoming email is OK. When trying to send, I get “error 550 suspected spam”.

This happens on various devices – my PC (using WinLiveMail), also on an iPad using its email client, and also on Webmail which I have tried on several devices. So… it seems associated with my email name/credentials rather than the device being used. It happens with simple text-only email.

I have tried all self-help options: virus check OK, browser cookies cleaned. Following Crowdsource advice to others I used spamhaus to verify my IP address is not blocked, and invaluement to check my email address is not blacklisted. Telstra shop staff can’t help. Telstra’s online email robot troubleshooter can’t help either – it freezes at the 50% point, which suggests there is a tech issue even it can’t get around.

As far as I know, I have altered nothing to bring this about. The only unusual thing yesterday was I replied to an email from my son using a Syd Uni email address, and in his email was a URL to googledocs document he had wanted me to look at. Maybe that, automatically being in my reply, began this saga - but that’s only a guess.

I don’t know what to do. Help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot send email – get 550 “suspected spam” error

Thanks for taking an interest and replying.  I am pleased to say this turned out to be great advice!  I contacted the Postmaster with the details and received sensational, prompt service.  Problem now fixed.  A sincere bouquet to Bigpond's Postmaster!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Try forwarding the response message, along with your details and when it started happening to postmaster@bigpond.com the email should get through even if it come back with a bounce message.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thanks for taking an interest and replying.  I am pleased to say this turned out to be great advice!  I contacted the Postmaster with the details and received sensational, prompt service.  Problem now fixed.  A sincere bouquet to Bigpond's Postmaster!

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit