Level 2: Rookie

Gmail account not sending to bigpond accounts

Answered

For the past 2 weeks, emails sent from my gmail account to a friend's  bigpond.com account haven't been appeared in that account.   The emails are very simple, generally about 2 - 10 lines, often without attachments or URLs.

My gmail account is accessed either on my XP laptop, or Samsung Galaxy 5 mobile or tablet.  Friend's  Bigpond.com account is accessed on a laptop running possibly Windows 7 (but not sure).  In neither case are we running on a network.  Both are on NBN FTTN.

I don't receive any "rejection", "delayed" etc notices in my Gmail account.   That is, the message appears to have been sent and delivered.  All other emails send and received from the gmail account appear to be in order.

Friend has checked his junk folder and nothing appears there. 

Tonight, I was able to duplicate something similar on my bigpond.com  account. 

First,in my Bigpond.com account,  I blocked my Gmail address.  Telstra webmail says that all emails sent from that address should now be in my junk folder.

Second, I send a email from Gmail to my Bigpond.com account

Third, I checked my Bigpond.com junk folder and nothing appeared.   It was sent at 21.41 and at 22.31, still hasn't appeared in my junk folder.

It's extremely frustrating, as Gmail is my main mail account.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Gmail account not sending to bigpond accounts

I've resolved the problem.   My friend (who is a luddite) brought his laptop around tonight, and I showed him how to check the blocked users in settings.

Sure enough, my email account was there, along with his University of Sydney supervisor's and about 6 others that should never have been blocked.  The uni supervisor was critical, as my friend had been waiting on urgent emails for the past 2 weeks prior to finishing his Masters.

Of course, the email addys are unblocked, and mine and his uni supervisor have been added to Safe Senders.  My Gmail emails are now going through to him.

However, despite what Telstra says, the emails from the blocked users were NOT being redirected to Junk.

So 2 questions for Telstra:: 

How come the email addys are being blocked with no warning?

Why weren't the emails directed into the Junk folder, as the Telstra site says will happen.  This could have been critical for my friend, as his Masters dissertation was due last Monday, and he didn't have his supervisor's emails that he needed (eventually, he picked them up from the Uni web server).

Not happy, Telstra.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

I've resolved the problem.   My friend (who is a luddite) brought his laptop around tonight, and I showed him how to check the blocked users in settings.

Sure enough, my email account was there, along with his University of Sydney supervisor's and about 6 others that should never have been blocked.  The uni supervisor was critical, as my friend had been waiting on urgent emails for the past 2 weeks prior to finishing his Masters.

Of course, the email addys are unblocked, and mine and his uni supervisor have been added to Safe Senders.  My Gmail emails are now going through to him.

However, despite what Telstra says, the emails from the blocked users were NOT being redirected to Junk.

So 2 questions for Telstra:: 

How come the email addys are being blocked with no warning?

Why weren't the emails directed into the Junk folder, as the Telstra site says will happen.  This could have been critical for my friend, as his Masters dissertation was due last Monday, and he didn't have his supervisor's emails that he needed (eventually, he picked them up from the Uni web server).

Not happy, Telstra.

View solution in original post

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Were the emails blocked in the email client on his laptop or in WEB Mail? Different email clients have different ways of handling blocked emails. They don't all send them to the junk folder. A person who not competent with using a computer can quite easily block emails without realizing what they have done.

Now I'm the luddite, because I don't understand the difference between "On your laptop" and "Webmail" - perhaps you could explain it.   Both when I created the issue on my laptop, and he fixed it on his, we:

. Signed into our Telstra account,

. Opened the Webmail link, 

. Opened Mail,

. Opened Settings

. Opened Blocked Addresses

Both Windows laptops are standalone, operating on NBN FTTN via wireless.  In my case, the wireless modem is Telstra's and I assume the same for him.

I've been an administrator on numerous small networks from the 1980s, including 3 Dept of Education school networks.  So when I see a statement that "Blocking an address will result in the emails going to Junk" I expect that to happen. 

Whilst my address being blocked wasn't critical, his Uni Sydney supervisor's was, because emails critical to the completion of his Masters weren't received.  That address was a standard Uni Sydney work address, mine was Gmail, and in both cases, the emails were simple text, perhaps with an attachment or URL.     

It would appear that both addresses were blocked about the same time, and in my case, we know it was around when area had a very large electrical storm. 

He said that there were half a dozen blocked addresses that he would never have blocked, another half dozen that he may have blocked, and the remainder he either blocked or didn't know what they were.  I noticed screens full of addresses.

Still not happy Telstra.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit