Dazaj
Level 2: Rookie

Gmail app issue

Hey peeps,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with the gmail app when connected to the telstra mail server, were you try and search for an email but it just times out. I use gmail app for all my other email accounts and I can search just fine through the app with them. But when I try search for an email on either of my telstra mail accounts it just times out.

Any help would be much appreciated as this has been an issue for some time now but I usually have worked around it but just scrolling till I find the email.

Always here to help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
33 REPLIES 33
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Gmail app issue

It’s probably worth comparing your Telstra Mail server settings to those recommended by Telstra.

Dazaj

Hey Dowser, I checked and I'm using all the specified settings on that page. The only thing I'm not sure is activated is the last setting it mentions, SMTP authentication. It doesn't show that setting anywhere in the settings window on the gmail app.

Always here to help.
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

it is more likely to be an issue with the Telstra/Bigpond mail server - it happens from time to time and not always system wide..

You can try increasing the server timeout value, which could help or reduce the incidence of that happening..

Are you using the IMAP or POP access? You can use both at the same time with Telstra email, and one might work better than the other (it varies)..  also use the correct incoming email server for your account - i.e. imap.telstra.com / pop.telstra.com   of for a bigpond account use imap.bigpond.com / pop.bigpond.com

Telstra recommend the IMAP way, but read up on how both types work and choose the one that suits you..

The gMail app is pretty good..  but the Telstra server issue does make it hard to manage emails from that account. I use the app on my mobile devices but also use an email client (Outlook is my choice but there are others) on my PC's/Laptops and I organise/manage/backup my email there...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

Not sure what you mean by SMTP authentication? Is that the Outgoing server requires authentication setting?

smtp.telstra.com / smtp.bigpond.com  works for both IMAP and POP versions..  I have one mobile device where the outgoing server will only work if I set it to port 25..  all the others I can set to the recommended port with no problem..  not sure why that happens, but I only use that device occasionally anyway..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Hello,

The gmail app does not use the Telstra mail server.

It is a data only app directly into gmail and is carrier non-specific, and quite independent of an external mail server.

Occasionally mine, in 5 different devices will keep searching, usually when using "All Inboxes".

Quickest fix is to reboot the phone.

It's just one of those unexplainable things.

If it becomes too frequent, uninstall the app, reboot, download a fresh app, reboot and set up.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Dowser

@Dazaj wrote:

Hey peeps,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with the gmail app when connected to the telstra mail server, where you try and search for an email but it just times out. I use gmail app for all my other email accounts and I can search just fine through the app with them. But when I try search for an email on either of my telstra mail accounts it just times out.

As a test, I just downloaded the Gmail app on my iPhone, entered my Telstra email address & password and it picked up all of the settings itself (using the default IMAP, which is the setting that Telstra recommended).

The inbox was then displayed and I searched for a particular word, and it found and displayed multiple instances in around 15 seconds.

So, from my experience the app and Telstra Mail server are both functioning.

You could consider deleting the app and reinstalling it as per my comments above, using only your Telstra Mail account, and see if you can replicate the search function working correctly.

NB: If you have the Gmail app currently configured using POP you may have to backup your emails first.

SteveW_52

'The gmail app does not use the Telstra mail server.'

Not exactly correct - if you have added the Telstra/Bigpond account to the GMail app on a device, then it does use the provided Telstra/Bigpond email server to get emails...

Stevo 52
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

It seemed logical to me that people use the gmail app just  for gmail accounts, and use generic email apps for non-gmail accounts.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Dowser

Yes, it’s just a case of commencing with:

Sign in > Add account > Other (IMAP)

then adding email address etc

SteveW_52

I know @Dowser  I am not the one with the problem, I have added 'other' emails to the GMail app, many times..  I was just pointing it out that it can be done and uses the 'other' server information..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Hey @ProfessorPhone   not sure logical is applied much in this modern era.. 

the gmail app is just any email client...  you can add all sorts of other email accounts to it - it is easy. The only one I ever seperate out are business Exchange accounts (I use Outlook for those) - usually because those are managed by the business, which leaves a web of policy conditions through the email app..

Stevo 52
Dowser

@SteveW_52 wrote:

I know @Dowser  I am not the one with the problem, I have added 'other' emails to the GMail app, many times..  I was just pointing it out that it can be done and uses the 'other' server information..

And I was just pointing out that I was in agreeance.

Dazaj

Hey SteveW_32,

Yes that is what I was referring to the the outgoing server requires authentication. But in the options on the Gmail app there is not setting to change this.

Always here to help.
Dazaj

@Dowser wrote:

@Dazaj wrote:

Hey peeps,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with the gmail app when connected to the telstra mail server, where you try and search for an email but it just times out. I use gmail app for all my other email accounts and I can search just fine through the app with them. But when I try search for an email on either of my telstra mail accounts it just times out.

As a test, I just downloaded the Gmail app on my iPhone, entered my Telstra email address & password and it picked up all of the settings itself (using the default IMAP, which is the setting that Telstra recommended).

The inbox was then displayed and I searched for a particular word, and it found and displayed multiple instances in around 15 seconds.

So, from my experience the app and Telstra Mail server are both functioning.

You could consider deleting the app and reinstalling it as per my comments above, using only your Telstra Mail account, and see if you can replicate the search function working correctly.

NB: If you have the Gmail app currently configured using POP you may have to backup your emails first.

I didn't uninstall and re install but I did delete the account with the issue then re created it and the problem persists. I may just change apps as this is my main email address. I might just use outlook. I would think uninstalling would help as the problem only occurs for the bigpond account and not any of my other accounts attached I even have my Hotmail email attached and I can search in that just fine.

Always here to help.
SteveW_52

No, it is not available for all types of email..  if it is not specifically there for an account, the generic 'Require sign-in' setting applies (that is the authentication) along with the Security type setting

Stevo 52
Dazaj

Update: I just tried unistalling and re installing the app which you really cannot do other an uninstalling the update and the app come pre installed. anyway I allso go rid of all the other emails and just had the main gmail email and the bigpond one. you know as I say that maybe I need to use the bigpond email server even tho I have been migrated to the telstra mail server?

Always here to help.
SteveW_52

I did suggest you try that, in an earlier reply to you..  it does work for some people (I think that during one of the telstra email outages, the 'migration' details got lost/corrupted)..

Stevo 52
Dowser

@Dazaj wrote:

Update: I just tried unistalling and re installing the app which you really cannot do other an uninstalling the update and the app come pre installed. anyway I allso go rid of all the other emails and just had the main gmail email and the bigpond one. you know as I say that maybe I need to use the bigpond email server even tho I have been migrated to the telstra mail server?

There is no separate Bigpond Mail server. All email accounts were migrated some time ago to the Telstra Mail server.

I did suggest:

“You could consider deleting the app and reinstalling it as per my comments above, using only your Telstra Mail account, and see if you can replicate the search function working correctly”.

- however you have also added a Gmail account, so we cannot compare the tests, which is unfortunate but your choice.

If the Gmail app is coming pre-installed that implies that you have an Android phone.

SteveW_52

The Telstra page with information about setting up email accounts states..

BigPond Email settings

Please note these settings are for older BigPond Email accounts.

Account type:

• Account type: POP3

Incoming server details:

• Incoming server address: mail.bigpond.com

• Incoming server port: 995

• Encrypted connection: SSL

Outgoing server details:

• Outgoing server address: mail.bigpond.com

• Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587

• Authentication: Yes

• Encrypted connection: With SSL encryption

Username & Password:

• User name: Your Telstra email address - ending in ‘@bigpond.com’, ‘@bigpond.net.au’ or ‘@telstra.com.’

• Password: Your Telstra email account password - REMEMBER it’s case sensitive.

I have bigpond account that will only work with the bigpond server details..   yes it is an older account and strangely I can use it with both IMAP and POP settings (I have both set up simultaneously on a single Outlook instance) and both versions work..  

Stevo 52
Dazaj

Yes I do have an Android phone it is a samsung galaxy note 10+ 5g. I know that everyone was migrated but It does mention in the link in your original post as follows:

BigPond Email settings

Please note these settings are for older BigPond Email accounts.

Account type:

• Account type: POP3
Always here to help.
Dazaj

sigh* this did not help. How ever it did at least just tell me it couldn't find anything not keep searching for ever and then com back timing out.

Always here to help.
SteveW_52

So perhaps the account itself is being accessed correctly by GMail?

Other than the search issue..  does the account work otherwise? i.e. if there is an email sent to it, can you download it and view/read it in GMail?

and if you use Webmail to access the account, can you see that same 'new' email there before you try in GMail?

Stevo 52
Dowser

I have an ancient bigpond email address.

It works fine using the IMAP settings using the Mail app on my iPhone, and also works fine using the Outlook and Gmail apps.

When one begins to set up an account for Telstra Mail using the Gmail app they encounter:

Sign in > Add account > Other (IMAP)

so it appears that the default (and supported?) connection is IMAP.

I you decide to replicate my test exactly as mentioned above, please let me know.

Dazaj

@SteveW_52 wrote:

So perhaps the account itself is being accessed correctly by GMail?

Other than the search issue..  does the account work otherwise? i.e. if there is an email sent to it, can you download it and view/read it in GMail?

and if you use Webmail to access the account, can you see that same 'new' email there before you try in GMail?

Yes all the other functions work just fine including any attachments. The only thing that doesn't work is the search function and it is sooo frustrating.  Trying to find an email takes for ever just scrolling.

Always here to help.
Dazaj

Hi Dowser,

Thats basically how I set up the email. I even did it manually to force it to connect via pop3 and still same issue.

Always here to help.
SteveW_52

If that is the case, it is not an account issue...

So the search issue is something within the GMail app itself...

Do you have any folder structure set up in that app? or in Webmail (that is the Telstra interface to your account)?  How many files approximately, would you have in the account? Are they all downloaded to GMail app when you try to search? Can you search OK in Webmail? It might be a rogue email or two that is stopping the search. I know from experience that that can happen - and can be hard to track down. A clue might be a date when you started noticing the problem.

If you are in the habit of keeping all your bigpond emails and not archiving them or saving them into a client somewhere else - that is not a safe practice and especially unsafe with Telstra/Bigpond accounts for many reasons (repeated server failures, Telstra looking to exit the email market being a couple of those). 

You have the POP method set up so that is good. You can have the POP method and the IMAP method set up for the same account in the GMail app at the same time (Telstra supports it). Just have different names for the two versions. One advantage of IMAP is the ability to down load a list of folders, if they are set up on the email account..

I would suggest that as you have the POP version working, leave that as it is and set up the IMAP version of the account and see if that behaves differently..  depending on how you have setup the POP version and your email account, you should not lose anything you already have.

Another option to help troubleshoot the problem is, if you have a device (PC maybe) that you can setup an email client on and then add the same email account into, retrieve your email and see if you can search in that email client?

Stevo 52
Dowser

@Dazaj wrote:

Hi Dowser,

Thats basically how I set up the email. I even did it manually to force it to connect via pop3 and still same issue.

Basically I disagree. You cannot compare what you did to my test unless you replicate the steps that I took exactly.

SteveW_52

Have you tried, once you have downloaded the emails from your account into the GMail app, to go offline (airplane mode?) and then try the search function with just what is in the app?

I have to admit, I don't handle/manage email the way you seem to, and keep minimal email on servers..  I have a folder structure in a client, that suits my needs and even with multiple accounts in the email client, it is easy to back-up, save and archive emails..  I lost a lot of email once through a server failure and will never make that mistake again!..

Stevo 52
Dazaj

I have a folder structure But I set that up in an old version of office outlook 2007 which was still using on my computer until recently. I believe I have stuffed up the setup of the email when I did a fresh install I was trying to get all my archived emails moved and when I did the fresh install I stuffed up. So I have recently decided to start using the in built windows 10 mail app which works fine but I'm unsure if it has the ability to add rules to send certain emails into the respective folders. In regards to your previous post Yes the search works fine when I go into the webmail, in fact it works fine in every other client I use other than Gmail. Even if I use the pre installed Samsung email client. I'll try setting up the imap version along side the pop one and see how that goes. I personally think I may need to archive all my old emails somewhere other than my pc maybe on the cloud or something then unistall the office 2007 and maybe just use the inbuilt windows mail app I think maybe the link between office 2007 and the webmail might be causing the issue. I believe I began to have the search issue after that fresh install of windows which was quite some time ago.

Always here to help.
Dazaj

Quote"Sign in > Add account > Other (IMAP)"

This is exactly how I set up my bigpond email account in Gmail. so I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say "unless you replicate the steps that I took exactly" as that is exactly what 
I did??

Always here to help.
SteveW_52

That is really confusing...  do you have a current folder structure in place now? Is there a folder structure in Webmail?

You are talking about old settings in Windows and and old version of Outlook?

The Windows 10 Mail app isn't a great client (IMO)  and quite limited..

Keeping all your email in the server is not a safe practice, far better in a good email client..  and you seem to have got it all a bit messed up, but I am not sure how best to fix it..  it seems to be a combination of things - retaining emails on the server and on a Telstra email server at that, no folder structure on the server (via Webmail) and possibly some corrupt emails in the mix as well..

Stevo 52
Dazaj

Currently on telstra's webmail server there is no folder structure only on my email client which is 2007 outlook. I think the outlook is working as an exchange server or something as all the folders I setup in office 2007 outlook appear on my gmail app and any other app I use. So I'm thinking maybe when I stuffed up how I connected to telstra mail after I did the refresh maybe It is restricting the search.

Always here to help.
SteveW_52

The GMail app is not connecting to your Outlook instance of the account, so the email server is set up with that same structure and GMail is seeing that..  and perhaps Webmail to? What type of account have you set up in Outlook - is it IMAP or POP?

You should have all instances of the email account that you use (i.e not just testing with) set to the same type..  i.e. IMAP..

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit