tcssi
Level 2: Rookie

Email app access

I am able to access my email on my computer through the telstra website - wembail but I wasn't able to receive any emails on my Mail app on my iphone so I deleted the account and now I can't add the account again.  It's keeps saying that my username and password are incorrect!  

I have also tried to add my email to other email apps but it's the same.

I have contacted Telstra and they won't help me as they're saying its a problem with the app because I can login on the computer through Webmail.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
30 REPLIES 30
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Email app access

Are these the settings you are using.

IMAP settings

Account type:

• Account type: IMAP

Incoming server details:

• Incoming server address: imap.telstra.com

• Incoming server port: 993

• Encrypted connection: SSL

Outgoing server details:

• Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com

• Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587

• SMTP authentication: On

• Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587

Username & Password:

• User name: Your Telstra email address - ending in ‘@bigpond.com’, ‘@bigpond.net.au’ or ‘@telstra.com.’

• Password: Your Telstra email account password - REMEMBER it’s case sensitive.

Other settings to check:

• Make sure ‘Outgoing server requires authentication’ is ticked.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

tcssi

Tried all of this...no luck!

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Which email app are you using on your iPhone?.

To assist somebody in a separate thread, I recently installed the Gmail app on my iPhone and added my Telstra Mail account without dramas.

You could try that (as a test at least), by clicking Sign in -> Add account > Other (IMAP), then proceed remembering to enter your complete email address (and the password that works with WebMail).

When I did that it automatically picked up the correct settings.

tcssi

Thanks for the reply.  Just tried that and Gmail won't accept my username and password either!!!  I Don't know what is going on...

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Are you sure the credentials you are using are exactly the same as what you use to login in to Webmail (or your Telstra account)?

Have you successfully logged in to Webmail since you started having trouble with the mail apps?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
tcssi

Yep...entered exactly as they are.

And yep...logged into Webmail since.

cf4

Can you log in to Telstra mail using the Windows mail app?

Telstra - How do I set up my Telstra Mail® on Windows Mail 10? - Support

SteveW_52

I am not an iPhone user but I am guessing there is somewhere that all accounts are stored? Check there and make sure any existing account by that name is deleted..  also check the mail app to see if you can clear data and cache, restart the device and try again?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
tcssi

No, can't log into that either.  I had been using Windows Mail too up until yesterday.

tcssi

I have deleted and added this account so many times and it won't work.  I don;t have another account named the same.

How do I clear the data and cache on my iphone?

cf4

Is this problem occurring both when iPhone is connected to home WiFi network or also occurring with iPhone using cellular data.

SteveW_52

The fact that you have done that is what makes me wonder if you have some data hiding somewhere..  if you have been trying different apps then that might be the cause..  but you seem to be unable to access the account from Windows apps as well?

I use Androids and on those you can open the Apps app, go to the app concerned and then go in a delete cache and data..  there is bound to be a similar thing in iOS?

If you are using the native iPhone mail you probably won't be able to uninstall that, but may undoing previous updates would help? As I said, I am not very familiar with Apple stuff..  but the first thing to try though, for me, would be a power off, wait several minutes, power on again cycle...  a full restart has been known to fix things before now..

Stevo 52
Dowser

It would be interesting to test if you can configure the Gmail app on a different iPhone, jus to see if it is peculiar to your iPhone.

tcssi

Both wifi and data.  I've tried both

tcssi

It would be interesting about the gmail app.  My brother uses android so I might try that tomorrow...

tcssi

I thought that about the data hiding somewhere but yes, can't login on windows mail app either.  It's like it's blocking all third party apps!

Not sure deleting the mail app would work.  It's happening on multiple apps.

SteveW_52

I was saying that I didn't think you would be able to delete the app..

The symptoms are odd..  if there is a rogue account set up somewhere, it is hard to know where the data would be 'hiding' but that is what it looks like..  have you tried the power cycle on your phone? have deleted all the apps, other than the iphone native mail app (that you tried and installed the account to - even if it didn't work) and restarted the phone?

What model is the iPhone and what iOS version?

Stevo 52
cf4

The fact that the problem is occurring on different connection types, on different apps and across different devices points to a problem with your Telstra mailbox. If support want investigate lodge a complaint. There are instructions for lodging a complaint at link below.

Make a complaint (telstra.com.au)

tcssi

I've tried deleting apps and restarting phone.

Iphone XR - 14.4.2

tcssi

I agree.  I was on the phone to telstra twice today and on the web chat for over an hour.  I will be lodging a complaint.  They have said it's not their problem but I think it is...

Frustrated135
Level 1: Cadet

I've spent 6 hours on this since 7 June when my bigpond mail acct stopped working using mail on my Mac. Numerous online chat sessions with an 11 minute response time to a simple question and an hour each session while going round in circles and not addressing the simplest of questions. Including 45 minutes on the phone last night with a telstra service agent who could not confirm for me the correct server names and port numbers to use for pop mail on my account!! Smart troubleshooter hung repeatedly and logged me out of my telstra after 20 minutes.
I called support again and spoke to an Aussie service agent who is in the Platinum team (telstra paid tech support) and was able to conform the server settings I should be using (still don't work) and also told me she'd spent all day responding to the same issue from numerous customers and this is an apple issue to do with an update to the mail app which isn;t communicating with the telstra servers correctly and should be fixed when apple update again, in the meantime I have to use webmail for email access.

Dowser

Read my earlier post in this thread about setting up the Gmail app on my iPhone to access my Telstra Mail account.

I tried it again just now and had it setup and working in two minutes.

I am using iOS 14.6

cf4

Telstra mail works ok on my iPad with IOS 14.6 using the standard IOS Mail app. The fact that other mail apps and mail apps on other devices don’t work tends to suggest that the problem is due to this particular mailbox.

TCWT

Having the exact same issue and I believe it is Telstra's fault.  Webmail works fine but no mail client will accept the same email/password in windows (Outlook 2016, Outlook 2010, Windows Mail, EM-Client) and also iPhone Mail app both on WiFi or Telstra 4G.  Manually setup with POP or IMAP using setting expressly advised in this conversation and independently from Tesltra website via Google and Telstra Live Chat bot.

The same settings have been used last week with no issues at all.  Positive it's a Telstra issue.

Also confirmed with two different completely unrelated @bigpond.com email addresses.

SteveW_52

Conversely, none of my Telstra/Bigpond accounts are exhibiting the problem on any email client on my windows or Android devices...  as well as working in Webmail...  

I don't make this comment to dispute anything in the thread, just an observation that it might not be system wide?

Were any changes made to the affected user accounts recently, befor the problem occurred?

Stevo 52
Dowser

Same for me. I wonder if our accounts are on a different server to those people having issues.

TCWT

One account in particular I am just attempting to download the mail because we're migrating them to Office365 Business and the account was previously working on an iPad only.  When I say previously I have to admit I am not certain if it is still working on that iPad (It may well be).  Still we are unable to add the same account to any new mail client as explained above.

I also attempted to setup a completely different and unrelated @bigpond.com account which exhibits the same symptoms when I attempt to set it up on a mail client but again webmail is fine.

So yes maybe it is only accounts that are on a particualr server but still very much believe it's something at Telstra's end.

SteveW_52

There seems to be a common factor here of the accounts having trouble, having been used from Apple devices before the problem started..  not sure what that means, maybe something wrong with IMAP implementation..

I would normally recommend the IMAP version of email accounts on an email client, but I wonder if in this case it would be worth setting up a POP version to see if that works? Note that you can have both POP and IMAP versions of the same email account setup in the on email client instance...

Would someone with an affected account, try that and report back??

Stevo 52
TCWT

Neither POP nor IMAP works sorry.  I had already tested that.  It's almost like an IP blacklisted because it is very quick to respond with the username/password prompt but I have tried on different internet connections including Telstra 4G.  I assure you I have been using the correct name servers and ports/SSL etc.  I've even tried different options including the old mail.bigpond.com which I haven't seen used in some time.

SteveW_52

OK..  that is so weird..  if I had an apple device I'd try one of my accounts to see what happens..  but I can't sorry..  if it was an IP issue, I'd expect that to also affect access via Webmail..  but hey, this is Telstra email we are taking about - i.e. weirdest and most unreliable of all email services..  

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit