darylive
Level 1: Cadet

How do I change my email password. There is no 'Password' option in personal details

Contrary to the advice given here there is no 'Password' option in the personal details section;
Only email address and phone numbers.

The only option Telstra offers is to send an email which is useless if you cannot sign into email. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: How do I change my email password. There is no 'Password' option in personal details

It has been a while since I changed a Telstra/Bigpond password, but I just had a look at all the places where it it used to be possible, including the My Account and Webmail login page (where you had the option to reset your password), and they all seem to lead to the email only option which I agree that's a bit silly if you are having problems with your account or have been hacked.

Try calling 132200 and seeing if you can get a senesible solution.

@Gamgees  - this seems a bit of a strange decision from Telstra, are you able to draw attention to the matter?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How do I change my email password. There is no 'Password' option in personal details

In My Account, you get either the option to "use your existing password" or via email, which you are correct, is useless if you have forgotten your password and can't access your email (or in my case, if the telstra.com email address that my profile is associated with no longer exists).

There should be an option to send a code to the registered mobile on the account at the very least.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

@Jupiter That "use existing password" option doesn't show in either of my Telstra accounts on the 'Reset Password' link at sign-in, just the email option. Note the wording..  'we'll email you a link for resetting... "

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Jupiter

I've got you. Yes, that's the only option that comes up if you click on the reset link at login (which is completely useless if you can't get into your email).

If you get in to My Telstra, go to the Profile page and then security settings, I get this (which may be marginally better if someone can get into My Telstra but not Telstra Mail). They should still have an option for sending a code or link via SMS (to the registered mobile number only) in any case.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jupiter

Potential workaround for people who can't remember their password and hence can't access their Telstra Mail or My Telstra.

If they don't have another email account, create a Gmail or Outlook account.

Call 132200 and ask the consultant to change the email address on your account, the verification code should be sent to your mobile for ID purposes.

You should then be able to click on the Forgot Password link and the email will be sent to the new email address.

The password can then be changed, access restored, and then the email address for the account can be changed back through My Telstra.

I just tried the link and it gets sent through to the email address that I have specified for my account, rather than the telstra.com email address that is associated with my profile.

SteveW_52

@Jupiter   in going that way, through My Telstra, that option allows you to change the Telstra ID password, but what if that is not the email address you want to update?

It is the same in My Account..

More evidence I guess. that Telstra only wants you to use a single email account for everything?  I already have my nominated account email as GMail/Outlook ones..

I totally agree there should be other options, SMS included, but in most cases users will try to log in using what the think are their usual credentials for webmail. My Account, My Telstra etc. So if the log-in doesn't work there should a link from that sign-in page to reset/change the username/password?

Stevo 52
Jupiter

Unfortunately I can't check what happens with secondary Telstra Mail email accounts for the reset password option.

Telstra Mail is a terrible system. The end user management is worse than the most basic of hosted accounts. It's no wonder that they put it on life support.

Firebird82
Support Team
Support Team

Hi SteveW_52, Bit of a confusing blunder there. If you are still requiring some further assistance, please shoot us a PM and we will help in any way we can.

SteveW_52

@Firebird82   and even more confusing from your post. I am not the one with the real problem. I just checked what was available to me and agreed that it was a bit silly for Telstra to send a reset email (the only option available in most locations where you would want to do that, while trying to log in),  to a customer who is already having trouble accessing that email account...

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit