Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

How to fix The connection to host imap.telstra.com on port 993 failed.

I see that I am one of many people who experience similar issues with BIGPOND mail setting on MACOS (MOJAVE) mail app. I have tried all the port combinations available and nothing works. I cannot receive BOGPOND mail on my MACBOOK PRO but I can send it. Something changed about 3 weeks ago but don't know what, because it worked before that. Interesting that BIGPOND mail works fine on my IOS mobile phone and IPAD with the same settings that do not work on my MACBOOK PRO (MACOS MOJAVE). This points the finger to a MOJAVE upgrade. Telstra hasn't come up with anything-other priorities during COVID-19 Any ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Re: How to fix The connection to host imap.telstra.com on port 993 failed.

Suggest you totally remove your email account from your email client and add it again using default settings. 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
Highlighted

Thanks for that. I have tried that several times with both IMAP and POP but get the same message "unable to verify account name or password". The exact same settings are used on my IPAD and IPHONE with no issues and I can access WEBAMIL> So now I'm thinking its a MACOS MOJAVE issue. 

Any other suggestions?

Highlighted

Humour me and delete the email account from your ipad and tell me if you successfully added it back with imap.

Highlighted

OK, interesting. You obviously have a theory.

I deleted the account from my IPHONE and then added a new IMAP email account for BIGPOND. 

1.The mail account verified, INBOX and SENT mail boxes were downloaded using the default settings. 

2. the default settings for incoming and outgoing servers were 'mail.bigpond.com'

3. Unable to send mail: 'the sender address is invalid'.

Highlighted

My suggestion was to see if you can setup the email account on your ipad not your iphone.

Let me know if you delete the email account from your working ipad and you are able to re-add the account successfully. This will tell me you have your credentials correct.

Highlighted

Okay I read this thread again to understand where you are at. It seems your login credentials have changed at some point hence why you were not able to successfully setup your email on your phone. I suggest you log into your Telstra account and change your password.

Highlighted

Changing the password broke everything. I can access telstra webmail with my new password but my bigpond account does not work on any of my devices (MACBOOK PRO, IPHONE, IPAD. Same message,l 'unable to verify username or password'.

I am using the recommended IMAP settings but they don't verify.

Any ideas?

Highlighted

Delete the account from your ipad under settings —- passwords and Accounts—-

then

Add account

make sure you select “other”

make sure when entering the credentials you type them in carefully. select imap on top of next screen. Goodluck.

Highlighted

Deleting and adding using 'other' email account has been a repeat performance without much success.

I copy/paste the password from KEYCHAIN to make sure I get it right 

1.On MACBOOK PRO (MOJAVE) Unable to find any setting that verifies account details. At the very beginning when adding a new account, the mail client simply wont verify the account.

2. on IPAD, I now have a BIGPOND IMAP mail account that can receive email but can't send.

Message is that "CANNOT SEND MAIL, the sender address was invalid;'-but it's my own email address.

I am using SMTP outgoing server, port 465 SSL, with password authentication. The account verifies correctly.  the user name and password field are left empty. If I fill them in, I keep getting requests for the password even though it is filled in. 'The message is 'cannot verify...'

Any ideas?

Highlighted

When adding your account you should only need to enter the incoming and outgoing server name as mail.bigpond.com. 

Highlighted

I just added my bigpond account successfully. All you need to enter is your email address and password. Everything else will self populate such as the incoming email server mail.bigpond.com

the outgoing server

mail.bigpond.com

email optional

password optional 

do not fill in the optional detail and click save

Highlighted

It should be that simple. I have deleted the bigpond account from all devices and added new bigpond accounts.  I've followed all the instructions.

1. MACOS MAIL does not automatically populate server details. At the outset, MACOS MAIL (or other MAIL client) cannot verify the account after username and password are entered, no server details are populated. These are the SAME details used to access WEBMAIL and to set up IPHONE and IPAD accounts.

2. I can send bigpond email from IPHIONE and IPAD

3. I cannot send email from either IPHONE and IPAD. The credentials are correct.

4. I cannot set up a bigpond mail account on MACBOOK PRO (CATALINA). It doesn't matter what credentials I use, the same ones as IPAD, IPHONE, or even if I use a different email client. I used SPARK email client-same issue, the account will not verify SMPTP details using TELSTRA settings

5. I can access WEBMAIL. So username and password are correct

6. Telstra won't touch this for as long as I can access WEBMAIL. This can't be about account credentials. My next step is to try to set up BIGPOND mail account on a WINDOWS PC. If this doesn't work it's a TELSTRA problem.

6. I can't think of anything else, other than a change to OPTUS.

Highlighted

Item 3 and 4 is contradictory.

refer to telstra email setup instructions below...

This article shows you how to add a Telstra email account automatically to your Mac mail program on OSX 10.5 to 10.10 and above. It also has a manual setup option with the mail server details you‘ll need.

Before you start

You'll need your Telstra email address and password.

Forgotten your password? You can retrieve your email address or password here.

Good to know:

• You may incur data charges when you setup and use your Telstra Mail® account.

Automatic set up:

To add a Telstra email address to your MacMail:

1. Go to the Apple menu and select Mail, then select Preferences
  2. On the ‘Accounts’ tab, select the + symbol
  3. Enter your name, your Telstra email address and password, and select Sign in
  4. Select Done Your new email account should be successfully added.
    BUT if automatic set up doesn’t work:
  5. Select Next to set up your Telstra email address manually.

Manual set up:

• Please use the settings below:
    Manual configuration settings

• Account type: IMAP
    • Incoming email server: imap.telstra.com
    • Outgoing (SMTP) email server: smtp.telstra.com
      Select Continue
      Incoming Mail Security
    • Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL): Ticked
    • Authentication: Password
      Outgoing Mail Server
    • Outgoing mail server: smtp.telstra.com
    • Use Authentication: Ticked
      Outgoing Mail Security
    • Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL): Ticked
    • Authentication: Password
      Account Summary
    • Take account online: Ticked

1. Select Create. Your new email account should now be added.

Highlighted

Quite right. They are contradictory. 

Furthermore, I have tried to set up BIGPOND mail account on a WINDOWS PC using both OUTLOOK and MOZilla THUNDERBIRD mail clients.

OUTLOOK will not verify the mail account. THUNDERBIRD can receive email but cannot send (‘login to SMTP server failed’).

Contradictory again. So the common factor are the account credentials-I’ll go back to scratch and reset passwords & try again.

TELSTRA Platinum support is an option? (So long s I’m not paying to fix their problem)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit