Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Email failing to delete

Answered

I have just one email in my inbox that will not delete and will not transfer to another folder. This email is effecting some of the many third part email software pack I have tried to get over this issue. Any thoughts?

R

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9: Captain
Accepted Solution

Re: Email failing to delete

What happens when you attempt to delete it?.

What app are you attempting this in?.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You could try the same operation in another mail app and see if you get the same result. This would check if Webmail is the cause.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

What happens when you attempt to delete it?.

What app are you attempting this in?.

Highlighted

Thank you for the response

I have attempted this in my telstra webmail Inbox. I get a message as follows

ERROR

An error occurred while loading message body.
Please try again later.

I have tried moving it to another folder, and anything else I can think of doing, but still get the same message. All other emails except this one perform as I wish.

RDW9

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You could try the same operation in another mail app and see if you get the same result. This would check if Webmail is the cause.

Highlighted

Dowser, Apologies, thought I was removing the "Accept answer" ....

In answer to your suggestion. My original mail app (Thunderbird) would no longer down load messages from the Telstra Webmail, so it was this that led me to see what was wrong with the webmail. I tried other mail apps and some would down load messages and others had a similar issue (not down loading my mail) but none of them would down load this one email (the one that I am now attempting to delete) from the Telstra webmail. 

If I was to guess at an answer, I think this one email is corrupt in some way and is just sitting in my webmail inbox.It is dated 2016. I cannot open the email nor delete it. The only one thing I have been able to do, is mark it unread and read, but as stated cannot open it.I was hoping that I could delete the entire inbox and that would include this one email and then start a fresh. Thanks for taking the time to attempt to find an answer to my issue.

Richard

Highlighted

It sounds like you can open Webmail.

Here are some suggestions therein:

(a) select the message in question and try using the More menu then Move To -- Trash.

(b) Otherwise, click the selection box above the list of Inbox emails to perform a multiple selection and then select delete (or Move to Trash).

Alternatively, try to get Thunderbird working.  If it times out while downloading emails, you can increase the server timeout setting.

Highlighted

I have tried your suggestions on a number of times. The multiple selection is what finally pointed out which email was causing my issue. If it is grouped in the selection, I get the error message. 

I had also tried to click unread with the hope that my third party software would down load this message and it would be deleted from the Telstra Webmail. The third part down loads all unread emails except the one in question

Here is the message Thunderbird provides when attempting to retrieve emails.

"The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server pop.telstra.com responded: no such message."

I can see that Thunderbird knows there are messages to down load. If I could get the one email to another folder, that should solve the issue. This I have also tried as mentioned previously.

I would like to take a moment to thank you for your efforts to date. Not being an expert in this subject it is good to get advise.

Highlighted

From what you have said, it appears that single email is corrupted and thus cannot be opened by Webmail or Thunderbird.

In order to delete it, (a) check that only that email is in the inbox.  You can run Thunderbird and it should download (and delete) all emails from the server except the offending one.

(b) You can then log into the mail server to delete that email using a utility called telnet. Search for it in your Windows search box. (It may then tell you to install it)

Run telnet, and then type the following, using your own mail Username and Password:

open pop.bigpond.com 110

user Username

pass Password

dele 1

quit

If this feels beyond you, please say.

Highlighted

Dowser

I was so confident this would work but no

Did as you said, but deleted everything in the webmail after down loading to my own mail .

So all that was left was the one email

Ran Telnet, followed the instructions, got OKs from telnet, did the dele 1, got the OK

Logged back to the webmail and there it it was, laughing at me !!!!

BUT I now had that same email in my junk folder. The copy in junk could be moved to trash and then deleted. 

So I tried again, but this time while still logged into my webmail

Followed the delete with telnet, the email was again copied into junk. So that is definitely working, but the troublesome email remains in my webmail inbox (smiling at me)

Richard

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit