Errol65
Level 1: Cadet

I cannot access emails in Office 365

My Office 365 Outlook stopped receiving my bigpond.com emails on Monday.  I have checked settings &  rebooted. A popup asking me to 'Enter you user name and password for the server' pops up with the correct details but nothing happens when I click OK, except that the popup appears again moments later.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Dowser
Level 19: Deputy Director

Re: I cannot access emails in Office 365

Do the username and password you are using successfully log in to Telstra Webmail?.

Errol65

Yes, but emails since 2016 setup do not appear.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

You can try extending the 'Server Timeout' for the affected account in Outlook 

If you have set up that account in Outlook as IMAP, then the previous emails may have been deleted off the server, depending on the account receive settings. IMAP 'synchs' the email account across devices, so delete it one place, deletes it everywhere.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dowser

@Dowser wrote:

Do the username and password you are using successfully log in to Telstra Webmail?.

That being the case, it appears to be an Outlook problem.

Try recreating your account profile within Outlook.

SteveW_52

@Dowser   not so sure that it is the email client causing it - happens on different clients and different devices and just lately it seems to be happening 'suddenly' to a lot of different users..  and then suddenly comes right some time later..  my money is still on it being a server issue..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Dowser

You could be correct Steve, but then you could be wrong. Smiley Happy

Errol65 could install the free email client Thunderbird, and see if it works okay. If it does then the finger points at Outlook as having the issue.

SteveW_52

I have outlook on many devices and it works fine with my Telstra/Bigpond accounts, but then so does GMail, Thunderbird, Mailspring etc. even the inbuilt Windows Mail app..  other posters seem to have no trouble either..  and some posters advise that it 'came right'...

Can't imagine that outlook would be account sensitive like that - i.e. work for some Telstra/Bigpond accounts, but not for others? That behaviour is more like a server issue - and Telstra has had a lot of trouble with servers in recent times, with no update on any cause being provided so far..  

Stevo 52
Errol65

Thank you - but nothing changed in my setup when Bigpond stopped.

Errol65

Thank you - yes I have tried that.

PLO78

Even worse - my mother's email history has completely disappeared as of last Thursday.  Nothing on the webmail inbox or deleted/trash folders in the same. She was deleting some spam, which should show up in the trash folders. But she does not know how to delete everything. 

Pretty mysterious so far - that's  years of old mails . Like the problem back in 2017?   

Dowser

@Errol65 wrote:

Thank you - yes I have tried that.

To help determine if it is an Outlook or server issue, could you download the free email client Thunderbird.

Once configured you can then check if it can access your emails.

NB: set it up to use IMAP instead of POP

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit