nikib3
Level 2: Rookie

Has anyone found a solution for Mac Mail not receiving emails since Telstra's change to Servers?

Answered

Hi one and all. I'm hoping somebody here has found the solution to my problem.

I have 3 separate email addresses with my BigPond account, all for different purposes. My main email address stopped receiving emails to Mac Mail on the 3rd December. I contacted Telstra and a very helpful lady told me that Telstra was migrating to another server and she changed the settings for the relevant email address. This appeared to fix the problem. >2000 emails were instantly downloaded, then they stopped coming.

I called the next day and the email setting was reverted back to the pop3.live.com setting and again, it seemd to fix the problem. >1500 emails instantly downloaded, then it stopped functioning.

I then called and asked for all emails for this email address be forwarded to one of my other email accounts, which worked beautifully, until late Friday afternoon. This address is also now not receiving mail to my Mac Mail. 

This now means of course that my one remaining email address with BigPond will obviously, as some stage, some functioning too which will be massively inconveneint.

The Apple Mail function is brilliant as you have instant access to all mail. I also have several folders in my Mac Mail so I need to be able to keep this system.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem? It seems that pop3.live.com and pop3-mail.outlook.com do not connect with Mac Mail. 

I also discussed this with the Apple technical support and they assured me that the issue is not with Apple/Mac but is a server issue between Microsoft and Telstra. 

I know from reading other comments, that others have experienced the same issue, but I haven't found a solution. 

Can anyone help? I would be very grateful if a solution could be shared.

Thanks and cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nikib3
Accepted Solution

Re: Has anyone found a solution for Mac Mail not receiving emails since Telstra's change to Servers?

Hi Shelly, quick update.

I hesitate to say this (Murphy's Law), but everything SEEMS to be working again now. The mail load time is back to normal. Took most of yesterday to settle down, but it seems fine now.

I would like to point out something though. I have spoken with at least 4 Tech Support people since 3rd December in relation to this. All had remote access and played around with the settings. NONE of them appeared to be aware the POP setting was wrong and that they should have been re-setting to IMAP.

Though they were all very friendly and helpful, I feel that this lack of knowledge needs to be addressed. If they had been aware that Outlook requires IMAP, not POP, I would have been saved 12 days of absolute frustration. As it was, it was your response to this comment here that gave me the solution.

You may want to bring this up with the relevant people in Telstra. 

However, I would like to thank YOU, for providing me with the solution. Very much appreciated.

Have a great day.  

Cheers

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Has anyone found a solution for Mac Mail not receiving emails since Telstra's change to Servers?

Hi nikib3,

The settings that are needed to access Outlook.com can be found via: https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary. Please note that while TLS is the preferred options, some email programs may require SSL or Auto to be selected instead

If you need to stay with the POP server type, this needs to be enabled on each account via the webmail which can be accessed via http://live.com

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

nikib3

Hi Shelley, many thanks for that suggestion. I've just got back home, so shall follow your instructions in a little while. Hopefully, this will resolve the situation.

Many thanks and cheers

nikib3

Hi Shelley, just letting you know that everything APPEARS to be working. I say that with fingers crossed, as each time settings were changed, mail would be dumped and then cease to work. 

However, I've changed the settings to IMAP and all seems well.  It took some time before emails downloaded and I thought that there was still a problem, but so far so good.

Many, many thanks for this simple solution.

Cheers

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update!

If things continue to work fine, please mark the post as Solved as it may help others experiencing the same issues.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

nikib3

Hi Shelly, unfortunately there are still issues. I changed the settings from POP to IMAP, and it took a very long time before there was any sign of something happening. Then >4000 emails were downloaded, over the two relevant addresses.

To speed things up, I decided to delete a lot of the emails in Outlook. Not sure if this had any effect or not.

IMAP is supposed to be better than POP but my experience so far does not fill me with confidence. It seems very erratic. Sometimes mail gets downloaded quickly, other times the wheel just spins for ages. 

Just now, the mail was trying to download another 4K mail, which are non existent in Outlook. Not sure what is going on, but it is very frustrating. 

Do you have any suggestions for settings that may need to be tweaked. It just seems to be very unstable. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steph
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Nikib3

We'll get Shelly (or one of the other wonderful Techies) to take a look at your post in the morning. 

nikib3
Accepted Solution

Hi Shelly, quick update.

I hesitate to say this (Murphy's Law), but everything SEEMS to be working again now. The mail load time is back to normal. Took most of yesterday to settle down, but it seems fine now.

I would like to point out something though. I have spoken with at least 4 Tech Support people since 3rd December in relation to this. All had remote access and played around with the settings. NONE of them appeared to be aware the POP setting was wrong and that they should have been re-setting to IMAP.

Though they were all very friendly and helpful, I feel that this lack of knowledge needs to be addressed. If they had been aware that Outlook requires IMAP, not POP, I would have been saved 12 days of absolute frustration. As it was, it was your response to this comment here that gave me the solution.

You may want to bring this up with the relevant people in Telstra. 

However, I would like to thank YOU, for providing me with the solution. Very much appreciated.

Have a great day.  

Cheers

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit