cathy64
Level 4: Private Eye

Email setting

Answered

Hi, I am using Outlook 2010 on Windows10, how do you set up so that emails received or sent never get deleted after a certain period of time? This is for bigpond, hotmail and gmail Or if they are archived, where are they located? thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cathy64
Accepted Solution

Re: Email setting

Always very helpful info. Thank you very much. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Is your bigpond account set up in Outlook as a POP3 account or IMAP? IMAP is newer and has some great sync capabilities if you read the same email on more than one device - i.e. mobile phone and a PC at home.. 

To adjust email deletions after download, in Outlook go to File..  On the Info page select the account you want to configure, then click on Mailbox Settings On the Window that pops up, look at the Mail Settings options and adjust the Keep Mail Offline and there are a couple of other options you can experiment with.

But, with the recent Telstra/Bigpond mail server issues many people found out it is a great idea to keep important email on the server. You are better keeping a local copy of them and backing up  yourself.. Include them in data backups or as a standalone backup. Use a program like SafePSt to back them up automatically on a schedule, or something like SyncBack to copy them to another drive for safekeeping - also on a schedule..  What you do with your local copy is up to your own personal preference..

The location of your account data file can be found by going to Account Settings and looking at what is in the Data Files tab  - if you highlight it then click Open File Location, and you can see what files are there.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

By default outlook does not delete emails stored on the PC automatically. You have to manually delete the emails manually or set up a rule to automatically delete the emails. If you have set up outlook to use POP3 it does by default delete the copy on the server after 14 days. You can change the time by going to File > Info >  Account Settings > Email Account > More Settings > Advanced Tab. Remove tick from "Remove from server after.." to never delete messages from server. See image below.

To find out where archived emails are stored Go to File > Info > Mailbox Cleanup > Archive. The default storage location is shown at the bottom of the Archive dialogue box.

If you don't want to loose emails recommend you use POP3 on all devices and set to never delete from server. If you use IMAP although it is convenient as all emails are synchronized across devices it can result in all your emails being deleted on all devices and server if there is a fault on the server or on any of the devices that deletes the emails.

cathy64

Thank you. I think I am actually using the latest outlook Microsoft365, it did not say the outlook version, hence the image of your Email Account Settings is different to mine. I don't have More Settings >Advance tab. I tried to snip and copy and paste an image of my Account Settings, but it would not let me. How do you paste an image here?  How to set up POP3?

The bigpond, hotmail and gmail accounts i have they all come as IMAP/SMTP except hotmail (it says microsoft exchange...). I actually want to set up never to delete any emails.  Thanks.

cf4

To post an image first save the image as a file then upload image using thr picture icon

These are the settings for Telstra pop3 email. You can't convert an existing account to POP. You have to create a new one and use manual setup.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

This article shows how to setup GMAIL using POP3.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en

These are settings for Yahoo.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/homepage/pop-access-settings-instructions-yahoo-mail-sln4724.html

If you are using IMAP the only time emails get deleted is when you manually delete them or archive them  on one of your devices

cathy64
Accepted Solution

Always very helpful info. Thank you very much. 

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit