tykem
Level 2: Rookie

email address retention - authentication error with outlook and mobile pop clients

Answered

Hi,

I recently switched to Bigpond Ultimate cable from a bigpond wireless service. I had my old email address transferred as a secondary address to my new cable service (the email retention took about 3 weeks as promised).

The problem I've encountered is that I'm unable to access this retained/transferred email address via a pop3 client such as outlook or on my mobile. I just get authentication errors. I can access via the webmail/windows live browser so I know the account details are correct. My new primary account works ok with outlook and the settings are identical apart from the username.

I spoke to somebody at Bigpond Tech support today who said this was a known problem with email retention accounts and outlook. They said they would call me back but I missed the call.

Just wondering if anyone who knows what the problem is and if it can be fixed as I need the outlook/pop connectivity. (I wouldn't have bothered with retaining/transferring this address if I'd known it wasn't going to work or only work with webmail/Live browser login.

Thanks for any information.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Lathania
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: email address retention - authentication error with outlook and mobile pop clients

Try to use your BigPond credentials to log into http://login.live.com (Not through the BigPond website) if you are unable to log in you will not be able to use the email address in any mail client. To resolve this, your password will need to be reset by Telstra and then you will need to wait a maximum of 48 hours but I've seen it fix the issue in 10 minutes.

If you can login to http://login.live.com with your BigPond email address then it is a matter of using the Windows Live mail settings https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary

INCOMING SERVER SETTINGS

• POP Server: pop3.live.com
  • Security: This server requires a secure connection (SSL)
  • Port: Default SSL Port 995

OUTGOING SERVER SETTINGS

• SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
  • Security: This server requires a secure connection (TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the mail client you’re using)
    • If you are currently using Outlook, Mac Mail, iPhones, Windows Phones, Android’s please use TLS.
  • Port: Default TLS Port 587

IMPORTANT – ALSO BE SURE TO:

• Tick the box indicating outgoing server requires authentication (in most email clients, this is not selec ted by default).
  • Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection, and SMTP authentication for security.
Lathania

View solution in original post

tykem
Accepted Solution

Re: email address retention - authentication error with outlook and mobile pop clients

Thanks to everyone who tried to help - I think the email retention process hadn't completed entirely. I received an email saying my email retention account was all ready to go yesterday (and it was available through webmail/windows live, but no pop3 access). I received an SMS on my phone this afternoon confirming that email retention was completed and I should login and change password etc. - Now it works via pop3/outlook and android phone.

So I just should have waited an extra day....

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

As its changed to Windows Live, are you using the correct Incoming/Outgoing Mail Servers?

Best think to do is to check here (http://messaging.bigpond.com/update/status.do ) and see if you are using the correct server settings, as these may have changed.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

tykem

Yes, I have checked these are all correct and as I said my other primary account (windows Live also) works fine and settings are identical apart from username/password. The person at Tech support said this was a known issue with email retention accounts and outlook.....

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@tykem wrote:

Yes, I have checked these are all correct and as I said my other primary account (windows Live also) works fine and settings are identical apart from username/password. The person at Tech support said this was a known issue with email retention accounts and outlook.....

Could you try using the old settings (ie: Mail.bigpond.com).... It might work?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

wdtvandsound
Level 11: Detective

POP3 & SMTP is still the usual in and out: mail.bigpond.com

No uppercase to be used!!!!

Regards

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
Lathania
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Try to use your BigPond credentials to log into http://login.live.com (Not through the BigPond website) if you are unable to log in you will not be able to use the email address in any mail client. To resolve this, your password will need to be reset by Telstra and then you will need to wait a maximum of 48 hours but I've seen it fix the issue in 10 minutes.

If you can login to http://login.live.com with your BigPond email address then it is a matter of using the Windows Live mail settings https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary

INCOMING SERVER SETTINGS

• POP Server: pop3.live.com
  • Security: This server requires a secure connection (SSL)
  • Port: Default SSL Port 995

OUTGOING SERVER SETTINGS

• SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
  • Security: This server requires a secure connection (TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the mail client you’re using)
    • If you are currently using Outlook, Mac Mail, iPhones, Windows Phones, Android’s please use TLS.
  • Port: Default TLS Port 587

IMPORTANT – ALSO BE SURE TO:

• Tick the box indicating outgoing server requires authentication (in most email clients, this is not selec ted by default).
  • Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection, and SMTP authentication for security.
Lathania

tykem
Accepted Solution

Thanks to everyone who tried to help - I think the email retention process hadn't completed entirely. I received an email saying my email retention account was all ready to go yesterday (and it was available through webmail/windows live, but no pop3 access). I received an SMS on my phone this afternoon confirming that email retention was completed and I should login and change password etc. - Now it works via pop3/outlook and android phone.

So I just should have waited an extra day....

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit