Level 2: Rookie

Help - imap emails lost

Answered

I converted (compulsory) from POP to Imap around 12months ago which was fine - UNTIL -

a month ago all of the emails in my inbox where deleted by Telstra - after a month today they have 'resolved' and closed my complaint - as there is nothing they can do.

My problem is that imap emails are stored on the server (which Telstra do not back up - wtf) so if they delete my inbox again - all of emails are lost again.  

I asked for Tech support - they put me onto a guy who set up and imap account (which i already have!!!)  

What i need help with - is how do i download my imap emails onto my mac - so that I can  back them up?? (POP used to download off server) 

How do i get Tech support from Telstra - from someone who knows at least more than I do??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Help - imap emails lost

You can run your account on imap and pop across multiple devices. If you delete the IMAP account on your Mac, when you add the POP account any emails on the server will come down. When you set up the pop account make sure that you leave it so that it leave emails on the server. If you'd like to speak with someone from Telstra Platinum you can find out more about us at https://www.telstra.com.au/platinum-technical-support
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7

If you prefer to use POP settings, you can find setup steps to common email clients here. On you mac you can make local folders to move your emails to so that they are stored locally within Mac Mail and not on the server.

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

• Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

Hi thanks for the response. Can i continue to run other devices on Imap - and put pop on my Mac?
If i change the settings for the account on Mac (will it delete everything i have on there now) - or should i add a new account (same email) and add it as a pop account (receive emails twice). How do I call someone like you?
Accepted Solution

You can run your account on imap and pop across multiple devices. If you delete the IMAP account on your Mac, when you add the POP account any emails on the server will come down. When you set up the pop account make sure that you leave it so that it leave emails on the server. If you'd like to speak with someone from Telstra Platinum you can find out more about us at https://www.telstra.com.au/platinum-technical-support

View solution in original post

Thanks for the response.
After a month i guess i will have to pay for premium support but feel a bit miffed when it was Telstra who lost the emails - offered me $20 rebate - maybe tech assistance would be more worthwhile.

PS - Why does Telstra run a webbased platform - that they don't back up?
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It is not a business grade system. It is just a very basic email system, which is targeted for people who don't use it for anything overly important. Plus to backup that sort of volume of emails would cost a fortune.

I have my own hosted account elsewhere, which is a business grade system, and even there you can only keep a certain amount of mail on the server. you are required to store it on your own system if you want to keep it long term.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

yes thanks, i will have to explore other options and move my email and all account information, because I am done. Telstra is just so frustrating because you have to find everything out the hard way, and its so hard to get any information out of them.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit