BussoPete
Level 1: Cadet

hotmail account not sending to bigpond accounts

Hi ,

I am sending emails from a hotmail account. The emails to bigpond accounts are bouncing back. This has just started happening over the past 2 weeks.

Kylie

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
65 REPLIES 65
DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: hotmail account not sending to bigpond accounts

Hey BussoPate,

I can appreciate your concerns with these emails not getting through and do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused Smiley Sad Is there any reason being provided as to why these emails are getting bounced back to you? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

BussoPete

It just says message has been delayed
DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

This is a little beyond what I am able to assist with sorry Kylie, so I will have to assign this to our techs to assist further. They will be able to address this thread further later today or early this week. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi BussoPete,

Do these emails you're sending out contain shortened URL's?

Emails sent to or from BigPond accounts, may be blocked if they contain links using certain URL shorteners and affected emails will be rejected and receive a bounceback message.

You can find more information about this on the following page:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Bigpond-Email-Inc-Windows-Live/Why-is-my-email-being-blacklist...

BussoPete

No they are just a regular email. This has only just started it is to all bigpond accounts that I send to.
Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Can you test this by sending a text-only / plain text email (no HTML) to see if it goes through?

Shooter8376

Having the same issue as above. For two weeks my hotmail keeps getting bouncebacks from bigpond.com email addresses.

The bounceback message does not come through straight away however. The message comes through a day or two later which means you are unaware for that time that it has been rejected.

BussoPete

Tried that and it doesn’t make any difference. The below comment says the message doesn’t appear straight away this is the same for me. Very annoying
Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for trying that BussoPete,

Are you able to provide us with an exact  copy of the ‘delay’ bounce and the ‘final bounce’ email?  That would help us tracking down the issue.

MdBee
Level 2: Rookie

So I have the same problem over the last two-three weeks as well - but I'm sending from an outlook.com address. About a third of my messages get through no problem. The rest get a 'delayed' response, and of those more than half are ultimately bounced. Interestingly, the errors are being sent via postmaster@hotmail.com - which suggests that hotmail.com and outlook.com are still tangled somehow. All failures have been attachment- and URL-free, some with html, some without, usually replying to a bigpond message.

The most recent failure I had was this morning, from a send on Tuesday morning (10:12am) , it was delayed Tuesday evening. The entire messages are below (sans headers):

= = = = = 

Tue 7/11/2017 10:14 PM

Subject: Delivery delayed: xxxxxxx

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

calaXXXX@bigpond.com

= = = = = = 

(Note: 12hrs after sending) and it failed this morning (48hrs after sending):

= = = = = = 

Thu 9/11/2017 10:14 AM

(via) postmaster@mail.hotmail.com

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.

calaXXXX@bigpond.com

= = == = = 

This is amazingly annoying and limiting for several businesses I deal with through bigpond. No other email provider is causing me grief. Hope you can nail this down. I see similar errors being mentioned across the crowdsupport site this last week.

Cheers,

MdBee

Carl501

I have also had the same problem and it is becoming increasingly frustrating. You can't expect that all our emails must never contain URL's? It is generally expected that people will have a genuine need to include a URL or attach Link to an email address and/or attach a couple of documents to an email. They should not be rejected just because they are included. There is something not right about this whole issue.

Carl501

Ditto ... Exactly the same as the issues I'm having (thanks for posting this, it saved me some time explains it)

cheers,

Carl

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Carl501, 

Apologies for the misunderstanding concerning URL's.  In that post I did say emails 'may be blocked if they contain links using certain URL shorteners', not all URL's.  Please have a read through the CrowdSupport page Why-is-my-email-being-blacklisted for further information about why this may happen.

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi MdBee, 

I've had our PostMaster take a look at this and can confirm that we're not fire-walling Hotmail.com or Outlook.com and if we were rejecting these emails our system would have sent back an error message containing a 4xx or 5x code, which can't be seen in the details you've provided.

It's very hard to determine with the info provided but it sounds like the error could be on Hotmail's side rather than BigPond's side.

MdBee

Hi Kenobi

Thanks for looking into it. Clearly I'm not alone with this. I used to run mailservers, and have seen many errors, so agree - I too would have expected a proper error code and some better diagnostics. However, this is all we (as users) are getting back. I literally pasted the entire email bounces above. Perhaps hotmail/outlook are somehow simplifying the messages, proxying whatever error they are seeing into something "user-friendly", which is also why it appears to come to postmaster@hotmail.com.

However, this error only seems to be happening for bigpond.com addresses - it's literally in the wire between the two of you, and all appearances are that bigpond are blocking/delaying/rejecting/confusing/futzing-around-with hotmail/outlook.com's messages, rather than hotmail/outlook arbitrarily creating errors. Otherwise I'd expect a proper error code from *their* servers.

I know Telstra have a close relationship with MS/outlook.com, can you somehow identify a contact there and somehow either share it or pursue it with them?

I could also send you the exact times and to/from addresses for your postmaster to check in the logs, if that might help?

Thank you!

Cheers,

MdBee

Jenkins215

Hi Bussopete. I've had the same problem for the past 2 weeks ... have you had any response as to why this is having? Thanks

Jenkins215

I have been having the same problem for 2 weeks. No problems with any other accounts only Bigpond. Has a reason and/or solution been found yet??

Jenkins215

PLEASE has anyone found a solution as yet??? First is the message per the example below followed by a message saying the emails did not go through ... Telstra are denying there is a problem.

Delivery delayed:YOUR SUPPORT IS NEEDED: Remount Park, Holsworthy

P
postmaster@mail.hotmail.com
Reply|
Fri 10/11/2017 6:09 AM

To:
<removed email addresses>

<removed email addresses> 

*edited due to guidelines*

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jenkins215,

I've removed the email addresses that you posted to protect the owners privacy.  As mentioned above Telstra/BigPond is not blocking the Hotmail and the error message you've provided doesn't have enough details to be able to determine why these emails are being delayed.

In the error message you've posted has provided a contact email address for the Hotmail postmaster. Please contact them as they may be able to trace the issue from thier end.

JaLi

Hi,

It's been happening to me for the past fortnight too.

Just sending simple text messages from my hotmail to bigpond accounts.

I get a delayed message after about 24 hours, then in the next day or two a message that it can't be delivered.

After seeing I'm not the only one, I hope that Telstra is coming up with a solution.

This is the delayed message:

[then inserts email address]

juliesydney

I have also developed terrible problems with my bigpond acccount starting about 2 weeks ago. Before then there was no problem for 5 years.

I always send emails from my hotmail email address on my ipad (set up as my default email on my ipad) to my bigpond account which is on my desktop. Those emails contain website URLS that I am forwarding to my bigpond account for future reference (e.g. important articles or links to a new job from the SEEK website, things like that which I come across while surfing the web.)

2 weeks ago [after YEARS of there being NO problems] almost every email I send from my hotmail account to my bigpond account gets returned with messages like:

Undeliverable - Delivery to the following recipients failed xxxx@bigpond.com.   Action failed Status 5.5.0. Message content rejected due to suspected spam

Undeliverable Status 4.4.7  Action Failed.

Delivery Delayed Status 4.4.7 Will Retry until Sunday 19 November 2017

The emails I send that get rejected all have URLS posted as the subject content. i.e. I am sending URLS from my hotmail account to my bigpond account for future reference. Many people do this. 

I believe that Telstra did something to their SPAM filtering service 2-3 weeks ago so that hotmail account addresses containing website URLS are being caught by their SPAM service and blocked. This is crazy as most people have hotmail accounts as well and will be sending things to their bigpond email address.

I called Telstra technical support and got their Phillipine call centre. They were useless.

Telstra please do something about your SPAM filtering on your bigpond email accounts so that emails from hotmail accounts containing URLs can get through!!!

Julie

juliesydney

If the powers that be at Telstra think we are not going to email URLS from our Hotmail Account to our Bigpond account that's crazy. Many people email website links for future use e.g. links to jobs from SEEK, articles of interest etc to their bigpond account. We must be able to do this or the Bigpond email account becomes useless.

I'm not talking about shortened URLS being rejected. I am talking about almost ALL hotmail emails containing URL's of any kind being rejected when you try and send those emails to bigpond accounts. I'm at my wits end. 

This problem started 2 weeks ago after 5 years of there being no problem so Telstra did something to their SPAM filtering for Bigpond accounts a couple of weeks ago that was directed at hotmail email addresses.

I understand that they want to reduce spam - a worthy goal - but whatever they did was overkill and is catching almost all legitimate emails from hotmail accounts. 

MadJ

Emails to my BigPond keep getting rejected

For the last few weeks if I send emails from my Hotmail account to my BigPond emails address or other family email addresses, they are unable to be sent.

The latest get this rejected message.  

Final-Recipient

rfc822 (email adresss)

Action: Delayed

Will Retry Until .........

And the emails are never received.

What is going on?

MadJ

Right so this is exactly my problem I posted about earlier.  Been reading through all the comments but not seeing a solution.  Hope if enough people mention it, it will get sorted.

LeeV18

Ive also had the same issue recently. I  was sending to three bigpond emails at once. getting the delayed email notification back, and now the undeliverable.

Have worked out though, I can send to those bigpond emails individually? Weird.

Also only happening in the last two weeks, and never ever before has this happened?

Come on Telstra, help us out here!

Vh2600

I'm also having exactly same issues sending emails from hotmail account to bigpond accounts. Delivery delayed messages followed by failure messages. Exactly as described above. Been going on now for last 3-4weeks. Prior to that no problem.

Extremely frustrating and wasting valuable time with resending messages that may or may not end up being delivered. Not to mention being unable to achieve my obligations to my volunteer organisation.

Lastest failure message (this is all I get):

Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxx.xxx@bigpond.net.au
Action: failed

Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxxxxx@bigpond.net.au
Action: failed
>>>>>

I've tried all suggestions above but problem still persists. Can Telstra pleeease help!!!
Peeetr

Yes, same problem here. How about a fix Telstra ....

Gemmasmum

I am having exactly the same problem as those already mentioned.  I finally got an email to go through on Monday but my reply to confirm the recipient had received same bounced back again this morning.  Just adding my two cents to this list in the hopes something gets done about it.  

Wendy999

I'm having the same problem as well over the same number of weeks

messages from my Hotmail email to 2 different bigpond recipients are being bounced back.

Initially it was the minority of messages (maybe 30%), now I would say it is the majority (maybe 70%).

Sometimes they eventually get through - on one occasion I was WITH the person who received the email I had sent them days prior - I saw it drop in their mailbox !

I get a lot of bounceback messages, different text, some saying the email failed completely

Wendy999

hello Telstra

I am having this problem to multiple different bigpond email accounts ... even from my own Hotmail email to my OWN bigpond email. happy to assist with testing or providing any additional information to resolve this problem ...

grechsteve

HI

I have been having the same issue in recent weeks.

When I send out an email with about 50 addressees, from the hotmail account..all the bigpond recipient emails are failing..including to my own bigpond.com account. All the other recipients are receiving the emails, but not the bigpond recipient.

I am receiving the same Delayed alerts, and then subsequent Failure notices as described by other posters.

This is a recent occurrence, multiple occasions, that has been happening in recent weeks.

Surely there must be an issue at bigpond

Cheers

Steve

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All, 

We remain focused on protecting our customers from phishing and spam emails. 

We've checked this issue again and can now confirm that several of the Hotmail mail servers are on RBL and DBL blacklists, which means that a large amount of spam has been seen coming from these Hotmail servers. Unfortunately, this also means that legitimate emails which are being sent from those mail server are also being affected by this. 

The bounced error messages you would've received should provide a contact email address for the Hotmail postmaster. Please contact them as they may be able to trace the issue from their end.

rigdav
Level 3: Gumshoe

So for weeks Telstra insist it is not them blocking Hotmail emails, but then of course someone actually looks into it instead of issuing the standard denial of responsibility and lo and behold, it is Telstra doing the blocking.  For weeks now my daughter in London has been having exactly this issue, with emails from her Hotmail to my bigpond address often being bounced as described in previous posts.  On the rare occasions that they get through, their receipt is delayed by up to almost 24 hours.  She has started sending emails to both my iinet and bigpond email addresses and emails to iinet always get through fine and promptly.  I am lucky to have the option for her of a different and more reliable ISP.

She uses a normal @hotmail.com email address account - ie their usual email server.  The last post says that "several of the Hotmail mail servers" are on blacklists.  I did not know that Hotmail had more than one server, but regardless it is Telstra who should be proactive in liaising with Hotmail to resolve the problem, not try and duck-shove their responsibilities by exhorting individuals to try and solve the problem by contacting the postmaster at Hotmail (and good luck with that by the way!)

How Telstra can conceivably be blocking such a large volume of Hotmail emails is beyond me.  Presumably all ISPs use the same blacklists, but as mentioned this problem is limited (as far as I know and from my experience) only to bigpond and iinet seemingly have no such blocking in force.  The actual number of bigpond users affected by this must be huge.  Most do not know of or access Crowdsupport, and many would not even know that emails to them are being blocked, as it is only the Hotmail sender who receives a notification of any problem, since Telstra unfortunately does not deem it appropriate to let its customers know that it is blocking such mail.  Of course we all want spam blocked as much as reasonably possible, but not at the expense of so many obviously legitimate emails being caught in the process.  Telstra should properly investigate their actions that have started (only of recent weeks it appears) to block so many Hotmail emails, liaise with Hotmail on behalf of its customers as necessary and appropriate and address and resolve the issues.  

grechsteve

And so this is the response from Hotmail / Outlook

So basically neither Bigpond or Hotmail give a stuff, They both blame the other, and neither will do anything.

Outlook Support 
November 24, 2017, 15:31 +0000 
Thank you for keeping us posted. I have read through the message of BigPond that they have sent to you. If BigPond has blocked our server, I am afraid that we don’t have control how their security system works unless they can provide us any details that we can do on our part to remove our server from their own blacklist. There are various sources where we can check if our servers are on the blacklist for multiple service provider. I have checked our server and so far there are no reports that we have been black listed unless a particular server provider has prevented us from communicating with them.

We take account security very seriously and we are proactive when it comes to illegal activities which violates our policies for email usage.

Warm Regards,
CherryAnn T., Outlook.com
fedupANDannoyed

okay so it seems we have got to the bottom of the problem AT LAST.  Now come on tech guys get it sorted!!  Enough of the BS buck passing and vague answers.  We hotmail and bigpond customers are fed up ad deserve better

juliesydney

Quote:

I did not know that Hotmail had more than one server, but regardless it is Telstra who should be proactive in liaising with Hotmail to resolve the problem, not try and duck-shove their responsibilities by exhorting individuals to try and solve the problem by contacting the postmaster at Hotmail (and good luck with that by the way!)

How Telstra can conceivably be blocking such a large volume of Hotmail emails is beyond me. Presumably all ISPs use the same blacklists, but as mentioned this problem is limited (as far as I know and from my experience) only to bigpond and iinet seemingly have no such blocking in force. The actual number of bigpond users affected by this must be huge. Most do not know of or access Crowdsupport, and many would not even know that emails to them are being blocked, as it is only the Hotmail sender who receives a notification of any problem, since Telstra unfortunately does not deem it appropriate to let its customers know that it is blocking such mail. Of course we all want spam blocked as much as reasonably possible, but not at the expense of so many obviously legitimate emails being caught in the process. Telstra should properly investigate their actions that have started (only of recent weeks it appears) to block so many Hotmail emails, liaise with Hotmail on behalf of its customers as necessary and appropriate and address and resolve the issues.

--------------

As you quite rightly point out it is for Telstra to solve this problem as they have created it and have resources we do not.

I send email from my hotmail to a whole bunch of other email addresses and they get through. Only ones sent to bigpond are a problem. Other email providers also have SPAM problems but have clearly found a way to deal with them other than by blocking most hotmail emails.

Not good enough Telstra. You have to do better than this. Plus the problem only started 3 weeks ago. Telstra needs to rexamine what they did 3 weeks ago to their SPAM filter and undo it so we can have full use of our bigpond email accounts again. 

grechsteve

I sent the link of this thread discussion to Outlook/Hotmail so they could see . This is their response

Outlook Support 
November 27, 2017, 15:38 +0000 
Thank you for getting back to us. I hope you are doing well today.

I am continuously communicating with our team to check if there are reports that have been seen wherein Telstra/Bigpond is blocking all our emails to see what we can do from our end.

Thank you for understanding and have a great day.

Warm Regards,
missedtheturn

another one with the same inability to send a newsletter to bigpond emails, when all other emails receive it. Hope Telstra can find a solution.

I will monitor this thread until a resolution is found.

TB_1

Hi Crowd support,  I have dozens of clients and friends who are not getting my emails when I send them from my outlook.com address.

They all appear to be rejecting!

These are some of the reject messages:

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.

followed by

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

For my clients, I am incurring a financial loss. I would like to know how I can recoup this.

For my family and friends you are putting me in extreme mental anguish as you have cut off one of my keys methods of communication.

As part of the communications act, I would have thought that you are not allowed to interfere in communications in this way.  You are a communications carriage service of some sort are you not?   If something is broken, it's your responsibility to fix it, fast.  you are interfering with people communication.

Would you like a class action instead?

We all need you to start addressing this issue.  People who do not have bigpond email accounts have no way to tell you you have a problem.  People with bigpond account don't even know you are not delivering their emails.

Toni.

grechsteve

Hi

A further response from Outlook/Hotmail attached.

Telstra ...where are you..you have gone silent on this issue..JUST FIX IT !!!!!!

Outlook Support 
November 28, 2017, 14:32 +0000 
Thank you for your patience while we were investigating on the issue we are having when sending emails to BigPond recipient.

We reviewed the non-delivery message you have shared to us. Since Bigpond/Telstra has blocked the Hotmail.com domain which prevent us from sending emails to any BigPond/Telstra users. I am afraid that this is beyond our control and our best option is to contact Bigpond/Telstra support, and request to remove Hotmail.com domain from their blacklist.

Thank you for understanding.

Warm Regards,

Boyden

I too have been experiencing this problem with my Hotmail emails not being delivered to bigpond email addresses. It is very frustrating. Have phoned the tech team who tried but in the end offered the Platinum Service at my expense. Seriously? Bigpond should be fixing this problem as it is obviously happened to everyone three or four of weeks ago.

KathleenC
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello Boyden

Are you able to receive your Bigpond emails?.

If you are your emails are working an it could be a forwarding issue from Hotmail can you still see them in Hotmail?.

grechs

Kathleen..as per earlier discussion in this thread , Telstra has already admitted to being the source of the problem, but have not shown any interest in fixing the problem.

As both a Bigpond customer (home) and a Hotmail customer(Secretary of large service club, I am testing this daily. Our club membership base is about 20% Bigpond users and they are not getting club emails from Hotmail

All emails from Hotmail to Bigpond are bouncing. It is not a Hotmail issue, it is a Bigpond issue.

I am in the process of lodging a complaint with the Communication Ombudsman as there has not been an ounce of interest shown by Telstra to fix, or even liaise with Hotmail.

Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Hi grechs,

I'm sorry to read that this has been such a cause of concern for you, that's not good at all. 

If you haven't already done so I would suggest placing a formal complaint through us, more on that here Lodging a complaint with Telstra

Angela 

Carl501

This issue is still unresolved. Everything Telstra Bigpond support has told me and the advice given to me has not resolved this issue. I've had enough of this BS from Telstra Bigpond. My computer is clean (no viruses, no spam or no malware detected by Windows Defender or AVG Pro). My IP Addresses are not Blocked (they are not listed in SORBS, Spamhaus or any other spam blacklist site). There are more and more Bigpond users starting to realise that something changed about 4 or 5 weeks ago, which not only stops the spam they were getting before but is also now preventing or delaying genuine (important) emails from being delivered to them.

This needs to be resolved now (if it is not resolved within the next 7 days I am going to bring it to the attention of the 'Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman' (https://www.tio.com.au/).

I have asked the following question twice (in a private email to Telstra Bigpond Support), and both times they responded to my email but did not give me an answer to this question:

Why is it that only the emails I send to people with Bigpond accounts are being delayed by 12 to 24 hours or fail to deliver at all?

If there was anything suspicious or not right about my hardware, software, IP addresses or anything else that I am doing at my end, then you would expect that sometimes the emails I send to other people using other email services (not use Bigpond) would occasionally fail as well. But no, this never happens with the any other email address ONLY EMAILS TO BIGPOND EMAIL ADDRESSES have an issue.

Telstra Bigpond please fix or undo what ever you did to create this problem, because it has created more problems than before.

TB_1

I have lodged a complaint with reference to this thread.

I will pursue TIO if the outcome has not been achieved.

This is ridiculous.

Cheers Toni

TB_1

Oh and Angela, there isn't really a way to say you have an email problem.

But thanks for the link regardless.

TB_1

Hey Grechs, are you able to get outlook support to send you the full reject message rather than the watered down one you get in outlook?
grechs

I will ask them

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit