Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hacked emAIL ACCOUNT

I am getting lots of return emails "not known at this address" from places and people I know I have not emailed. All arrive at the same time IE 4.11 AM when I am fast asleep. So it appears my email account is hacked and being used to send junk mail out to addresses not in my address book. The return address is my main Bigpond account. I am not sure now if it is the PC the mobile phone or Tablet or if it now even matters which is or is not turned on. Any ideas how to stop this? Is it likely to be on one of my devices or is it now out of my control and would continue regardless of whether I have any of them turned on or not?

Thank for any advice

Ralph

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: Hacked emAIL ACCOUNT

I would change all your passwords and then check all your devices with a good antivirus. There is a chance that someone is using your email address in the return field however many mail servers these days reject mail sent this way. The only way to be sure where the email is originating from is to get a hold of mail headers of one of those rejected emails.

The following link provides details on how to view mail headers. http://whatismyipaddress.com/email-header

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Thank you I have gone and done that already, and see how it goes.Can this still happen even though all devices are turned off. I am assuming YES so long as the originating sender has the password.. The included text changes with each eamail, some with a link some just short meaningless text. I will see if I can get the header details shortly.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Yes anyone with your username and password can send email using your account.  Also take a look in your mail options in webmail to make sure they aren’t forwarding mail to themselves.

mail-hacker.jpg

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

yeah i had tacebook cause eing lazy i miscalculate my data sometimes and various plans i have no idea but thts behind 7 11 here and maccs for lease sction hacked i thought that was a helicopter tronSUNP0245.JPG

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit