LL1000
Level 1: Cadet

Emails into outlook

Hi, I access my bigpond emails via two laptops. Laptop 1 is old and I am trying to migrate everything to Laptop 2. If I am looking for very old emails in Laptop 1 and accidentally 'send/receive' on Laptop 1 then all the emails in my inbox in Laptop 2 disappear. This is frustrating as I am then even more reliant on Laptop 1 to follow up/review old emails. How can I get all my old emails to come into Laptop 2 and never disappear (unless I actively delete them). I am using MS Outlook for my emails. Note, all the emails in my 'sent' box remain.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Emails into outlook

So, does this affect email accounts other than Telstra ones?

As you are using Outlook..  look at Exporting the emails from #1 as a pst file for each account..  then Importing the pst to #2..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

Also, are your email accounts set up as IMAP (Telstra recommended) or POP? 

The different methods behave differently:

To set up your Telstra Mail® manually you’ll need to know the server names and port numbers; this includes IMAP and POP configurations.

IMAP and POP both let you download emails to your phone, computer or tablet. The difference is: 

IMAP syncs your email with the email server. So anything you do to your emails – like reply, delete or mark as read – will be updated on all your devices;

POP doesn’t sync your email with the mail server. So anything you do to your email will only appear on that device.

You might want to consider which is most appropriate for how you use that email account..  Note that you can have both types of methods setup in the same instance of Outlook at the same time..

Info on how to set these up, is here..

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Sounds like you have the email account on Laptop 1 set to POP3 and to remove emails from server. To stop mail getting deleted on laptop 2 on Laptop 1 go into your account settings for Bigpond, go to more settings then go to the advanced tab. Make sure leave a copy on server is ticked and remove from server after xx days is not ticked.

Link below shows how to transfer emails between the two laptops.

Moving Outlook to a new Windows computer (slipstick.com)

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

You could Archive the emails that you want to save. There are various articles that explain how to do it. Here is a Microsoft one

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit