Level 2: Rookie

HELP !!! Bigpond emails downloading ALL history

HELP

For weeks now, when I attempt to receive my Bigpond emails (using MS Outloook), the server attempts to send me ALL the history of kept emails on the server.

This seemd to coincide with the Telstra email server problems that have occurred/ are occurring.

I have tried various means to overcome this, including downloading all the history, clicking 'delet after deleting message on client' etc. etc.  

I have no control over this, as I did NOT change any settings on my Outlook client before this started.

Whatever I do makes no difference !

Can anyone/Telstra please help me resolve this ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 21: Augmented

Re: HELP !!! Bigpond emails downloading ALL history

it sounds like the downloaded emails are not being deleted as they should, not sure why but after all the recent problems with Telstra/Bigpond email, my guess is the server is still being worked on etc.

If you log in through Webmail, you could try deleting the emails in question directly in there. Make sure you delete them from Trash/Deleted as well. At least you have copies in Outlook now so it is safe to delete them from the server..  once they are gone from the server, they can't download again?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 2: Rookie

This happened to me a few weeks ago, I eventually let all 2000 download to outlook 2007 and then deleted them. It didn’t down load them again.

I use Firefox and now cannot get into Webmail, just 3 pulsating lines, but can log in using Google and IE . I logged in a d then deleted them all from the Telstra site. I changed on Outlook to only leave on the server for 14 days , I previously had 6 months, that has stopped a build up on Webmail should it happen again .

Today’s email from Telstra about their problems doesn’t explain why Firefox doesn’t work but other Web browsers do. 

Level 21: Augmented

Telstra sites/pages are a bit funny with other browsers - usually Chrome and IE are fine, but others like Brave (Chromium based), the new Edge (Chromium based) and Firefox don't always explain everything. I use Brave and while it does everything else it won't bring up the Chat window, so I use Chrome in those cases..  I haven't bothered to trouble the Codi cave as to why that is the case..  I am guessing not enough testing or not enough care..

I never got the Telstra email, because my Bigpond/Telstra email accounts were unaffected - I use Outlook as a client anyway, and the emails are deleted after download - I just keep my own local copy which is backed up AND duplicated by local apps on my PC's

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit