Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Deleted emails returning with POP account on Live Mail, Windows 8.1

I am using an @bigpond.com account

I recently started having this  problem. I would delete emails, and then Live Mail empties out the deleted folder on exiting, so the messages are purged. But if I check my email the next day,  deleted emails have been resent and appear in my Inbox as unread. This can keep happening for message that are up to one week old.

Seems like my account can't keep track of what is being deleted. Is POP still fully supported, or should I be swithcving to an IMAP account?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Deleted emails returning with POP account on Live Mail, Windows 8.1

if you are only accessing it on the one device you could sign in online and tell it to delete from server after download, but it is meant to be fully supportive of POP... However you should also be able to sign into it as a Microsoft Account and then it would access it as a Microsoft account not a POP/IMAP as LiveMail's default is the Microsoft accounts.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Thanks, I turned on the option to  delete messages from the server.

It is still pointing to pop3.live.com as the incomping Mail server, wouldn't accept mail,bigpond.com which is the suggested setting.

Interesting to use the outlook.com interface to see 5000 messages in a folder called Deleted->POP, almost 3 years worth of locally deleted files. Does anything ewvery get removed from there?

Highlighted

I am still getting the problem of emails being resent.

Does it make any difference if the emails were deleted without being viewed? Seems like the server doesn't receive the signal that a message has been deleted locally.

Highlighted
Level 11: Detective

With mobile devices you have the option of deletion of emails once they are read that I leave off. This done in the setup of incoming server settings.

when I read and emails on my PC, the emails are autmaticaly deleted on the server and retaind on my PC till I delete them then.

When you select "all read" that will most likley clear your email server of any unread emails.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit