Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

IMAP recieving problems

Answered

Have moved a bigpond.net.au email account from POP to IMAP and am having trouble receiving emails. There are emails visible on Webmail that aren't being downloaded to Outlook 2016. I have the account set up on two computers (Outlook 2016) and an iPhone 6 and the Inbox is different on all three. The IMAP settings are as per Telstra's instructions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: IMAP recieving problems

Spent 2 hours with online chat tech support and was eventually told by one tech, despite Telstra telling me to switch to IMAP, my account was still POP. They confirmed all settings were correct but and tested with a few emails. Some arrived, some didn't. Some appeared briefly then disappeared.

Was then elevated to a higher level and told IMAP doesn't work for everyone and to swap back to POP. Have done so and all emails now working. So much for new technology!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Did you try to convert the existing email account by changing server settings or did you set up a new account in the email client?

In most email clients you need to set up a new email account and delete the old one when converting from pop to imap.

Highlighted

Deleted the old accounts and set up new ones.

Highlighted

Are these the settings?

Incoming server details

• Incoming server address: imap.telstra.com
  • Incoming server port: 993
  • Encrypted connection: SSL

Outgoing server details

• Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com
  • Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587
  • SMTP authentication: On
  • Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587

Username & Password

• Enter your full email address (ending in ‘@bigpond.com’, ‘@bigpond.net.au’ or ‘@telstra.com’)
  • Enter your Telstra email account password (case sensitive)

Other settings to check

• Ensure the checkbox is ticked for ‘Outgoing server requires authentication’

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Highlighted

Yes

Highlighted

Are all the emails not being downloaded or only the older emails? Some email clients set to IMAP only download the most recent emails.

Highlighted

No, its more to do with new emails. Emails received yesterday and today:

Webmail: 9

Outlook: 1

iPhone: 0

Sometimes new emails will appear briefly and then disappear. This happened today, Outlook had more emails in it this morning that have now disappeared. They weren't deleted and they're still on webmail.

Highlighted

Tried deleting and recreating the Outlook account again. When Outlook is opened all the current emails briefly appear then many disappear again. The same result can be obtained by deleting the OST file.

Highlighted

Is AutoArchive on?

Highlighted

Autoarchiving is disabled.

Highlighted

Haven't heard anything further on this? The problem is ongoing. Emails are briefly downloaded and then disappear.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Does this happen if you only have one active email client configured and open?

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Yes, just tested this my turning off iPhone. Webmail had 6 new emails in the Inbox, Outlook only shows 1.
On Webmail moved the emails out of the Inbox into another folder. They immediately appeared in Outlook in the other folder. On Webmail moved them back to the Inbox, now Outlook shows 2 out of the 6.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Because IMAP synchronises against the copy on the server (webmail) it is unusual that there is a misalignment such as what you describe. When you contacted Tech Support to have this investigated, what did they advise? - Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Spent 2 hours with online chat tech support and was eventually told by one tech, despite Telstra telling me to switch to IMAP, my account was still POP. They confirmed all settings were correct but and tested with a few emails. Some arrived, some didn't. Some appeared briefly then disappeared.

Was then elevated to a higher level and told IMAP doesn't work for everyone and to swap back to POP. Have done so and all emails now working. So much for new technology!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I have exactly the same problem setting up Outlook and iPhone to read emails from my secondary email address (XXX@bigpond.com) using IMAP. The emails that appear in webmail are only sometimes appearing in the clients in Outlook and on Phone, and then sometimes randomly disappear.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Far out.. this is ridiculous... so widespread...

I have the same problem! Webmail gets all my emails but on my iphone its over a week out of sync!

SO much for upgrading to a new mail system Telstra!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi mickeyj23, 

I've replied to your post on the other thread here 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit