PaulQ
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Email Retention the good oil...

Email Retention the good oil...to assist with a smooth and stress free transition. I’ve put the below information together which I hope comes in handy and answers any questions that are circulating.

The email retention process allows you to retain your existing BigPond email address if or when you change access technology. For example, if you move from ADSL to Cable, you’ll have a new email address, however with this process you can keep your existing BigPond email address as an additional mailbox.

The additional mailbox will be set up at no cost to you, however any early termination charges, moving home charges or fees related to changing your service may apply.

I always recommend that you set-up your mail client, such as Microsoft Outlook, to download your emails and address book, including your all contacts, to your local machine via Post Office Protocol (“POP”). You can find our settings here for the instructions on how to do this. This should prevent you from losing all your emails, contacts and settings when we move your email address across to your new account.

While we make every effort to minimise the loss of emails you receive while your mailbox is being reassigned to the new account, it is possible that the mailbox will not accept incoming emails for a short period of time. During this time, you will not be able to access your mailbox.

It is also important to advise the consultant when you are organising your new BigPond service of any other BigPond email addresses that you’d like to retain. Otherwise any other associated email addresses will be lost, which includes any secondary mailboxes associated to the primary email address.

Lastly, while in the vast majority of cases we can arrange the BigPond email transfer/assignment successfully, there are a small number of cases where we are unable to attach the email address successfully. In these circumstances we will contact you to discuss your options further.

If you need to discuss anything else around our email retention process or to arrange the retention of your email address please call us on 13 22 00.

Hope that helps clarify our process and sing out if you have any questions or feedback.

CrowdSurfer

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Email Retention the good oil...

Is it also the case where customers can get back old email addresses that they owned in the past that they lost due to the rules in place previously?
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Maraket
Level 2: Rookie

By old ones depends what you mean, provided that they are @bigpond.com or @bigpond.net.au, they usually are recoverable, but only if they are under the same customer profile name, as it is one of the requirements.

Furthermore just to add to the previous one, it should be noted, whenever email retention is done it will disconnect the service the email being moved to was connected to if it was active, no if's or buts and it can't be reactivated like if its disconnected in error.

Not such an issue for ADSL as in theory it can be setup on a new account on the same day depending on when it was done, but for Mobile Broadband, it tends to be really inconvienient just because to get the service reactivated means either going to the local telstra store to get a new device and sign up to a new contract, or waiting for one to get sent out.

Thought i would let slip a few drops of wisdom

RoxyRoller
Level 1: Cadet

hi. i hope you check back real soon because i'm in dire need of some help.

my isp is now optus but i've retained my 3 bigpond.net.au email accounts [1 yr dialup service subscription].  my passwords have been reset.  i'm told that my incoming server is mail.bigpond.com and that  my outgoing is mail.optusnet.com.au.

i still cannot send or receive emails!  my test emails are lost in the ether.  i've tested my accounts and i'm not yet on the pop.live platform.

can you plse help me?

tia Smiley Happy

ps: i'm going to try ticking those boxes you recommended in that link you provided.  i'll let you know how i go Smiley Happy

pps: 2 days ago i spent 2 hours on the phone with tech support; i received several emails including those [to each of my accounts] from 'bigpond email retention' *laughing*.  how funny that they would deactivate my accounts then reactivate them and send me an email to those very same accounts letting me know what my new passwords were when i had no way of getting into my accounts to read them because they'd rendered my existing passwords redundant!

anyhoo...

RoxyRoller
Level 1: Cadet

it looks like ticking those boxes was a no-go Smiley Sad

i'm lost...

and i'm at a loss wondering how it is that bigpond could offer such a service without any info on its site or providing adequate tech support or advice or whatever!!!

in fact, the letter [snail mail] they sent me, it's like i'm a brand new customer having purchased from them a dialup internet service!!!  i've been with telstra for eons, since before they were even known as telstra, and with bigpond for a decade --- it was bigpond's lousy internet service that had me make the decision to quit, and it was on advice that i sign up for this damned email service and i can't get the damned thing to work!

pls help me...

PaulQ
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

HI RoxyReller,

Just circling back, albiet quite late, and I do apologise our FoH team haven't reached out to you, is this still a problem? If yes please send me a private message and I can investigate it for you.

Thanks so much and again sorry this wasn't picked up earlier.

CrowdSurfer

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit