Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Cannot Send Email via my Bigpond POP3 account using Outlook.com web site

Answered

Hi All

I suspect this may just be something Telstra simply does not permit, but couldnt find anything official to support this.

I am using the legacy Telstra Mail PO3 service. I havent been migrated to the new IMAP service nor have I been scheduled to do so. I needed a clean way to access all of my emails from multiple sources (home pc, work pc, tablet etc), preferably in the one place so I started looking at some options.

My prefered concept was to setup an Outlook.com account, then configure all my various email addresses (Bigpond, Gmail etc) as additional accounts within Outlook.com so that all my email is received into my Outllok.com account. This has the benefit of being ISP independent as well should I change at some point. I could then connect all my devices to the one Outlook.com account to access all my emails in one place.

Note - I am not using any email client at this stage of the process, I am purely using the www.outlook.com web site.

I set up a new Microsoft Account and Outlook.com account (lets say me.outlook.com).

I logged into the Outlook.com web site and added my bigpond account as a POP3 "Connected Account". I set all the server settings as per my already working Outlook client and as per Telstra's recommendations.

Outlook.com successfully receives my bigpond emails so clearly the username & password are correct as is the incoming server configuration.

When I go to send an email via the Outllook.com website, I get the choice to choose the "From" address since I have an additional account (Bigpond POP3) configured,. I can select either me.outlook.com or me.bigpond.com as the "From" address in the email. When I select me.bigpond.com, I presume it tries to send the email via the configured Bigpond account. The email goes into the Drafts folder which seems to be standard process for Outllok.com but it stays there and never sends. If I open the email in the Drafts folder and click on "Send" again, I get a red error that says "This message hasn't been sent". I had been using Edge but when I tried with IE I also got an additional pop-up message that says "Couldn't send the following message" but no further explanation as to why.

In order to proove if it was an Outlook.com or Bigpond issue I configured my Gmail account and when I sent an email with my Gmail address as the "From" value, it worked perfectly. It still creates the email in the Drafts fodler first (I presume this replaces the old "Outbox") but it gets sent fairly soon afterwards. The only difference being that the Gmail account is configured as an IMAP account as opposed to the Bigpond account which is configured as POP3.

My outgoing server is set to "mail.bigpond.com" on port 587. Authentication is set to "Basic" and Encryption is set to "SSL". I've tried the othe port no recommended by Telstra (465) also without success. There are no other settings available and I've tried the combinations of the other options anyway withut success. .

I even tried configuring my bigpond account using the Telstra IMAP server settings but unsurprisingly that didnt work as it "couldnt contact server".

Would be interesting to see if anyone else with a POP3 Bigpond account can reproduce this issue.

Cheers

Doug_M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot Send Email via my Bigpond POP3 account using Outlook.com web site

The Telstra server will only let you send emails if you are connected through the Telstra network.

The Oultook.com server that you are trying to send from is not connected to the Telstra network (your computer is).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The Telstra server will only let you send emails if you are connected through the Telstra network.

The Oultook.com server that you are trying to send from is not connected to the Telstra network (your computer is).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

More than likely you have been migrated over onto the mail servers for the New Telstra Mail (imap.telstra.com) without being told that your services have been moved. My existing BigPond email has never had any issues up until this weekend when it stopped being able to send emails. Go to email.telstra.com and try logging into that site using your email login credentials.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi we’ll email you when your exact move date is, and steps you’ll need to follow when we schedule the email account to be moved to Telstra Mail.  To access your email via a browser visit www.telstra.com/email

Highlighted

Hi if your email is still on the BigPond Mail platform.  Login to Outlook.com via the web version and go to options from your inbox.  Under the settings wheel.

Go to Your email accounts

Select email account, Detail & Edit  

check the username make sure it is the full email address (nb I noticed with my account I had to re-enter the full email address again in username and re-enter your password.)

ie Username

Enter your full email address (ending in '@bigpond.com' or '@bigpond.net.au' '@telstra.com') 

Enter your Telstra email account password which will be case-sensitive.

check mail settings as per below

Incoming server details
  • Server address
mail.bigpond.com
  • Port
  • Encrypted connection
SSL

Outgoing server details
  • Server address
mail.bigpond.com
  • Port
587 or 465
  • Authentication
Yes
  • Encrypted connection
With SSL Encryption

Hit Save.

Let me know if this resolves your issue or not.

Highlighted

same thing happened for me when attempting to setup my new Telstra email using the New Telstra Mail server settings. 

for imap.telstra.com, both ios and android deveices state that tht imap server is not responding. I then tried to send an email from by existing bigpond email that has been set up for almost 5 years. No previous issues, however as of the weekend just gone, i suddenly cant send anymore with a Mail Delivery Failed notification received stating that the smtp remote server has permantly failed. 

Whichever "bright spark" at Telstra who decided to muck around with the new telstra mail migration on the weekwend has caused major issues! Now I've lost access to my email until tney fix issue.

Highlighted

Then why did Telstra offer the Outlook.com service to begin with? As a temporary fix because it suited the business, thats why. Now Telstra is not accepting liability for Outlook.com - again because it suits the business. Now's Telstra is secretly attempting to integrate yet another new mail system ( Telstra Mail ) and causing even more issues! Y'all should've just kept using what "worked" ... you have all this new info on how to setup Telstra Mail, but absolutely zip documentation on how to troubleshoot an issue when your own imap.telstra.com servers are unresponsive so emails cant even be setup on our devices! 

@Jupiter wrote:

Highlighted

Hi All

I tend to agree with the first response from Jupiter that Telstra wont allow you to send email via another provider (i.e. Outlook.com)

As to all the other responses, thank you very much but they were all covered off in my OP.

Time to stop using my bigpond.com email address so I'm no longer locked in to an ISP.

Cheers all.

Doug

Highlighted

I have the same problem. My outlook settings have been changed from POP3 to Imap for incoming emails without any notification  and now I am getting an error message that there is no authentication  from the server. Help please. 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi dienaj1, 

In order to help I'll need to gather more information. When you mentioned your 'outlook settings' is this the email computer program/app called Outlook or is your email being hosted on the Outlook.com email platform?  If it is the Outlook computer program which version is it (i.e. 2007, 2010 etc). This will help me to provide the best answer to you.

You can use the following link to see which email platform your mailbox is using. Look at the column titled Current Email Server, does it say MyInbox or Outlook.com?

https://emailupdate.telstra.com/

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit