Level 5: Eagle Eye

Continual Web Mail Woes

Answered

I received an email a few days ago stating the webmail upgrade is still ongoing. I hope so as there still are problems. Although webmail seems more stable and webmail is no longer showing as an outage but:

1. I still sometimes get “loading” errors when attempting to delete emails;

2. If an email is being drafted and a new message arrives, the draft in progress cannot always be saved and emails flagged to delete cannot be deleted. Either the screen continually shows “Loading” message and it does not progress or “Your Request Could not be Performed. Please try again later” message;

3. If formatted emails are in draft and gave been saved, the formatting is lost when the email is re-edited. Word wrap converts to line feeds;

4. Often the email Send button is not illuminated for no apparent reason and no error message when replying to an email. The recipient’s email address is in the correct format not coloured red. If able to save as a draft then reopened, the email will sometimes send;

5. If the login to email.telstra.com/webmail times out due to inactivity whilst drafting an email, the email draft is lost instead of autosaved before being timed out;

6. Sometimes when attempting to select check box on, another email 1 or 2 below the one upon which the cursor is pleased gets selected & opened or no response;

7. The 300K limit to embedded text/graphics in an email is not sufficient for emails this century;

When can Telstra customers expect webmail to work as it should in 2020, in particular:

a. A stable platform that is a bit more responsive

b. Allow the text/ embedded graphics of an email to exceed 300K. 300K is often not large enough for a screen print.

c. An upgrade to the web mail user interface to a platform that has a more contemporary formatting options (for example more than the currently very limited fonts & sizes),

d. A resizable and movable window for creating & editing emails where the formatting options do not disappear when scrolling down the email being edited?

e. Autosave draft emails - especially if webmail auto-logs out due to inactivity or "taking too long" to write an email?

f. offers more useful email search options?

g. additional sending and other options?

h. Better contact functions - viz offer auto-create an email address contact from an email received?

i. Better junk email management

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Continual Web Mail Woes

My suggestion would be to use a fully fledged email client on your devices rather than rely on Webmail - as can be seen from the impact of the recent server outage, keeping emails there is not a great idea.

You don't go to the post office to read your snail mail, it comes to your letter box - having an email client in place does much the same thing.

All the things on your wish list for Webmail are usually provided by any good email client like Thunderbird, Outlook, Mailspring, GMail (on android devices) and many others. If you are a Windows 10 user, there is also the Windows Mail app but I am not a fan of that one personally. You also have better email management, security and safety with a local copy  of the emails. You can back them up, save a copy etc. and recover locally. An email client will also allow you to have multiple email accounts in the one place/program/app, you can have multiple signatures and many other capabilities.

Of course it is your call but if you pick up your email on a local client, and delete those emails from the server, you assist everyone by keeping a bare minimum on the server.  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

My suggestion would be to use a fully fledged email client on your devices rather than rely on Webmail - as can be seen from the impact of the recent server outage, keeping emails there is not a great idea.

You don't go to the post office to read your snail mail, it comes to your letter box - having an email client in place does much the same thing.

All the things on your wish list for Webmail are usually provided by any good email client like Thunderbird, Outlook, Mailspring, GMail (on android devices) and many others. If you are a Windows 10 user, there is also the Windows Mail app but I am not a fan of that one personally. You also have better email management, security and safety with a local copy  of the emails. You can back them up, save a copy etc. and recover locally. An email client will also allow you to have multiple email accounts in the one place/program/app, you can have multiple signatures and many other capabilities.

Of course it is your call but if you pick up your email on a local client, and delete those emails from the server, you assist everyone by keeping a bare minimum on the server.  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

View solution in original post

Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hi Steve,

Thanks or your suggestions however they doesn’t address Telstra’s shortcomings in the delivery of services that customers pay for.  Like most people, I do retrieve mail into multiple other mail apps and am very familiar with email servers and email clients, which is how I know Telstra’s mail server application is pre-historic. Sometimes I and others unfortunately need to rely upon Telstra’s web mail interface and wish to retain mail offsite for multiple reasons in addition to other backups we do.  And why shouldn’t we expect webmail or any other service we pay for to operate properly? 

Telstra’s extended email outage that still isn’t complete even though they have removed the online outage indicator stating so.  According to their “help” centre some hours ago, they still had an outage yet they don't advertise it. One of Telstra's email servers died during August and has just been resurrected or replaced this week.  That’s beyond 2 months of disrupted emails.   Telstra needs their butts kicked.   Even though I attempted to retrieve mail into other apps, emails did not always retrieve reliably and often disappeared temporarily during download/refreshes.  Often emails sent multiple times due to time out problems negotiating send acknowledgments at the recipient end. Email is more important than snail mail this millennium and Telstra’s mail outage indicates they do not have a hot spare mail server capable of managing the workload.  Like other Telcos, Telstra provide webmail and other services and they should meet minimum standards of service, usability and functionality.    Telstra customers pay premium prices to Australia’s largest Telco, yet this is an example of a less than satisfactory service.   I appreciate failed hardware can be unexpected however current technology and properly implemented disaster recovery plans should have made that mail server failure a non-event.

Telstra’s frontline people spend too much time requesting personal information when account information is not required.  It is obvious that resources need to be prioritised toward resolving technical issues, disaster recovery and upgrading front-end systems, not just their back-end systems.  Telstra’s implementation of their help system on Android is appalling.  Every time an agent takes over a case/technical matter (on change of his or her shift or other commitments), they need customers to convey personal information again.  Not only that, operators don’t bother to read details of problems already documented on previous posts and need to be rewritten.  Telstra operators should already have customer details as we need to be logged into the app to communicate with Telstra’s “help” staff and the personal information was already provided when commencing a call.   Dealing with Telstra’s “help” service is one of the most frustrating and time wasting events ever.

And yes, I do go to the post office to collect and possibly read my mail whilst out as I don’t get mail delivered at home.  Most of it gets binned whilst I’m out as its usually unimportant advertising material.

Thanks again for the time you’ve taken to document alternate methods of dealing with email.  Another alternate is to use a different Telco that does offer a more reliable and contemporary webmail service.

I hear all you are saying and do not disagree at all with most of it.. 

Stevo 52
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra’s Web mail is Soooo bad (unless you want to use it at 1am 🙄) that I have advised my priority email contacts to change from name@telstra.com to newname@icloud.com. I now get a response to a test message I send to newname@icloud.com from name@telstra.com in 2 seconds instead of 30 seconds or more at any time of day so it is received mail only apparently. A few years ago Telstra in their wisdom urged, almost forced, me to change from name@bigpond.com to name@telstra.com. It worked great for a couple years as imap clients on multiple up to date IOS devices. The last 2 years it is ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS. Slow; always ‘checking for Mail’; indicates a new message has arrived but none there until I close email and clear everything then reload email, etc, etc.  Telstra should be absolutely ashamed to do this to any clients let alone very long term ones.

Check your account, only bigpond.com email addresses, not my name@telstra.com.

Is rubbish!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit