thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Email Address Retention

For many people, myself included, an email address is more important than a phone number and being asked to change it can cause massive inconvenience. Your email address may be used;

• To keep in touch with friends and family all over the globe
  • For your business so clients or vendors can contact you
  • As your login username or where your password will be sent if you forget it for websites such as Facebook, Twitter or PayPal
  • To receive invoices from utilities such as our Telstra Email Bill
  • To notify you of charges on your Credit Card to prevent fraud
  • To receive newsletters or updates from websites

I am sure there are many other uses I have missed but the point is that I am sure we can all agree: updating all of the above with new email details can be a chore and one that we could do without!

But what happens when your circumstances change and you need to change services? Perhaps you currently have ADSL but move in to an area where Cable is available or want to swap that fixed broadband service for something more mobile.

Previously, this meant have to say goodbye to your faithful BigPond email address and be faced with the inconvenience of updating all your contact points. The good news is that we have received your feedback and now have a process where you can keep your BigPond email address when moving between different services with us as an additional mailbox at no cost.

This also applies to old email addresses that you had with us previously that you would like back!

Before you take advantage of this new process there are some things that you need to know.

1. While we will make every effort to minimise the loss of emails you receive while your mailbox is being moved/assigned, it is possible that the mailbox will not accept incoming emails for a short period of time. During this time, you will not be able to access your mailbox.
  2. Any existing emails, address book and mail settings (like mail-forwarding) will be lost from webmail. We strongly advise that you set-up your mail client (like Microsoft Outlook) to download your emails and address book to your local machine via POP, if you have not already done so.
  3. While the additional mailbox will be set up at no cost to you any early termination charges may continue to apply.
  4. All other BigPond email addresses (other than the ones requested) will be lost; these include any secondary mailboxes associated to the primary email address.
  5. While in the vast majority of cases we can perform the BigPond email transfer/assignment successfully, in a small number of cases, it may not be possible. In these circumstances, you will be contacted and advised.

Okay, so you now know we CAN do it but how do you go about requesting it?

Jump onto our Facebook Support page and either chat with us live or submit an email support request. Send a message to our Social Media team, @Telstra on Twitter or call us on 132200 and say ‘BigPond Billing’.

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Email Address Retention

@thedylan wrote:

This also applies to old email addresses that you had with us previously that you would like back!

-Dylan

Disclaimer: I'm not really a fan of using ISP email accounts

like you say they are a bit like phone numbers in their importance these days but lack the portability of a phone number, however, I have to say being able to get an old email address back is a really good service and nice to see 🙂 Kudos to whoever thought of that

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
ossieosborne
Level 1: Cadet

Hi,

Does this also include if I go onto a pre-paid plan. I have to move house and will need to break my contract as the places we are going to already have internet with other ISP's. If I get pre-paid can I retain my email address?

cheers

Peta

jackelsii

I transferred my WIfi email address to my adsl account last week and can send emails but not receive them and nobody at tech support knows why this is happening. And nobody seems to care either. I have been told it is a Telstra server issue so why is nobody fixing it? I have been on the phone for over 3 hours with different tech people and none of them can fix it - why cant somebody help me?

putmeonhold

Been waiting 3 days for email retention address to be fixed, talked to 2 level 1 techs, live chat with 3 level 2 techs, even had one tech remote my computer to see if it was my end. Had my password reset twice only to be told its some server problem. Today level 2 tech appointment at 7pm didn't happen, had to chase up myself; <removed> just in case someone from telstra wants to verify. Finally got on to a Ronald from Malaysia who has now set me up with a case manager <removed>  who will contact me tomorrow (Friday) and continue to keep me up to date.

theriddlers
Level 2: Rookie

I too am having the same problem and I'm not too impressed either.  I have spoken to that many techs and telstra employees its just not funny any more. I have spent most of the past 5 days on the phone with Tesltra trying to get the problem fixed and I am about to bill Telstra for "MY" time, like I have nothing better to do than spend all day talking to them.

I am now being told it is a problem with Windows Live from Microsoft as they now have some system agreement with them  If Microsoft are the problem why don't they just go back to the system that was actually "WORKING" before they decided to partner with Microsoft, doesn't that make complete sense as it sure does to me. I have only had this problem for 1 week but seems it has been a problem for months going by the other crowd support topics.

I have already had organisations and friends ringing me as they have been getting messages saying that my email address has been getting rejected so I can't see how my emails will even be getting through into a queue waiting for the system to be fixed if they are being rejected back to the senders.

I still reckon just go back to the system that was working before as they say if it aint broke don't try to fix it.

Hutch

I too am having a problem with my email address which got deactivated. When my wireless modem plan ran out about a month ago I got a phone call from Telstra offering me a new sierra wireless modem on better terms than my old wireless modem. Telstra gave me a new email address saying that they needed to  just to start things up but my old email address would still be good and I could continue to use it. All went well for a month or so it seemed. Well a month later my bill arived and I noticed two modem charges on the account. One was associated with the old modem and had the email address I like to use and the other was a different modem on the new email address which I didn't want. They gave me a credit and I guess deleted the old modem from my account but away went my old and preferred email. It was deactivated. I have spent the last 5 days trying to get my email address back but to no avail. I've been told it is done or will be for 48 hours or one even said 15 days. One helper from the call centre even managed to get it back but it only lasted a day and became deactivated. Eventually I will use only my hotmail email address. I too would like to give Telstra the flip and go elsewhere. I have been very disappointed with them. The overseas call centres I have fould on the main pretty useless. They say it is fixed but it is not.

lingy

Hi all,

this topic saddens me as i was hoping my situation was a one off and it would be fixed quickly but after reading all the comments feems we are up **bleep** creek.

my email migration has been going on for a month now.

i have been given every excuse under the sun, and even hung up on multipletimes when they say there will put me on hold to sort issue out (they obviously know its a huge problem and a scared of dealing with it)

So anyone had any success as ive got no where fast???????

i am currently on hold for a supervisor and ill see how that goes but i wont hold my breath.

Y U MAKE LIFE SOO DIFFICULT BIGPOND/TELSTRA!!!!!!

any help would be great. comon moderators you must know something???

Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Lingy,

Sorry to hear your email migration isn't going smoothly, while you can appreciate every migration isn't the same, a month is a bit long for this process to be completed. 

Hopefully, your call yesterday went well and everything is resolved, however, just incase, I've sent you a PM with our online form. Once that is filled in, I can look into your email retention and see what I can do to get this resolved asap. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

jenniferfox
Level 2: Rookie

Can you look into my problem too? We have lost 3 email addresses - my husband's business email address a few weeks ago, and now both our personal email addresses 3 days ago. No warning just suddenly closed. No-one from any number I waste time ringing at telstra knows why or can help. As this is obviously not an isolated problem, can I add my problem so we don't have to reinvent the wheel and wait for another telstra employee to work out what to do - you must have a person/team working on this problem?

Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Jenniferfox,

Happy to look into this as well, I'll PM you our link 🙂

Victor

We are upgrading to 4G Big Pond Mobile Wi-Fi and wish to retain our email adress as it is used for business. We have been advised that activation can happen and email address retained within 48 hours. However given the issues outlined by other customers in relation to time frames and loss of email history etc. I remain reluctant to go ahead with activation. It is imperative that we maintain the email adress, contacts and history for business purposes. IsTelstra able to gaurantee that these will be retained?

Bonus888

1. All other BigPond email addresses (other than the ones requested) will be lost; these include any secondary mailboxes associated to the primary email address

Moving to a business broadband plan and keeping my primary email but we have Ipads that use secondary mailboxes as logins. Any way of keeping these secondary boxes?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit