Robyn23
Level 1: Cadet

Email - Cannot receive

I have 2 email addresses that cannot receive mail via my outlook program on my computer, or on my iphone. 

I have rung Telstra support twice now, each time for over 1 ½ hours, however the support staff are unable to understand or assist adequately.  They promise to have a support person contact me, but that never happens.  I have had conflicting information each time and the last telstra employee even gave me contradictory information from one sentence to the next.

I have been using these 2 email addresses for over 10 years now and not experienced any problems, so it appears to be a Telstra mail migration issue. (Note: I am able to log on to web mail using chrome). 

I was receiving email on my outlook program and also my iphone, however they both stopped receiving.  Prior to them going down, I was experiencing daily problems with a message that either password or user name were incorrect.  If I waited a couple of hours,  emails would flow through again.

I received an email for one of the email addresses back in November 2016 and the other address in December 2016, advising that the email had migrated to Telstra mail and they continued working without any issue ....... until now.

These 2 email addresses were on the old mail.bigpond.com platform.  The last person that I spoke with (I have his name and employee number) told me that one of my email addresses had migrated over however one of them had not at this point.  When I asked him when the email had migrated over he was unable to answer.  (Note: As mentioned earlier in my post, I received an email for both advising that the migration had taken place).

I do have a 3rd email address that was migrated in July 2016 and this works without issue.  I am very familiar with the new Telstra mail settings needed.  I have tried loading the email addresses with the new Telstra mail settings, however this has not worked. 

Previously there was a site which showed the scheduled date of the email move, however this site is no longer available, so I am unable to check to see what is happening, and as I have stated, no-one at Telstra is able to tell me.  I’m sure that this is a fairly straight forward question, however I cannot get past the first line of people to get an accurate answer. There was also previously a dedicated phone number to call with Telstra mail migration issues, however this has also been abandoned, so I am left having to call the standard 13 22 00 number, which leads to complete frustration.

I have spoken to a 3rd party technical support company, but they advised that this is a Telstra settings issue that needs to be taken up with Telstra.

I would love to speak with somoene at Telstra who has technical knowledge but I can't get past the front line - I have tried saying "complaint" but that has got me nowhere.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
AlistairQWA
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Email - Cannot receive

Hi Robyn23

Unfortunately there is an issue with a small number of legacy accounts not pushing onto the new platform fully. This sounds like the problem you are currently having.

This will need to be escalated through technical support to have this moved across manually so the server detects the correct platform.

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Tvn

I haver been unable to recive emails through my bigpond account since 6.00 pm yesterday, mine is a bigpond.net.au account.

Also I am unable to access webmail through any browser - keep getting a 'maintenance' message.

I am away from home and need my email urgently - it is shame that Telstra/Bigpond do not keep their customers informed

Robyn23

Hi Alistair,

Thanks for your reply, but how can I get this escalated so that the fix can be performed, when the staff on the 13 number refuse to escalate my issue?

I also tried calling the 13 number and saying "complaint" but again I was asked what the complaint was and transferred to someone with limited knowledge who refused to escalate it.  I was told twice that someone would contact me, but this has not happened.  

Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Robyn23,

I'm sorry this has been such a cause of concern for you, happy to help where I can.

I would suggest chatting with the tech team via the following secure chat link  http://tel.st/gq6m

If you wanted to place a formal complaint that is something you can do online, more on that here Lodging a complaint with Telstra

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Robyn23

Hi Angela,

I did follow your suggestion and followed your link for live chat.  After a lengthy live chat session, we agreed that it was easier for the telstra employee to call me.  She called and we spoke at length and this time I was told that both my email addresses had migrated (during my previous call to telstra I was told that only one address had migrated).  In the end, the telstra rep told me that she would call back in 2 hours.  That was 2 days ago.  Still no call - Still in same boat.  Cannot access emails on my MS outlook program or iphone.  

I have input all the correct new telstra mail settings, plus tried a number of workarounds that Ariane on live chat suggested.(Note: I am using POP3 settings, as IMAP does not work well on outlook 2007.  I have asked the question if this poses any issues, but have not had a defined answer.  Telstra sites indicate that although IMAP is the preference of Telstra, you can choose either) 

I have not been able to access one address on my outlook program for nearly 3 weeks now and the other address for 9 days. As previously stated, I can access mail on telstra web mail, however this does not work for me as I am trying to run a small business. I am paying a large monthly fee for my telstra service which is no longer providing me with the service that I require.

An earlier post to my letter by a telstra tech support member suggested that it may have something to do with me having an old legacy account.  

So back to my question, how can I get this escalated with an experienced tech support staff member?

AlistairQWA
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Robyn23,

Tech support should have sent you a link to activate a callback and they will be able to followup from there.

If the issue is with the legacy migration then this should have been escalated which can take a few days to be completed.  
If technical support are sill unable to find a solution then you can look into lodging a complaint which Angela has linked to above.

- AlistairQWA

Robyn23

Hi Alistair,

Thanks for reply.

I followed the live chat link that Angela gave me.  I asked to speak to someone in tech support and was told that she would put me through if she needed to.  I told her that I do need to speak with tech support and she then said that she was tech support. 

Not sure if I was on to tech support, but I was not sent any link to activate a callback.  I was told that she would call back in 2 hours, but this did not happen.  

I need to operate my small business and this is causing enormous stress.  I can access web mail but this makes operating my small business very difficult.

Is there a direct number that I can call to speak directly to someone, especially with legacy account knowledge (if this is a possible issue)

Many thanks

AlistairQWA
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

There is no specific legacy account team. Technical support on 133933 are the team that is able to assist or escalate if needed and you should get a reference number  for the fault.

The Live Chat team will not have a callback link but the tech support team over the phone can send the callback links.

- AlistairQWA

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit