BJ120
Level 1: Cadet

Emails to my email server are being blocked

I have a Telstra nbn broadband over HFC and use an email provider on a website domain that I own.

For over six months I have not been able to access email (send/receive) when connected to the broadband service.

I am able to retrieve email when I connect my computer to my phone connected to the mobile network. This confirms that the broadband network is blocking my email traffic on my domain.

Can I please send my hosting details to someone so that they can put this domain (or that on my hosting provider onto the whitelist).

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Emails to my email server are being blocked

The type of problem that you are experiencing is usually caused by the settings on your mail server rather than by the Telstra network.

Do you have an ACL set up on your mail server that only allows connections from certain IP addresses (or conversely, blocks connections from certain IP addresses)?

Can you access your emails via the webmail interface of your account when connected to your home broadband?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
BJ120

Hi

Thanks for replying, what does ACL stand for. I have changed no setting within my hosting account and none in my outlook preferences on my home computer.

I can access emails via the webmail interface when connected to my home broadband account.

Note: I also have a separate Telstra 5G Wifi hotspot. When I connect my computer to this the emails work as normal.

The security setting for my home broadband is the lowest possible. I tried this to make sure it wasn't doing something unintended.

Jupiter

ACL is "Access Control List"

Which protocol are you using in Outlook (POP3, IMAP, Exchange)?

Which ports are you using?

If you click on the "Send/Receive error" in Outlook, what is the full error message that it gives you?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
BJ120

Sorry, clicked Accepted Solution accidentally.

ACL is "Access Control List":

i) There is no Access Control List in operation. There is no Site Blocking setting in the Telstra modem.

ii) Within the product setting available on the Telstra account setting website:

- Network Protection= Default, Default Setting selected

- Family Safety = Parental Controls, Off

Which protocol are you using in Outlook (POP3, IMAP, Exchange)?

ii) using POP3

Which ports are you using?

iii) Incoming: 995, Outgoing: 465

If you click on the "Send/Receive error" in Outlook, what is the full error message that it gives you?

Error, "Connection to the server failed or was dropped". Error code: -3253

Using Mac Outlook for Mac, (v16.16.27)

Jupiter

That seems to be a fairly common problem that pops up with Outlook for Mac worldwide.

Try changing your outgoing port to 587.

If you have a large number of items in your sent folder, that can sometimes cause the problem.

Also, if you are using Avast with the Mail Guard, try turning the Mail Guard off and restarting Outlook.

To be honest, there are many causes for that particular error and it may take a while to figure out the cuase.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit